Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

latest addition to the fleet. A Peppercorn A2 'Trimbush' (there's a schoolboy joke in there, I'm sure) in fictional LNER livery.

She's had a light weathering and is waiting for nameplates to arrive from Sliver Tay for completion.

post-23643-0-97523500-1538243000_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

An update on the A3 style Mountain.

The loco body is now a single piece with the two A3 boilers glued together, and the V2 cab added to back of the firebox. At this point I've corrected one of the problems with the GA drawing by moving the footplate backwards by a scale foot to accommodate the larger firebox.

The photo shows how she looks so far (with tender borrowed from Isinglass). She'll be getting another test run on Wednesday night ahead of the boiler bands being rubbed off and replaced.

post-23643-0-50182600-1538326772_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

Etched brass nameplates arrived from Silver Tay Models (shameless plug for the company....) and went straight on to Trimbush. She just need a light weathering on the smoke deflectors and she'll be complete.

post-23643-0-62626300-1538461850_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Graeme King has just pointed me to this thread. Is the ACFI heater on 2576 a resin casting or homemade? I've been looking round to see whether anyone does one and drawn a blank up to now.

The ACFI is scratch built from plasticard and microstrip taken from the drawings in Nock's Gresley Pacifics book. Unfortunately I don't have assess resin casting facilities otherwise I may have several of them.

...the drawings in Nock's Gresley Pacifics book

Now that's an excellent lead, thanks. I only have the Isinglass and for once it's not as useful as I might have hoped.

Did you find any decent close up pictures? I was looking at doing Shotover but I only have the ones in RCTS2A and Yeadon which are quite distant. 2580's pump was slightly different, I think.

Hello Al, love your work on these brutes. I wanted to ask if you could share some details on what you did to convert the RTR coaches into the artics?

As with much of my LNER stuff, these date back to my teenage years, in the later 70's early 80's whe I was trying to add a bit of variety into my coach stock. Attempted 3 sets back then. A two coach brake/ composite, a two coach composite and a three car brake composite. None were based of any prototype, I was just trying to capture the image of the articulated stock.

The convention was pretty much a hatchet job where I simply Hacksawed of the ends if the cliches just before the bogie pivot point. Plasticard was used for the new ends and to patch in any half cut Windows. On the centre bogies, the original pivot point was cut off and new pivots added to give the right end clearance for my layout curves.

Finally the bodies were repainted and lettered.

Now, when I getback to them, I'm tidying the build up basically to make them look better.

2580 was an A3 by then, while 2576 was still an A1. That may account for the different plumbing. That photo you've kindly posted is the same one as is in the RCTS volume.

I think between that and the Nock drawing there's enough there to make a start. More than I had before - I've have missed that operating rod under the running plate, for example.

• Like 1

I Like how you have done the locos.

Wish I had planned mine properly before I built 1.

Graham King aka atlantic3279 has also done mountain class locos but he used the A3 loco drive chassis and built an extension onto the rear to accomodate the 4th axle.

Checkout the thread Grantham The Streamliner Years.  There is a post where graham explains how he built his loco.

Not sure of the page number but I will check and find out if you want me to.

For those interested, if they've not already found it,

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=375#p32473

this is the original coverage of the conversion, starting at page 21. The snag that arises in extending the powered first-type Chinese A1/A3/A4 chassis backwards, adding a fourth axle, is that if no more is done the chassis will then only go under a streamlined body. If you want it under a stretched A1/A3 type body you must either fit a slimmer motor or move the motor backwards and install a suitable armature shaft extension, otherwise the body will severely foul the motor around the throat (front) of the firebox.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

For those interested, if they've not already found it,

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=375#p32473

this is the original coverage of the conversion, starting at page 21. The snag that arises in extending the powered first-type Chinese A1/A3/A4 chassis backwards, adding a fourth axle, is that if no more is done the chassis will then only go under a streamlined body. If you want it under a stretched A1/A3 type body you must either fit a slimmer motor of move the motor backwards and install a suitable armature shaft extension, otherwise the body will severely foul the motor around the throat (front) of the firebox.

Thanks Graeme. I spent quite a while reading your thread before starting on the Stretched Streak. The chassis extension and body cuts where basically a copy of yours (although in opted for a tender drive model). You work has been inspirational.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to rework the body colour on the W1 this morning. Although the original blue was a close match to Garter Blue on the outside if he can, when it dried on the loco it was closure to BR Experimental Blue. And no amount of weathering was going to change that. So this morning I bit the bullet and repainted it.

The end result looks much better in the flesh, although it still looks too blue in the photo. I'm going to leave it as it is for now while I finish off the rear bogie. The rear test will come when it's sat on the track along side a Hornby or Bachmann model.

post-23643-0-84664600-1540019817_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7