Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

Sorry, Tony, but that it is the space where it went.   As you can see a dog-guard had been fitted to cover the accesses to it.   The associated cabling and the switch boxes had also gone with the carrier assembly in the mid-1930s.   

By the way I see what looks like three E/1s in the picture.   If you would like to send a view of them, I will help determine the best number range for each model.   Colin.  

yes Colin, when I re looked at the pictures I realised that! as you know i'm still a relative novice. 

I think there may be pics early in the topic but I will photo them, one is Alpha Graphix HR2, one is Tower Enclosed E1 and the other is Corgi LT 4 wheeler but that is over scale to be used as is but... the plan is to motorise it and take the top deck off and use as snow broom or stores car.. I have the motorising kit.

Tony, going by fleet number.

102 (290) What kit or Corgi?     1 I know you are scratch building.      1025 If this is a Tower kit have you changed the upper ends or is it from BEC kit 12?     355 (2099) If the OOC Metropolitan car then you have the retooled better body.   However, the car having the original caution notice was not modified at that time.     022 (106) Probably best left as 106.     022(II) Which Corgi is this that you are to reduce to single deck.   Ex-MET 05 was the wind-screened London works car and that was a Sand Van, all others being open fronted.     526 Is this the OOC Leeds Feltham?   In London it was a class E conduit only car.   1622 Are you scratch or kit building this?   The comments for 1025 apply.     159 Is this the LUT car preserved at Crich?   Otherwise, 159 was a conduit only HR/2.   1858 I assume is the Alphagraphix card kit.

• Thanks 1

This is where an index of pictures in books would be useful, I wish I had the time to do it but with near on 50 books now it would be a labour of love.

I need to find relevant pics of the above preserved cars in service and now and decide on relevant mods..

I think that will be the next job especial re Felthams, as for the WH102, kit I guess. the Corgi 4 wheeler is enclosed Dick Kerr type I think.

Just now, thirty2a said:

Thanks for the pic, I had heard it had been badly treated.

The problem there is the sheer quantity of vehicles (there are Buses/Trolleybuses and a few Lorries as well as the Streetcars/Interurbans/Rapid Transit cars) that they have there and a seemingly limited volunteer workforce to actually carry out restoration work, let alone operate the museum for the Public.  Main catchment area for volunteers seems to be Boston and that's a fair drive away from the site.

I managed to get round all of the storage buildings on that visit and saw everything they had on site, which easily numbered in the hundreds of vehicles.  The Blackpool Standard was being worked on with a view to it being operated again, but the wheel profiles precluded them ever running any of the other UK (and possibly European) cars in the collection, and thats without worrying about simple things to remedy like raising the overhead wire height to cater for double deckers.

There will be some other photos from Seashore in my "40 Years of North American Photography" thread in a week or so's time as I'll be dealing with the Sept 2013 trip starting from Wednesday this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I have that and other views of September 2013.   It was then in a worse condition than when I inspected it in the mid-1990s when assessing the cost and legality of returning to UK and putting back into service as the Q of T in 1938 condition on transfer to Streatham.   My assessment was £1m. and I expected very favourable terms from any container line using Tilbury!!!   However, I was a little apprehensive about frame distortion from its outward journey being deck cargo from Liverpool.

Kennebunkport is Maine, NW of Boston.   It has not been badly treated; sharing a roofed barn with half of a NY Subway car either side.   A massive attempt had been made in starting as I found with the mass of pipe-work I encountered but not easily recognising some.   Alas I understood that the owner's then enthusiasm had waned, so I considered using my brother-in-law's NY firm for negotiation of purchase and to clear US law on exporting historical items.   With retirement then almost upon me I decided not to go any further and concentrate financial resources on other projects.   

• Like 1

Tony, your Corgi 'Dick Kerr Preston' car in LT livery.   If its red/cream that is a start!   If you can cut out the vent windows in the upper saloon, then I can find you a number for another car for the museum!   If it has not got windscreens, then it will be better still!   But if you can't or it is one that is red/white, ditch the upper deck and remove the stairs and any windscreens.   Then repaint the saloon's upper waist panel and dashes maroon and replace the lifeguards/trays with snow ploughs and you will have 038/9, 041/2, 047 and 049-054.   The last ones were at least scrapped at Brixton Hill!   The truck wheelbase will only be 2mm. out but will need a centrally mounted plough carrier as they had no trolleys.

Really if red/cream and you want a broom then to build up on bulks of timber would lift the body high enough to clear the brooms at either end.   Personally, if I had a family member young enough to appreciate a tram, I would give it to them!   You can't beat an ABS 'Preston' kit for 022.   Colin.      

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Main track moved from foam board to wooden base. Next job is to construct the depot entrance track fan. 

74801A9E-52E9-4A7D-9239-12206A2FB4EC.jpeg

6FEF322C-90D8-4F22-AB12-95170AF8709A.jpeg

Coming on nicely in time to be operational in the 90th anniversary year of London Transport.   If interested in having models of LCC F&G single deckers, 3rd series E/1 (552-601) and a dimensionally correct E3/HR2 body, either 3D print or white metal, either single body or separate decks, please let me know by 18th December.   Then discussion can start with manufacturers.

Wishing all a Happy Christmas and a better New Year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thirty2a said:

Hi Colin,

as a project it's been a bit up and down as you know, I will certainly need to fill the depot up at some point..

Tony

I might have a dabble as well.

Mind you with Crystal Palace and St Mellion to work on, there will not be much time in the near future.

All the best

Ray

5 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Tony.

See I told you Colin would be watching.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year Colin. Hope that you are keeping well.

All the best

Ray

Many thanks, Ray.   Last month my consultant wanted me to continue the drainage treatment for another year.   It is working but very slowly to avoid a major op.   I can now get into the driving seat and go places!   However, up here in Addington we cannot get out as the snow covering is the deepest we have had for a long time and it is uphill from house to pavement and the car!

4 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Ray, I hear you are a dab hand with track soldering...

Colin, good to hear you are on the mend mate, plenty of snow! good time for old tram pics of Felthams being pushed back to Telford Ave? 

Tony

Yes, there is a run of these at Telford Avenue and not just Felthams!   This was that permafrost time early in 1947 with snowbroom 022 in action.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Ray, I hear you are a dab hand with track soldering...

Colin, good to hear you are on the mend mate, plenty of snow! good time for old tram pics of Felthams being pushed back to Telford Ave? 

Tony

That's right Tony, if you need any soldering done.

You have not seen inside the Crystal Palace High Level main control panel. It's not called the mighty Wurlitzer for nothing.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update now Wish List for next LCC class kits closed.   Classes F or G, E1(3rd), E3 and HR2 (last two to be dimensionally correct) chosen and now being worked upon.   New product from OOC is OM40507 LTE Feltham 2079 at about £50 open to pre-order - see attached box cover.   Note how bad its ability to run between Embankment and Streatham on the 16/18!!!   Only good point is use of the retooled body found on OM40504 (MET 355).

Corgi UCC.jpg

• Like 1