Very short gaps between rails.

There must have been times when tracklayers found that a gap of several inches was left when joining sections of rail. With welded rail the answer would be to fit an appropriate piece in and weld it in place: but prior to welded rail if the gap was too wide to leave but too short to fit in a fishplate bolted section how was the gap filled? Were rails somehow stretched to close the gap or deliberately cut back to enable a longer infill to be fitted? I cannot remember seeing such a short piece anywhere but there must have been some. 

Apart from questioning the capability of whoever did the survey, the only proper solution would have been to cut in a longer length of rail. Sensible practice when undertaking a track relaying is to arrange for the total length of new rail/track to be a little more than the actual length required, with the overlap at the end of the job being cut to fit on site.

There is an example of the process on one of the BT films, readily available on DVD as well as the Internet.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a similar subject, anyone know where I can get hold of a short length of bullhead rail please? I'm only looking for about 8" or so, for display in an old railchair.

cheers N

• RMweb Premium

There is an example of the process on one of the BT films, readily available on DVD as well as the Internet.

The BTF film is called "Making Tracks" and shows the engineer measuring and noting down individual rail lengths to the nearest 1/8th inch.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

Longest gap between rails that I have come across was approx 4.5" at a joint between two lengths of Bullhead rail (see photo below).  Whilst not a running line, it was on an operational (and allegedly maintained) siding that my then employer was about to lease from Network Rail. I will not mention the location to save NR's embarrassment, although it was not south of the Thames.  A short term fix was made by cutting the bottom half off a short length of rail and simply drooping it into the slot between the fishplates.

post-31664-0-13210100-1523296123_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Longest gap between rails that I have come across was approx 4.5" at a joint between two lengths of Bullhead rail (see photo below).  Whilst not a running line, it was on an operational (and allegedly maintained) siding that my then employer was about to lease from Network Rail. I will not mention the location to save NR's embarrassment, although it was not south of the Thames.  A short term fix was made by cutting the bottom half off a short length of rail and simply drooping it into the slot between the fishplates.

attachicon.gifCOPY 2013.07.17 003 PUB.jpg

I have never seen anything as bad as that, and have to say that nothing like it exists on Cwmdimbath/

• RMweb Premium

Over here, the term for SED's rail is a Dutchman. (I would define it as a piece of rail shorter than a fishplate.)

I saw the term used in carpentry for a filler piece of some sort.

I have had a few on my model railways.

In the case of CWR it is known as stressing.  A  P-Way Technician performs a number of readings and measuremenst, calculations are made, then   a  heavy  motorised hydraulic clamping mechanism is attached across the rail gap and the rails are  literally pulled together until the gap between rail faces are to a  calculated specification

The gap is then closed by the spectacular to observe  Thermite  welding process.  It is a procedure which requires skill and experience and several hours of possession time

Edited by Pandora

Putting a loose bit of rail like that in would in my opinion have been more dangerous than doing nothing, due to the risk of it either moving and forming a ramp or flying out, which is why doing that is forbidden by the standards. Cutting out rail to make the gap 15'-0" then inserting a closure would be the way to go, first having checked if the adjacent joints were tight.

Putting a loose bit of rail like that in would in my opinion have been more dangerous than doing nothing, due to the risk of it either moving and forming a ramp or flying out, which is why doing that is forbidden by the standards. Cutting out rail to make the gap 15'-0" then inserting a closure would be the way to go, first having checked if the adjacent joints were tight.

In this instance the risk of damage to wheel treads was much greater than the risk of derailment and the siding needed to be used, however it would certainly not be acceptable for a running line or where speed exceeded walking pace. Presumably the standards will also have forbidden leaving the joint in that condition in the first place but maybe its just one of those standards which NR only apply when convenient.

In this instance the risk of damage to wheel treads was much greater than the risk of derailment and the siding needed to be used, however it would certainly not be acceptable for a running line or where speed exceeded walking pace. Presumably the standards will also have forbidden leaving the joint in that condition in the first place but maybe its just one of those standards which NR only apply when convenient.

That may be your view but I take the more old fashioned view that if it is not right the line stays blocked.

Over here, the term for SED's rail is a Dutchman. (I would define it as a piece of rail shorter than a fishplate.)

I saw the term used in carpentry for a filler piece of some sort.

I have had a few on my model railways.

As in -

post-6524-0-48322900-1523357204.jpg

(with apologies to Martin Wynne for borrowing his picture from a much earlier thread on the old RMWeb forum)

As a get you out of trouble method, it plainly works, but it should never be regarded as anything better than a very temporary fix.

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That may be your view but I take the more old fashioned view that if it is not right the line stays blocked.

Have to agree, and I have blocked a siding with a full LWRT in due to similar. What’s worse is the shunters all said it’s been like it ages and the 08 doesn’t like going over it!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the case of CWR it is known as stressing. A P-Way Technician performs a number of readings and measuremenst, calculations are made, then a heavy motorised hydraulic clamping mechanism is attached across the rail gap and the rails are literally pulled together until the gap between rail faces are to a calculated specification

The gap is then closed by the spectacular to observe Thermite welding process. It is a procedure which requires skill and experience and several hours of possession time

Stressing can and does confuse many, especially as there is 3 different levels. The amount of times I’ve had certs returned and upon confirming calculations it’s been over or under stressed is unbelievable. Thankfully the training has evolved some and on my section Level 1 stressors no longer get trained in level 2 or 3. Even level 3 is only undertake by myself, the PTO or the ATME.

• RMweb Premium

I have never seen anything as bad as that, and have to say that nothing like it exists on Cwmdimbath/

Presumably, somewhere there is a rail that is the same amount too long! Thus causing a nasty kink. Set Track, never quite fits.

In the case of CWR it is known as stressing.  A  P-Way Technician performs a number of readings and measuremenst, calculations are made, then   a  heavy  motorised hydraulic clamping mechanism is attached across the rail gap and the rails are  literally pulled together until the gap between rail faces are to a  calculated specification

The gap is then closed by the spectacular to observe  Thermite  welding process.  It is a procedure which requires skill and experience and several hours of possession time

Just like Peco Flexi...!

Jim