Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

Tony, please keep me posted on Bluebird project.   If you want any views within or without please email me.   What material are you proposing for the model, please?   I may well be a customer for you as £105 plus mech costs have put me off buying the TramAds version.   Colin.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers Colin, not the first tram model I have attempted but the first two were in card and basic stores trams. Plasticard will be the medium but might make a card mock up …

Tony

Edited by thirty2a

Has anyone produced London trams by 3 D printing ? Ideally home printing or using a small agency. I would imagine anything done through Shapeways would be ridiculously expensive.

3D printing should make it reasonably easy to produce lots of detail variations without having to physically alter anything.

Edited by wainwright1
added info
  • Like 1

Luckily living on the route of the old trams having a stroll and taking pics is simple enough! That road name has been there a few years me thinks. And the other side of the arches at Jarrow Road. Might be a good name for the layout…

53647011-BCAB-4778-AECF-C775797E72B3.jpeg

A008F4EF-D9FC-4436-B75B-0B56D0759F69.jpeg

• Like 1

On 02/10/2022 at 14:37, thirty2a said:

Luckily living on the route of the old trams having a stroll and taking pics is simple enough! That road name has been there a few years me thinks. And the other side of the arches at Jarrow Road. Might be a good name for the layout…

53647011-BCAB-4778-AECF-C775797E72B3.jpeg

A008F4EF-D9FC-4436-B75B-0B56D0759F69.jpeg

I wonder why they put a street sign in that particular position ?

Any trains for Southwark Park Station ?

See you tonight, lots of cake to eat.

All the best

Ray

4 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

not sure, I need to find old pictures of the area now.. looks like a lamp bracket as well!

yep, cake night tonight so no modelling?

Are they bringing diabetic cake 

and gluten free for Steve ?

Edited by wainwright1
Extra info.

6 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

not sure, I need to find old pictures of the area now.. looks like a lamp bracket as well!

yep, cake night tonight so no modelling?

I suppose that the sign was more or less opposite the original South Bermondsey Station.

This Faller depot has been used as various things in several layouts but I realised that actually it has a strong resemblance to both the London bus and Acton museum depots.

the logical thing to do in that case is to create museum depot tram..

still in the previous location and have heritage route from Old Kent Road (canal bridge) to Greenwich, I know your thinking he has finally lost the plot but…

that opens up the possibility of the preserved London and other trams running, a short section of conduit in the yard for demo but due to health and safety it would no longer be allowed to run through the streets to Greenwich. 

A82A924A-75BE-4071-9804-FE7F41BECC53.jpeg

285F7EB8-431B-422F-BA34-11993A6F2186.jpeg

On 02/10/2022 at 14:38, thirty2a said:

The n gauge layout is dumping ground at the moment

8F7B417F-8E53-4C40-8637-57EF271F16F1.jpeg

80427C9E-921F-4786-B2E5-98F14170987A.jpeg

Tony, just seen in the top picture that you have that awful OOC version of Cissie with the blocked-in end curved window.   I could not believe that the sun shining on that window in a view meant it was blocked!!!   At the time of release, I and others waded through loads of photos of the car including Matterface's brake test accident with the car on handing it over to Sunderland.   All that was thought then was that something had happened in Sunderland's hands but that could not be confirmed photographically.   You are going to have overhead if you want to run Cissie!!!

• Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

Slowly removing said window paint F527DCB3-5858-4AC0-877B-01FAAF8AD77D.jpeg.7a596f8c96fb6504b94cea21d572a367.jpeg

Well done, saves buying a Cissie without the painted windows just to transfer the glazing!   By the way, keep this strictly as a museum model because there never ever was a service 30 to Paddington.   The car was built for the MET service 40 which became LPTB 45 and was intended as a crowd shifter from Golders Green station when the Northern Line ended there.   The MET even designed the turning circle within the station frontage but it was never built.

As ever the font of knowledge Colin, I am going to re number it in light of the Red Lion routes and Heritage museum depot. I will have to have all the remaining London Transport trams so I guess that gives us the numbers and classes..

So, you have 4 production Felthams, two E/1s, Bluebird, and HR2 as service cars.   For the production Felthams I assume all are 'modified' with the air vents in the stair panels as per 2085, at Kennebunkport nick-named the "Queen of Telford".   For the museum like 331, 106 is ideal.   If you need to have a snowbroom then 022, 033 and 034 are good prototypes.   LPTB did have a double deck B class in 045.   What is your WH, please?   There are variants within this Ian Allan classification.   I am surprised not to see 2054 in your list - the most accurate model of an ex-Walthamstow in final LTE condition from the Tower enclosed kit of the 9 vestibuled from new.   If you let me know the chosen fleet numbers then I can confirm if there are any differences to watch out for.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Colin,

I like your thinking, 106 it is then, could have 022 as well as a before and after scenario..

all numbers will be easy as they are known preserved or should have been preserved examples, the only real question is what condition to run them in but there is scope for more than one version in that case I guess, as we know 331 for example has had a few guises! The WH is in the transport museum 102 if memory serves.

tony

Tony, from what I see in the pictures is that the Felthams are OOC ones.   If one is 2104 then leave it in its LPTB condition just changing destination and service number to suit your public service.   You could then just renumber the other three and change to run the same service as 2104.   2085 was in LPTB livery when Charlton restored it to pre-war condition, and it got named in the cabs.   However, you would have to paint the headlamps to be shielded - silver aperture one end and red the other!   Shortly I should finish changing LPTB 2104 into LTE 2104 with paint and legal lettering changes so suggest you await till I post photos.   Already the trolley ropes are in place!

Your WH numbered 102 is in fact a West Ham type D/LPTB type HD.   The best kit is by KW Trams as the Keil Kraft one is at 1/72nd and it notices.   Whichever one you decide you will still have to do some alteration with the lower deck saloon windows as the car was rebuilt from having a six window lower saloon.   Remember for years this car was exhibited at Clapham and Covent Garden in LPTB red/cream as 290.   Alas when chosen in 1938 for preservation LPTB took 290 from the twelve remaining four-wheelers in West Ham depot.   There were cars in the line that still had part of the plough carriers in place - just think of the tours it could have made in post-war south London!!!

Is your B class a BEC/ABS or ABS kit?   This is based on the ex-Bexley Bs bought from LCC and only ones to be in passenger service with LPTB.   Kept the Bexley livery with LPTB L/L but numbered with suffix C although they were given LPTB fleet numbers they were replaced by M class very quickly so never repainted or renumbered.

The three snow brooms given had all been at Streatham/Brixton Hill.   Another non-passenger regular weekly visitor to these depots were the stores vans and sand van 016.

Bluebird is a choice of blue/white (LCC/LPTB) or red/cream (LPTB/LTE).   If blue then for the museum but in red could go into public service with the Felthams.

What type of E/1 and HR/2 have you?   More thought for you!

• Like 1

thanks for replying so quickly Colin, honestly I have the felthams an idea about Bluebird and a card HR2, 1x tower E1 just visible in an early pic. the 'project' is not much more than an idea at the moment but think the trams will come together quicker than the layout! 3 Felthams are already motorised but no mods have been done as yet.

I need to check photos as I think the plough carriers are in place on 290/102..

tony

Edited by thirty2a