RMweb

Triangle problems

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in thinking reverse loop modules are only required on one leg of a triangle?

I've completed the circuit of track and if you see my layout thread it can be seen there is a double track triangle the left-hand leg has a module on each leg but when a train completes a circuit of the room it trips the controller after passing an insulation joint on the right hand leg

Any suggestions please

• RMweb Gold

Just checked on the gaugemaster website and I seem to have wired it correctly. If I remove the insulated joints and replace them with solid ones the reverse loop modules chatter for a few seconds then the controller trips.

I'm wondering if I've got an echo or something with the continuous run

As trains run as far as the insulated joints either side I wonder if another pair of reverse loop modules will solve the problems

The reason the joint was insulated is as a power district boundary

I cant help much as I cant see a track plan amoung all the images that you have posted - at least not a recent one that reflects todays plan :)

This has lot of images if you look at the image tab that might help you.

http://bfy.tw/HR7h

if not, come back with a track plan and we might be able to make a suggestion?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Russ,

It looks like your station goes out on a double junction to create a double track triangle with the main line. Is that correct?

It needs one "point" of the triangle feeding with the reverser. If you have just one side fed with the AR (as shown in the Gaugemaster diagrams) then unless that side is longer than your longest train, you will most likely have problems.

Make sure that with the AR unit, the rail joints are either slightly staggered or fill the gap above the insulated joiner with epoxy glue (and file to shape), otherwise both rails are bridged at the same time. (Filling the gap stops a wheel "dropping in" to the insulated gap and bridging the gap)

I would feed the whole station area with the reverser unit, but that may be a problem if say you have a train departing in one direction to the main line and arriving in from the other..

I'm just trying to envisage any other combination of ARs but as Iain mentions above, a track plan would be useful.

I've just had another thought- but need to peruse your layout pictures....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I think I may have a solution...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92658-cley-on-sea/page-8&do=findComment&comment=3103020

In the first picture with the triangular double junction - Feed one side of the main line and the station together, with the other side of the main line with the AR - say the junction on the left - for longer than your longest train and Robert is your Dad's brother.

I think!

In otherwords - the reverse section is half of your mainline.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The reverse loop section is about six feet long so should be ok.

Everything was working ok until I completed the continuous run the modules were working correctly and the light on the booster illuminating when in the section

Here are some more pictures

post-9362-0-92084000-1522701166_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-32228500-1522701196_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-67433700-1522701233_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-92695100-1522701266_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have a solution...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92658-cley-on-sea/page-8&do=findComment&comment=3103020

In the first picture with the triangular double junction - Feed one side of the main line and the station together, with the other side of the main line with the AR - say the junction on the left - for longer than your longest train and Robert is your Dad's brother.

I think!

In otherwords - the reverse section is half of your mainline.

Cheers,

Mick

I think that's what I've actually done.

I take it each section of isolated track needs its own AR?

• RMweb Premium

I think that's what I've actually done.

I take it each section of isolated track needs its own AR?

Possibly - without a diagram - even a rough sketch - it's difficult to make an exact decision.

• RMweb Gold

Sorted! Had a think and decided to try swapping polarity of the station and its worked .

Somewhere I've obviously made an error in wiring but as this has worked I can live with it.

Got to fit bus wire for the section which appears elevated in the pictures and this will become power district three.

A pair of modules would have sorted the problems too but I've saved £25 now!

If I changed from the Hornby system would the reverse loop modules work with other DCC systems?

Thanks Iain and Mick for your help

Russ, I have used Digitrax AR1's, and a PSX AR, both of which work.  The PSX appears a far more sophisticated piece of kit than the Digitrax ones, but they all seem to work OK on Long Marton.  The one thing which didn't work reliably was using the DB150's as auto-reversing boosters.  The design is such that it "should" be possible to only have a single reversing section, but from a practical way, I found I needed to keep Long Marton set on one polarity, and let the entire rest "float", through Auto-Reverse units.  So there are 3 reversing sections, and 2 fixed sections...the 4 track storage & Long Marton are always @ the same polarity, the staging yard & the ends are free floating.  It all comes down to cost vs convenience, the same as using frog juicers vs wiring...

I'd have guessed that you needed to have 2 AR units, one for each mainline, on one leg of the Y, including one set of turnouts. 

James

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James

Would the Hornby ones work with a NCE or gaugemaster system?

At the moment Hornby ones in hattons are £12 when I bought mine they were £8

Not sure how much ones for a better system would cost

Providing​ that the grey tracks are

1  a fair representation of the rest of the layout (sidings, passing loops etc. not shown )

2  there are no return loops/triangles on the part of the layout  (shown in grey)

3  the peninsular only connects to the rest of the layout at the triangle

I would put the insulated gaps(both rails) where shown in red ( best place for longer trains)

An alternate position for the gaps is shown in blue. 

post-28417-0-91847400-1522709962_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

John

• RMweb Gold

Thbks John I've got then modules on the ones you have shown in red .

Now I've swapped polarity of the station area it seems to work OK. I'm just not so sure the Hornby system is good ,it reminds me of when I had zero 1 good in theory but to many glitches