How to know which loco is which

JST

Hi JST, this problem arose on  Coleborne Junction, a layout belonging to a friend on which I have been helping ? to construct. Here the situation was where the main storage roads were to be completely covered by an extension. Detectecting that trains were present on each road was simple but knowing what they were impossible without continously writing notes all the time. The simple answer was small wooden tiles each with a loco no. printed on. Ref. to the Coleborne Junction thread will show you this system, I think it's page 10. If a loco. is running in reverse, the number is just turned upside down. The system is also used for the engine shed. Locos left around the scenic part which are in view, simply have the relevent tile left on top of one of the switch boxes. Any stock removed to the stock drawer takes it's tile with it. This is system is much much simpler than my attempted explanation would make it appear. Hope the this is of some use.

Regards Brian. (  wireman  )

• Like 1

.....Marklin Mfx/ Mfx+ decoders identify themselves to the controller as soon as the loco is placed on the track - and is given a unique internal code ... the user selecting it by picture/description from the CS display ... it also automatically loads the correct function buttons. This is the sort of feature that Railcom® is designed to add for dcc users ,,, with slower take up because 'nmra'dcc is not just the product of a single company - 'Plug and Play' for railways. 8-)

It was this self-registration/set-up feature of mfx decoders that prompted ESU and Lenz to bring the same capability to DCC with Railcom Plus. Put a Railcom Plus decoder equipped loco on layout powered with a Railcom Plus capable controller, such as an ECoS, and it will be set up automatically in the same way.

I have two N Gauge Class 25 locos. I can barely read the number on the side with my reading glasses so at any distance distinguishing which is which is impossible.  In any case, the number on the side of both locos is the same. Hence, I give my locos DCC ids by their type so both of these have IDs starting with 25, so I have 251 and 252. The simplest way I have found is to always turn the lights off when stopped. That way, I can call up 251 and put the lights on. This tells me which one is 251 simply and over a distance. If it is the wrong loco, I just call up the other. one.

As promised - a preport back on the pair of cameras and monitors, and wireless link received...

Wireless arrived yesterday, and camera kits today - so both ahead of stated delivery window (which was UK- just a few days)

I chose the small cube shaped camera with white LEDs - these are permanently on when the camera is powered.

The Camera is to the NTSC standard, and Left<>Right Mirrored, and has the 'distance grid' permanently superimposed.

Looking at the option on the box (the camera is packed separately to the chosen monitor - showing that it is your mix and match choice):

There are 3 types of sensor used, and the single sheet enclosed explains the product code... only nothing has it printed on !!

I chose the 170 degree model which makes it the Cmos2 column: 656 x 492 '420 line'  150mA  ( 0.35mA for camera and Rx/Tx, 0.45A for their monitor as well .)   0.5Lux ( '0' needed with LEDs )     Power Supply is quoted to be 12V +/- 10% ... so use a regulated supply! .. although it ought to be capable of normal car voltages ?

The MONITOR - 4.3" I chose has a hinged stand (can be mounted from above or below) and 2 inputs BUT a restricted viewing angle before the image is badly affected ... a contrast to the (more expensive) IPS displays I have just been buying !! The monitor is PAL/NTSC auto switching- and the input switching is 'Rear camera' if ON.

There is no point in quoting a specific vendor - as they may all be one anyway 8-) ...as they are all a mix and match from the same sources - you need to decide on the camera vision angle  - which affects camera shape and then monitor for your mounting options.

It does what it says on the tin - and the image is always left-right mirrored withthe graphic overlay.

Looking in other sections of ebay might reveal the 'same' products offered for different applications - especially as the parts are boxed separately.  Have fun.

Edited by Phil S

Bit of a daft question this but one that is causing me a bit of head scratching. I am sure someone else must have had the same problem and there are ideas out there on how to do it.

Basically I have been beavering away converting my loco stock to DCC and building a fair size layout. I now sit back and see that amongst my locos I have 4 Castles, 2 black Panniers, 2 green Prairies and two identical DMUs. The question is how do you know which is which when you want to call up a particular loco by address. Yes, they have different numbers or names but nigh on impossible to read from 20 feet away (especially if they are in the loco shed). The DMUs I will be fitting with lights and can turn them on and off to see is which is which but the steam locos do not have lights. So far with the Panniers and Prairies I have resorted to having them running in opposite directions so I know which is which. Clearly this is a problem of my own making and maybe I have missed a simple obvious answer.

I to have a problem with Distance. I keep a list of all my Locos mounted on a card. Not only does it show details of that Loco but its ID.

So if I want to run a particular Loco I scroll through the saved roster to its ID number and thats it and off we go.

A great advantage of using Railcom in the way I do is that I can see the decoder ID on screen wherever the loco is and that ID links to the name and a picture of the loco therefore I never pick the wrong loco - or perhaps I should say that the computer never picks the wrong loco ;)

When I am operating manually such as in the goods yard, loco shed or even just driving my own loco through the middle of all the ones on automatic control I can again see which one it is by simply looking at the laptop screen.

Pulls all the benefits of digital control together into one easily manageable solution - it’s what DCC was made for :)

• 2 years later...

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a 4K Cube camera for siting on OO Gauge wagons? Sorry I have tried to do a search on RM Web and cant seem to find any links.

Many thanks, stay safe

Best,

Chris 

On 27/05/2020 at 11:00, Chrisjh said:

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a 4K Cube camera for siting on OO Gauge wagons? Sorry I have tried to do a search on RM Web and cant seem to find any links.

Many thanks, stay safe

Best,

Chris 

Search eBay for "SQ11 Camera" - they're all pretty much the same.

Instructions aren't great - they're a literal translation so some bits don't make sense but not a bad camera.

Plus, if you like it, can always buy something more expensive down the line.

I think I paid about £6 for mine.

If you're in no rush, aliexpress may also be a good shout.