Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

Is this the Chiltern Exhibition?

Yes, CMRA show at Stevenage 12th & 13th Jan.

I'm crewing Paul Stapleton's China Rail layout 'Beijiao'. I'll have the two Mountains, the W1 and another with me. Unfortunately none will be running on our layout as 2004 China Rail and 1939 LNER clash a little.

• Like 1

I do know of a late thirties LNER layout that will be there. Although not short of engines (nor on this occasion short of operators, which will be a relief) I'll see if I can have a word with the authorities if you wish......

Edited by gr.king

I do know of a late thirties LNER layout that will be there. Although not short of engines (nor on this occasion short of operators, which will be a relief) I'll see if I can have a word with the authorities if you wish......

It would be great.

Another A3 almost completed. This one is a commission for a customer.

2750 'Papyrus'.

She's been reworked from the Hornby 'Book Law' model with the original non-corridor tender replaced with a corridor tender to represent the loco as she was during her 108mph run.

Head lamps, tail lamp, train crew and real coal have been added, along with a detailed weathering.

We're just waiting on the nameplates to arrive to complete the work. Then after a final test it'll be off to its customer.

post-23643-0-02677400-1546185438_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-22677200-1546185449_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-00152100-1546185463_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-71911400-1546185488_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-91309000-1546185499_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Cracking stuff Al,

Weathering is spot on, looking at the ash stuck to the top of the boiler through to the cab lovely observation that, I take that’s you not Hornby!? Just about see the box in the last photo and it looks as shopped not weathered. The tender side etc etc all spot on.

Cheers

Ade

Cracking stuff Al,

Weathering is spot on, looking at the ash stuck to the top of the boiler through to the cab lovely observation that, I take that’s you not Hornby!? Just about see the box in the last photo and it looks as shopped not weathered. The tender side etc etc all spot on.

Cheers

Ade

She started out life as 'Book Law'. Ive renumbered, renamed and weathered it.

post-23643-0-85889600-1546202130_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

With Peterborough and Christmas out of the way, it's time to to return to the 'Budget' Coronation set.

This morning has been spent glueing on the stainless steel lining. I thought this might be one of the areas that needs a bit more skill, but actually it just need patience.

I use Evergreen microstrip No. 101, 0.25 X 0.75mm strip. Starting with the three horizontal lines, these are glued top and bottom of the main window line, and along the lower edge of the coach body. The vertical strips are more microstrip cut to 14mm long and glued in following the edges of the windows and centreline of the doors joints. At 14mm they are slightly over size. Glue the top edges in first, then trim and glue the bottom edge. This way to compensate for any misalignment in the horizontal strips.

Next stage is the roof gutter rail, a final tidy up, then undercoating.

post-23643-0-35188900-1546241912_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

With Peterborough and Christmas out of the way, it's time to to return to the 'Budget' Coronation set.

This morning has been spent glueing on the stainless steel lining. I thought this might be one of the areas that needs a bit more skill, but actually it just need patience.

I use Evergreen microstrip No. 101, 0.25 X 0.75mm strip. Starting with the three horizontal lines, these are glued top and bottom of the main window line, and along the lower edge of the coach body. The vertical strips are more microstrip cut to 14mm long and glued in following the edges of the windows and centreline of the doors joints. At 14mm they are slightly over size. Glue the top edges in first, then trim and glue the bottom edge. This way to compensate for any misalignment in the horizontal strips.

Next stage is the roof gutter rail, a final tidy up, then undercoating.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Al,

Do the carriage roofs have rain strips ?

If so I make a card template that locates on top of the cantrail gutter which I then use a pencil to mark out the line of the rain strip and then apply glue to that line to which I stick the rain strip to. I nudge the rain strip into place with the end of a fine steel rule while sighting it up longitudinally to ensure a smooth curve. I use Revell Contacta that has a fine needle type applicator and just t make sure once set in place I wash over the rain strip in sections with Mek-Pac in case there any bits that remain unstuck.

Here are two pictures of Car No. 54 part way through painting showing my card template and the resulting rain strips, it would seem that Tamiya masking tape is a good match for Pullman Cream.

post-34584-0-78924900-1546246299_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-36796600-1546246815_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 4

The Coronation set is finally looking like it's coming together.

With the lining finished, the set has had a mist coat of black to show up all the areas that still need a bit more attention. The underframes and Windows have also been trimmed and fitted. Bogies next, then a test run of at my local club to check the end clearances are ok.

No too much longer before it gets painted. Gonna have to start looking for an A4 soon.

post-23643-0-16140600-1546534664_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Another project underway. This one will be and LNER Brakedown Train when it's finished. 

It's still at the early stages. I've picked up all the stock and started the modification work.  I still need to find a J15 to haul it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Al. said:

Another project underway. This one will be and LNER Brakedown Train when it's finished. 

It's still at the early stages. I've picked up all the stock and started the modification work.  I still need to find a J15 to haul it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Al,

If you need information upon the 45 ton cranes used by the LNER then may I suggest Peter Tatlow's book, Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 2 and also this following website;

http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html

Here is the type of Cowans Sheldon crane as used by the LNER;

http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php/Cowans-Sheldon/ADRC95217/95217-location-and-date-unknown-but-post-1968-and-pre-1985-Roger-Cooke-collection

Gibbo.

15 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Al,

If you need information upon the 45 ton cranes used by the LNER then may I suggest Peter Tatlow's book, Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 2 and also this following website;

http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html

Here is the type of Cowans Sheldon crane as used by the LNER;

http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php/Cowans-Sheldon/ADRC95217/95217-location-and-date-unknown-but-post-1968-and-pre-1985-Roger-Cooke-collection

Gibbo.

Thanks. All info is useful.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Latest addition to the fleet. Picked up from Ally Pally for a very reasonable sum. 

Renumbered and weathered, crew and real coal added.

Unfortunately most of the accessories pack was missing, so it's waiting on vac pipes and couplings. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6