Important Changes At Chivers Finelines

finelines

• RMweb Premium

Due to health Chivers Finelines has been slowly withering away an the vine so we have been forced to take some radical decisions which I can now reveal. The business is to be split three ways.

Firstly at our peak we had about 120 kits, many of which are out of production, so my son Matthew is taking on the job of re-introducing the more popular ones. These are in etched brass and whitemetal and are mostly in 4mm scale standard gauge. He has set up a web site at http://www.five79.co.uk/

Secondly we have been having great difficulty keeping our major stockists supplied with our 0n30 and 016.5 so we are bringing this into the family as well. My son Simon is going to take over the retail sales of this under the name of Slim Rails. This is the final part of the jigsaw to drop into place.

This leaves me free to develop my 00 gauge range of plastic kits and keep supplying Parkside with 009 kits.

All three of us have plans for new products.

Roger

I hope this will ease the burden on keeping the individual ranges going and it's good news indeed for fans. I wish you all the very best of luck with this and look forward to seeing the Thompson 6w in the near future!

Due to health Chivers Finelines has been slowly withering away an the vine so we have been forced to take some radical decisions which I can now reveal. The business is to be split three ways.

Firstly at our peak we had about 120 kits, many of which are out of production, so my son Matthew is taking on the job of re-introducing the more popular ones. These are in etched brass and whitemetal and are mostly in 4mm scale standard gauge. He has set up a web site at http://www.five79.co.uk/

Secondly we have been having great difficulty keeping our major stockists supplied with our 0n30 and 016.5 so we are bringing this into the family as well. My son Simon is going to take over the retail sales of this under the name of Slim Rails. This is the final part of the jigsaw to drop into place.

This leaves me free to develop my 00 gauge range of plastic kits and keep supplying Parkside with 009 kits.

Roger

Good luck for the future, Roger - I don't suppose you can find any offspring who like 'N' gauge, can you...? :)

Best wishes,

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I have tried to split up the business fairly between the boys. I have not made a decision about the N gauge, partly because it gives me room for manoeuvre if I've got it wrong and partly because since we've stopped supplying wheels, couplings and brass buffers (now whitemetal) they fall in line with our 00 gauge wagons.

Incidentally, we have been passing some of our N gauge to our local Model Shop "Tansport Models" who put them into their eBay shop.

Roger

Sounds like a very wise move to me Roger and I wish you all the best with the reshuffled business.

Any new or rereleased kits will be gratefulyl recieved at this end - especially if they're up to the standard of the MDV!

Pix

Sounds like a very wise move to me Roger and I wish you all the best with the reshuffled business.

Any new or rereleased kits will be gratefulyl recieved at this end - especially if they're up to the standard of the MDV!

Pix

Seconded Roger

Best of luck for the future

• RMweb Premium

[quote name='finelines' date='09 April 2010 - 12:23 ' timestamp='1270812229' post='118337']

Roger

Great news Roger. I certainly am looking forward to getting my hands on more of your products. All the very best to you all and good luck. Very Sincerely, Phil R @ 36E

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought I would bring you up to date on the news since I announced that there would be important changes, because although it’s less than a month things are beginning to happen.

With hindsight I realise that this has been the worst crisis in my life since I took early retirement from work a long time ago and I have even considered complete retirement. I took the first posting since Christmas to the post office yesterday, but just how long it will take to clear the backlog I can’t say. I imagine several weeks.

The efforts my sons have been making made me realise how much I had let things slip.

Matthew (Five79) started first and has already been producing the 016.5 loco body kits and I understand the first batch of the much sought after bogie LNER CCT’s are selling well.

Simon (Slimrails) is getting to grips with the 016.5 and 0n30 plastic wagons with 3 types of 4w opens available.

Please support them, they are not only helping me, but they have rescued things that would almost certainly have disappeared.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

Good for you, Roger, and your family. I wish you all the very best and will, of course, do my bit to support your business!

How good it must be to have other family members that share your hobby, too!

Archived