Urgent notice from RAIB today

Very well put Mike, and I think it sums it up nicely. BTW I did mention to my LOM when the Handbooks were handed out why I wasn't given any, and therefore won't know what everyone else would be doing, only to be told that I didn't need to know.

Andy g

I get things in my updates that I don’t need.

• RMweb Gold

I get things in my updates that I don’t need.

Ah, controlled documents! A marvellous way of creating employment and felling trees. I found myself on the thin end of this for a year or so. What happens, of course, is that the inserts pile up as you can’t be bothered to make daily insertions. It is thus no more effective than the old P/EW or Section C items - but it meets some ISO standard and your employer is thus a top firm.

I doubt very much that 130 metres of flat-bottomed rail would have cleared the fence, that is one heavy piece of material. IMO it would have been pushed as far as the sleeper ends at best.

Regards, Ian.

I see the report has a nice picture of the displaced rail up against the boundary fence, what were you saying about it, IYO, only reaching the sleeper ends?

Figure_3.jpg

Edited by royaloak

I see the report has a nice picture of the displaced rail up against the boundary fence, what were you saying about it, IYO, only reaching the sleeper ends?

Figure_3.jpg

I remember some years ago being sent light engine to move a long welded rail that had been dropped about 1/2 a mile out of place. The rail was in the four foot and after it was chained up to the drawbar, I stayed in the rear cab and when we moved away, admittedly a bit fast ( I quickly got told to slow down!) the rail was flapping round like a fish out of water!

A supervisor I knew once borrowed the unloading cables off one of the old single bolster CWR trains, hooked them up to a pair of 600' rails put the other end over a locos draw hook and had them pulled three miles up the Midland Main Line. Fortunately for him the S&T did not figure out how their trackend cables had got damaged.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Figure_3.jpg

Yep, you got me there - the photo doesn't lie. However, not all the rail deflected to the boundary fence, indeed, about half did only make it to the sleeper ends. And none of it cleared the fence - as one post suggested it might!

Regards, Ian.