Inclined siding diorama

Guest ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi I'm trying something different the plan is to build an inclined siding diorama the size is 4"x 21" and it will incorporate a raised rail bed with one of two mineral wagons.There will also be scenery with a grassed embankment on either side of the raised rail bed with a few shrubs and other scrap items which can be usually seen laid about hope it sounds ok here is a picture of the diorama base and raised track bed.:)

post-33479-0-59559700-1525103445_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Sounds interesting. Will the rolling road be functional?

It will be a working diorama Luke as it will be nice to run my loco s while I'm sat relaxing, I have treat myself to a new class 73 from Hattons today.:):)

Guest ShildonShunter

Sounds like an interesting project! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

Thanks rich im looking forward to starting the diorama will start and glue the embankment structure in place tomorrow.:)

Just a thought, if you made the rollers so that they were relatively discreet and if you had a space to put a screen/monitor/ipad you could play a video of fast moving countryside and because the wheels and lights are on it would look like the train was moving. Would work better with a steamer rather than a diesel. Or alternatively you could make a moving backscene though that would probably be more complicated.

Just a thought, if you made the rollers so that they were relatively discreet and if you had a space to put a screen/monitor/ipad you could play a video of fast moving countryside and because the wheels and lights are on it would look like the train was moving. Would work better with a steamer rather than a diesel. Or alternatively you could make a moving backscene though that would probably be more complicated.

A rolling road and moving backscene is definitely possible. After all that is how the great Gerry Anderson created the effect of vehicles moving in shows such as Thunderbirds back in the 1960's.

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi and thanks Luke and Andy for your thoughts it's a great idea but I just want to keep things simple but also nice to look at when my loco s are running.;)

• Like 1

This is a rather different sort of concept. Nice idea!
Can't wait to see you make a start on this :)

Will you be placing some greenery or a wall in such a position as to "hide" where the wheels meet the rollers?
I'm just thinking, if you could disguise the fact that it's on rollers - it might look even better
Good luck with this - I'd really like to see a screen, with moving countryside, behind a loco
As you say, a steam loco would be better

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Marc thanks for your comments i was thinking of erecting a fence at the bottom of each embankment but still thinking about the trackside.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

If it's for sound why not disconnect the motor and just play the sound chip?

Hi Russ it nice to have sound but the main reason why I'm building this is because I have no space for a layout but I want something that's permanent for running and enjoying my loco s and also something that looks nice rather just a plain piece of wood.:)

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Sounds interesting, looking forward to more.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry and thanks I'm just laying cardboard to form the shape of the embankments will post a progress picture later today.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi with me being busy with nursing exams i managed to make a start on the embankments this afternoon layers of card covered in messy paper mache but loads of fun next once dried will give the embankment a coat of soft pollyfilla. Not laying track until the messy bits are complete. Here is a picture of the progress.:)

post-33479-0-67910600-1525272542_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Looking good Mate, I like your carpentry skills too.

Jerry.

Thanks for your kind comments Jerry I thought I would try something a bit different with this diorama loads fun mate.;)

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi I managed to finish the polyfilla and applied a coat of brown paint ready for the grass scatter tomorrow along with some fine ballasting. Here is a picture of my progress.:)

post-33479-0-19627500-1525362425_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 3

Guest ShildonShunter

Looking good, I use N gauge ballast myself as I think oo gauge ballast is to big, for the shed layout I'm going to use cinders/ash ballast.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry thanks for your comments. Ballast should arrive tomorrow as I don't want to do the grass until the ballast is laid. Today I'm working on a run off pipe on one of the embankments.:) Edited by ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi and sorry for the changed diorama name i had a rethink and now I'm using this to model an inclined siding with one of two mineral wagons and scope to extend it needed.:)