Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

8 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Yes Tony, You have it right and do what I had started upon.   RNR terminating at Old Canal Bridge without crossing to reach OKR,   Stub terminal then turns left into depot which I was having as a working museum with extension out the back for the works cars.   The as required museum service was numbered 90 and ran to Surrey Docks/Quays station.   The break point in RNR was the bridge carrying the Southern lines out of London Bridge.   All the best, Colin.

Hi Colin.

Glad to see you are well.

Now presumably that would be the point where the South London Line crossed RNR ?

There used to be a small British Road Services Depot on the east side of the road there which could make for a nice backscene.

Just thought about it, you would have to cross under the Bricklayers Arms Branch bridge before you got to the main lines from London Bridge. That would also make for some interesting scenics where the road dipped under.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

Correct Tony, the SL for which "Recreation21" on Shapeways does the 2-SL units!   Somewhere I have the views of my RNR when construction started with the Recreation paved conduit track.   If they surface then I will attach.   

By the way service 80 was Embankment to West Norwood until replaced by subway serivce 33 in 1931.   The LCC horse service 88 joined the service 90 at RNR.   Colin.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Yes Tony, You have it right and do what I had started upon.   RNR terminating at Old Canal Bridge without crossing to reach OKR,   Stub terminal then turns left into depot which I was having as a working museum with extension out the back for the works cars.   The as required museum service was numbered 90 and ran to Surrey Docks/Quays station.   The break point in RNR was the bridge carrying the Southern lines out of London Bridge.   All the best, Colin.

Go on Tony model the working horse trams !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tony.

If you look at KW Trams kit range, they do the old Varney/ABS kit for the London horse tram.

There are two versions, the original Mr Train' s tram which I think is fairly accurate, and there is also an LCC version which is supposed to represent the Ha'penny bumper. Unfortunately, the later version does not really look the part as the roof is incorrect, it should be clerestoried, but could be modified. There are a number of pictures of the bumper to refer to.

1984685405_HapennyBumper.jpg.a19ecd8bf8150c72938c2193216ce911.jpg

This one at the Old Kent Road terminus (St James Road) I think is the best.

All the best

Ray

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Tony.

If you look at KW Trams kit range, they do the old Varney/ABS kit for the London horse tram.

There are two versions, the original Mr Train' s tram which I think is fairly accurate, and there is also an LCC version which is supposed to represent the Ha'penny bumper. Unfortunately, the later version does not really look the part as the roof is incorrect, it should be clerestoried, but could be modified. There are a number of pictures of the bumper to refer to.

1984685405_HapennyBumper.jpg.a19ecd8bf8150c72938c2193216ce911.jpg

This one at the Old Kent Road terminus (St James Road) I think is the best.

All the best

Ray

yes Ray,

like I said to you I think one or two may be in order and the Connelly rail motor which would need scratch building.

The KW site is actually going to be getting some business from me I think, lots of useful bits and pieces on there by the looks of it.. 

that is the picture of what I want to re create as the terminus, not sure turning the horses will be very prototypical though!

I checked the maps last night and there appears to be two loops between there and the bridge carrying the BL branch on RNR, I intended the depot to actually be in the vee with the line coming in on what is now Raymouth Road, so a little past the bridges.

Tony

Edited by thirty2a

1 hour ago, thirty2a said:

yes Ray,

like I said to you I think one or two may be in order and the Connelly rail motor which would need scratch building.

The KW site is actually going to be getting some business from me I think, lots of useful bits and pieces on there by the looks of it.. 

that is the picture of what I want to re create as the terminus, not sure turning the horses will be very prototypical though!

I checked the maps last night and there appears to be two loops between there and the bridge carrying the BL branch on RNR, I intended the depot to actually be in the vee with the line coming in on what is now Raymouth Road, so a little past the bridges.

Tony

Hi Tony.

You could do what they did on a line I have seen a film of in the USA. They mounted the body with a pivot in the centre, and the whole body rotated through 180 degrees when the tram got to the end of the line ! Mind you, you will also have to produce the 'Spotty Dog' type horses with daggly legs that move as the tram goes along. That should be fun.

All the best

Ray

• Funny 1

I attach views of my RNR in the construction stage reached before I reviewed my direction of travel with London's trams.   The depot track branches off before the terminal stub (Canal Bridge end).   There is only one operational road through the depot (Kingsway's Brixton Hill kit) leading to the back yard.   The depot's parallel tracks are static display lines.   Where the straight paved track ends at the Deptford end is the position of the SL bridge the curved paved track ending with OO track after the turn into the fiddle.   On starting RNR I did a historical reasoning for post-WW1 restoration of the RNR line to provide a direct dock workers shuttle from Old Kent Road to the Surrey Commercial Docks at PLA request upon return of peacetime.   The LCC responded favourably upon seeing its own post-war backlog of car maintenance plus new E/1s with the CRD site not being able to expand.   It also allowed the cramped overhead electrified Evelyn Street depot to be closed as well as giving capacity to house Class N single deckers for the south side run out in respect of the proposed extension through the Blackwall Tunnel to Poplar (Poplar depot holding the north side run out) should the 1920 Tramways Bill be enacted fully.   Finally Rotherhithe depot would be an overflow to New Cross depot.   

Also added are the original experimental board to test the use of ordinary OO track with pavements and roadway from Kingsway, Metcalfe and Street Level card.   Colin.

RNR stage 3 a.jpg

RNR stage 3 b.jpg

Kingsway exptl layout 1.jpg

Kingsway exptl layout 4.jpg

• Round of applause 1

The RNR boards were balsa with a card covering on top of the balsa surface should I have to reuse the boards.   Problem I have is space and my wife does not like the dining table in its extended form.   I could have changed the boards round but it would have diminished RNR.   Having to store it in a cold garage was its downfall.   Finding I had a suitable sized single wooden board for a double track circular line there underwrote the change to an old concept "High Road" - Streatham, Greenwich.   Colin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

Sorry if  missed this on an earlier post. I understand picture 1 but what is the base and rail of picture 2. Or is it just a printed paper sheet?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I actually just put the trams on those paper sheets to pose them, that’s all, not part of the layout but will use them once progress gets that far ..

38 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Tony, when you get round to revising your Feltham fleet numbers from 2104, let me know as I can provide the full advert details carried both sides at a single time for many of them.   My 10 Felthams were treated this way.   Colin.

Thanks Colin,

I will be in touch, will show pics as I take them apart for motors..

• Thanks 1

Took the dog on route survey, if I base the scenic line between the bridges, single line is ok and two scenic breaks, win win. The fist pic is site of depot corner of Raymouth Road. The history and geography is coming together now. Might need to use a cassette system for the OKR end if use all together as one layout but assuming there would be still at least one loop towards OKR lends itself to some operations on 88 and 90 routes.

B9BAD15B-D512-4582-B314-72B41EE0DE80.jpeg

C5DCE5F7-7D7A-462B-B6EE-5088AC75EDEC.jpeg

924D9F2A-7A4F-43F9-A3AA-3CF47D88D558.jpeg

Edited by thirty2a

23 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Took the dog on route survey, if I base the scenic line between the bridges, single line is ok and two scenic breaks, win win. The fist pic is site of depot corner of Raymouth Road. The history and geography is coming together now. Might need to use a cassette system for the OKR end if use all together as one layout but assuming there would be still at least one loop towards OKR lends itself to some operations on 88 and 90 routes.

B9BAD15B-D512-4582-B314-72B41EE0DE80.jpeg

C5DCE5F7-7D7A-462B-B6EE-5088AC75EDEC.jpeg

924D9F2A-7A4F-43F9-A3AA-3CF47D88D558.jpeg

All our yesterdays.

Picture 1.

If it is on the site of that three storey building on the left, there was previously a depot (Chapel of Rest) for Udens the undertakers there for many years.

I worked in the offices in the building on the right under the flats for around five years. The access was from the courtyard at the rear. (Silwood Depot)

Picture 2.

The arches of the London and Greenwich Railway. Over to the right end, just hidden from view, are the remains of the Halfway House, a public house which occupied the first arches to be let having opened in 1834, two years before the railway actually started operations. I can remember it being open and it closed in the early 1960's.

Picture 3.

Stepping back a bit. The high wall on the right hand side was in fact the back end of the Rotherhithe Road coach sidings which were quite extensive and at a higher level than the road. Now that would make for an interesting backscene.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Extra info.
  • Informative/Useful 1