Modern scrap wagons

naturol

• 8 months later...

These are the first cast from my mould for the sheerness PXA / JXA / POA using a set of white metal cast bogies I've fabricated for the wagon.

These will feature on the layout with an additional 8 other resin cast wagons I am producing.

post-9901-0-05210700-1544477591_thumb.jpeg

post-9901-0-47431400-1544477607_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

The retaining wall on the dock side made from laser cut sections of MDF and painted in the Barry Jones technique of 4 pale colours of emulsion and a sponge.

Very effective technique. See more of his work at the small Cardiff show as detailed previously.

post-9901-0-55645900-1544481532_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm positive this is a Brian Rolley image taken at tidal sidings some years ago.

The wagons worked from Plymouth to Cardiff EMR.

That's a lovely model, Paul. Before being used for ferrous scrap, these wagons (there were only three or four, I think) used to carry aluminium scrap from Swansea to the Warrington area.

The sheerness wagon was adapted from a side order of BBA bolster wagons for movement of steel reinforcement I believe.

Having the side stantions later strengthened with diagonal bracing and then boxed up for scrap movement after the use of the wagons as bolster became redundant.

My wagon is cast as a resin section base ( BBA) and the sides and ends as panels which are glued together with superglue.

post-9901-0-19543300-1544565627_thumb.jpeg

Is there a link/are these kits still available, under what Manufacturer name? (especially the 4-wheelers)

That last one is a bit of a beast!! :O 

The sheerness wagon was adapted from a side order of BBA bolster wagons for movement of steel reinforcement I believe.

The Sheerness Steel scrap carriers are rebuilds from their Procor built bogie flats and are not connected to the BR BBA's.The original conversion PR3000 is lower than the others as it is to the height of the original ends, the others having extensions to raise the cubic capacity!

Mark Saunders

Is there a link/are these kits still available, under what Manufacturer name? (especially the 4-wheelers)

That last one is a bit of a beast!! :O

Should you be interested in any of the casts it me know and I can arrange casts to be made to order. PM me for details etc.

What is that wagon, as I don't think I've even seen a picture of one before.

It's a system called ACTS; the body is , in fact a container that sits on a turntable. In rail mode, it is aligned parallel to the track, as in the photo. For loading, it is swung around by about 30 degrees, such that a lorry can back under it and draw it on to the road vehicle. It's a similar system to the DROPS system used within NATO. The wagon in the photo was a trial of concept; it was planned to build bogie wagons with space for three containers if the idea took off.

When I built the JXA I also built the schleiren bogies salvaged from old TEA wagons.

Keen to reuse them myself I found these bogies were used on the UKF / kemira nitric acid tanks.

A perfect small train load as these ran in pairs to Sellafield also.

This is my rendition with my white metal bogies and etched walkways. The filler caps and under detail are 3D prints.

post-9901-0-53986900-1544731939_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Future plans are to recreate the reception sidings of tidal sidings in Cardiff as an inglenook shunting layout, set in RF distribution era.

With a backdrop of the steel works at Celsa.

Fond memories of my castle works layout will be recreated.

post-9901-0-02345300-1544732393_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5