Electrolube

I am building a chassis in P4 and the motor is running hot. I'm wondering if this is because the brushes on the Mashima motor need lubricating. Does anyone have any experience of using Electrolube or similar in these circumstances, please.

I once over lubricated a motor with electrolube, it got on the brushes and softened the carbon. Hell of a job to remove them, dry them out clean the resulting goo off the commutator etc. It eventually "dried out" and now runs OK.

I use an electrolube pen (sadly no longer available) to lubricate (very sparingly) gears and bearings,

Brit15

NEVER do it! Brushes do not need lubricating, they, and the commutator will be ruined.

Also, elsewhere I have mentioned problems with 3in1 oil and plastics. (Normal lubrication obviously). I've also used Electrolube from 2 sources, one of them also affected the plastic long term, not sure if the other one did as well. So be careful with it.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

I use an electrolube pen (sadly no longer available) to lubricate (very sparingly) gears and bearings,

Brit15

it is now called PL-64 Power-lube.

Also you don`t say what controller you are using.

if you are using inertia/ feedback controllers these will cause motor heat.

NEVER lubricate brushes.

Cheers

john

I am building a chassis in P4 and the motor is running hot. I'm wondering if this is because the brushes on the Mashima motor need lubricating. Does anyone have any experience of using Electrolube or similar in these circumstances, please.

1. Never ever lubricate brushes.  It is bearings that need lubrication and then only very sparingly.  A very thin lubricant film, a few microns thick, is all that is needed to separate the bush and the journal.

2. Use a plastic friendly lubricant, for example HobbyLube from Bachmann.

3. Electrolube was originally developed as a lubricant for heavy duty electrical contactors and I think may be conductive.  It has a potential use in a model locomotive chassis where pick-up is through the wheels.  However, I read somewhere that the formula may have changed.

Peterfgf