Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Canterbury Road (Mk2)

Fishplate

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Fishplate said:

I hope you get settled in quickly. Will be looking forward to following your progress on the relocated Bovey.

Yeah, about that, I've decided to be a bit of a spoil sport and keep progress on Bodmin Moor under wraps for now. But I'll share some progress pics and answer any questions after the big reveal. And at the rate it's going now, that shouldn't be too long.

• Like 2

Why does the same job take twice as long (or more) the next time you do it? Tried to get a point operating mechanism working today. No luck. Just a solid wire from the front of the layout to the higher level at the back. What could possibly go wrong?

Will creep up behind it another day and surprise it 😁

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/09/2023 at 16:00, Fishplate said:

Will creep up behind it another day and surprise it 😁

Today is the day. I have been able to designate at least half a day to model railway today.  I've said on @MrWolf s thread that hopefully I wouldn't spend that time saying ' Now where was I? '

Should have read my own thread first !

Hadn't realised it was over a month since I did anything, having been distracted elsewhere. However Grandchildren have been entertained with Tiddlywink Shunting down in the dock using the Class 73 (Or "green diesel", as they prefer. I am saving an explanation of the Third Rail for another day).

Shunting is the first thing they've asked to do when they've arrived recently. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was passing the layout and gave the wire that has been giving me grief a waggle. It gave me the impression it wasn't a million miles away from being resolved. Or it has lulled me into thinking that . 

It has worked elsewhere, so a return to the fray is likely.

Real Work, my Hobby Job,  domestic duties and Grandchildren are taking priority over the layout at the moment. However I have a long break coming up over Christmas, so I have said the layout WILL be fully reassembled and trains circulating by the time I go back to Real Work in January 2024. 

In addition I have to use up remaining Real Work holidays before the end of the year. Some of those days will be devoted to the layout. 

Edited by Fishplate
Predictive text . . . .
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Fishplate said:

In addition I have to use up remaining Real Work holidays before the end of the year. Some of those days will be devoted to the layout. 

Was talking to a real worker today who is also on a Use it or Lose it leave system and he finishes for the year about a week into December!

Paul.

5 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Was talking to a real worker today who is also on a Use it or Lose it leave system and he finishes for the year about a week into December!

Paul.

My sister works in finance and her employer runs the same use it or lose it system, except their year runs April to April. That makes for some interesting holidays as the weather starts to improve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I 've made a list of all the jobs that need doing to get the railway operational by the time I go back to work in January. It is a long list, some of which will need to be done in advance of the long break. That includes ordering items to make sure I have everything to hand when some places, like me, won't be at work.

Progress, sort off, as I now know the size of the elephant. Just need to get it down to bite size chunks. And get some momentum going 👍

• Like 4

I'm taking a decent sized holiday over Christmas too, I've had my orders, as Miss R has a over three weeks in typical academic fashion. 

I have to get the bits of elephant in order and not get sidetracked with a lot of unconnected tasks. 

Of course, that is the plan...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/11/2023 at 09:22, Fishplate said:

It is a long list, some of which will need to be done in advance of the long break.

Getting on with some of the items to be done in advance. Boards 1,2 and 3 have been slid across the room to make some working space. The storage yard, on temporary legs, has been covered and some track laid. This is code 100 rail to match the upper area of the layout so everything I own can be run. Code 75 is used on the descent and in the various yards on the lower section. The top of the single track traverser, lying diagonally in the first photo, has also been covered.

The covering changes from black to white as I have run out of the black. The white came as part of some packaging and was identical in thickness, so was set aside for this use. I haven't fixed the track in the black area as yet to allow for some minor adjustment, if necessary, when the traverser is installed.

I must have had the box of track for quite some time as the elastic band around some it had gone hard (!). I do have various long-ish oddments to do some of the far end track work but I will need to get some more track to finish it off. Track spacing has been reduced slightly to make best use of the available width.

There will be ten tracks in the storage yard, each split into two roughly equal length electrical sections. These sidings will be controlled with centre off switches each with a pull and push to "on". There will also be a protective, removeable, bar to go across the traverser end. In theory it shouldn't be possible to leave a switch on and accidentally drive into the abyss. The closed end will just have a suitable fixed stop at buffer height. 

When complete the temporary legs will be removed and the storage yard fixed to the back wall and boards 2 and 3 fixed to the storage yard and the wall below the speakers/ stereo in the background. A backscene board will hide the storage yards. Access will then be from either end via duck-unders/ crawl throughs. 

There wasn't room for this arrangement in the house where this layout was originally. Cassette storage was previously going to be used. Discounted in this house for reasons given in earlier posts.

IMG_20231201_111800.jpg.b408037d2fe082db3db015f6df56e657.jpg  

IMG_20231201_161458.jpg.3a1d3f53bb165a84704b4c289ee277f4.jpg

• Like 10

10 sidings laid, electrically split into 20 sections. 17 wired up to choc block connectors at the baseboard edge so far.

As this is definitely the railways permanent home, I'm not going to use interboard D connectors as it will need three sets to get to the storage siding control panel. 

Centre off, push or pull to on, have arrived. 

IMG_20231211_172913.jpg.effc4e1457a252e91f5104fb2428d399.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is going to be quite some layout! 

Thank you Rob. I didnt have enough vertical space for the previously planned cassettes at the old house in this triangular space.

The room enables these storage sidings to be incorporated into the "dead" space where the ceiling slopes. If we were still in the old house, these storage sidings would need a wall knocking down... 

All wiring now complete to the edge of the board and all tested with a meter.

Four items out of eleven completed prior to the main works over Christmas. 

A small board extension (about 150mm) will be required behind the buffer stops on board 1 to fill in the gap to the wall. I'm leaving that until the layout is in its final position. 

Popping up from under the storage sidings board I did like this view, so had to capture it.

I name this work "Vanishing Point" 😁

Ps it's the camera not held level BTW... 

IMG_20231212_212103.jpg.5524ad51d737da82be07ec7f9ffd49c9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Give it a good coating of car wax polish if it needs to slide, it makes a difference.

Thank you. I've got various ideas for the traverser sliding and electrical connections to it. Will experiment to see which works best.

• Like 1

One of the items I wanted to get done before the layout goes into it's final position was to start on the track painting of the two carriage sidings on board 3. These will both be out of reach for such fiddly work on both sides of the rails at the buffer stop ends. 

So, after lots of prep room sorting this afternoon and following other people's examples, I've got this far this evening. 

IMG_20231223_204054.jpg.ee544e1e12b87ce34e1ddbce0552d302.jpg

IMG_20231223_204344.jpg.0bc83fcade47ff334a6072c2d2601311.jpg

Edited by Fishplate
  • Like 9

The experimental painting stopped short of the places where the two carriage siding electrical connections were to be made. That was done on Christmas Eve with wiring from the four electrical sections now as far as a choc block on the baseboard frame ready to join to the control panel, hopefully before return to work.

Yesterday's visits involved breakfast and dinner respectively with the two branches of descendants. Grandad FP was pressed immediately into action operating Grandsons new red tractor he asked for alongside his new forager that Santa delivered. The living room carpet and most of the kitchen was 'harvested' and the resultant trailer loads moved to storage near the sofa before breakfast. Imaginative play at 1:32 scale.

Assembling two marble runs twenty miles apart with the short people following the illustrated instruction books with Grandads help was also part of the fun of the day. All part of future life skills!

However, today is 'Doing Railway' day. Mrs FP is off to take over the dining room table to cut out one of her presents from me prior to assembly into a winter dress. I have received a bottle of railway ballast. Things are progressing in that direction . . . . . .

• Like 5

"Doing Railway day" found the new storage sidings temporarily butted up to the main layout. This enabled some more work to be done on the point operating mechanisms for the carriage sidings. They aren't making life easy, although I now have two points mechanically connected, just need tweaking to work reliably.

• Like 3

One of the points is working reliably.

Not achieved as much as I had hoped whilst off work. Will plod on

In other news, I appear to have acquired this Rapido model in the post Christmas sales.... 😇

IMG_20231230_174407.jpg.29be22a4a7dcdf49d758f6a9832eb42c.jpg

• Like 4