Breckenell Willis Highspeed pantograph

Evening,

I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who makes a posable lightweight pantograph in OO as I'm looking to replace the pantograph on my Hornby class 90. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Matthew

Hornby did a better plastic one for their 92 but never used it on their 90.... (*facepalm)

Eg: https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x8107-class-92-fine-scale-pantograph-plastic-oo-gauge.ir

Edited by 298

Hornby did a better plastic one for their 92 but never used it on their 90.... (*facepalm)

Eg: https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x8107-class-92-fine-scale-pantograph-plastic-oo-gauge.ir

Morning,

Thanks for that I didn't realise how close the class 92 pantographs were. I'll get one ordered now but will it work with the class 91?

Regards, Matthew

Morning,

Thanks for that I didn't realise how close the class 92 pantographs were. I'll get one ordered now but will it work with the class 91?

Regards, Matthew

Yes, the footprint is the same. There are a few minor differences between the types fitted to various classes, but unfortunately this isn't backed up with manufacturers support. Sometimes I feel OHLE modelling is like going back to the dark ages.

I seem to remember hearing someone (was it Judith Edge?) was planning to produce a BW single arm in addition to a diamond shaped cross arm one.

But seen nothing about it since..

There must be a good market out there for them. 

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Premium

did you ever look at Sommerfeldt? They do a wide range of pantographs, even they are continental I suppose the size wouldn't be a problem.

https://www.sommerfeldt.de/de/?cat=c34_Spurweite-H0-H0m-spurweite-h0-h0m-34.html&cPath=6_34

This link is for the German page - but you can go to the home page and change the language. 

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember hearing someone (was it Judith Edge?) was planning to produce a BW single arm in addition to a diamond shaped cross arm one.

But seen nothing about it since..

There must be a good market out there for them. 

I'm afraid we aren't looking the Brecknell Willis high speed pan but the early Stone-Faiveley single arm fitted to the original AC locos.

did you ever look at Sommerfeldt? They do a wide range of pantographs, even they are continental I suppose the size wouldn't be a problem.

https://www.sommerfeldt.de/de/?cat=c34_Spurweite-H0-H0m-spurweite-h0-h0m-34.html&cPath=6_34

None of the Sommerfeldt offerings are anything like a BW pan.

What the situation needs is for a European railway company to buy (or lease?) some locos which use them for real. Then we might stand a chance of getting some worthwhile RTR model versions.

What the situation needs is for a European railway company to buy (or lease?) some locos which use them for real. Then we might stand a chance of getting some worthwhile RTR model versions.

That has already happened.

Over half the fleet of class 87s are now working in Bulgaria & after a quick search, it seems that at least some of them kept their BW pans. Whether or not they still have them is another matter.

The thing I like about the Hornby pantograph is that it can be wired up to the motor for anyone with a layout with a live overhead wire system.

That's the one the OP is looking to replace.

Hornby made 3. The overscale metal one, a fragile plastic one which raised & another plastic one which stayed retracted.

Over half the fleet of class 87s are now working in Bulgaria & after a quick search, it seems that at least some of them kept their BW pans. Whether or not they still have them is another matter.

So now we just need a European model manufacturer to decide these locos are worth modelling in this guise, preferably in 4mm scale as tooling will already exist. :-)

• RMweb Premium

The problem is that the head on the Hornby offering is still huge when you're done filing down the arms. That must be a 30+ year old model, I remember it being on the 90 and 91 in the early 90s. The 92 one looks markedly better. What did they fit to the Pendolino? IIRC that looked pretty good, although I presume the base is different with the 'non-tilty bits' (technical term).

• 2 weeks later...

They all still have them bar 87012 which has a Stone Faively, which I think came off 86233. This is as of August last year when I last visited.

They all still have them bar 87012 which has a Stone Faively, which I think came off 86233. This is as of August last year when I last visited.

Trix/Lilliput done a good working model of the BR Stone-Faiveley pantograph on their early 1960s model of the AL1. Way back I bought a number of their Locobuilder kits which had 2 pantographs as per the prototype; this was around the time BR decided to convert to single pantograph, so I had a few spares. I don't have them any more, but still have an 81 in the showcase above my head as I type this. :)

Wasn't the SV pan used on some French locos?

As for the Brecknock-Willis, a chap called John Hewitt made a couple of these for Lima 87s for the MRC's New Annington layout. ISTR he used fine nylon cord as part of the springing.

Edited by roythebus

• 1 month later...

Everyone talks about that they scratch build pantographs. That is great, but the rest of us will need dimensions and what materials they used.

Can anyone post a build of what they have made. I have a number of Hornby class 86s and Lima 87s which were obtained with pantographs missing. I am after Stone Fairley and Brecknell Willis high speed types.

Thanks

Everyone talks about that they scratch build pantographs. That is great, but the rest of us will need dimensions and what materials they used.

Can anyone post a build of what they have made. I have a number of Hornby class 86s and Lima 87s which were obtained with pantographs missing. I am after Stone Fairley and Brecknell Willis high speed types.

Thanks

Hi,

Like you I'm trying to find a SV and BW pantograph. Sommerfeldt do a SV although it's Ho scale an needs a little modification. As for the BW pan there's 3 options: scratch build (like you mentioned), the resin cast pantograph from PH design and finally a 3D print on shapeways. I'm going for the 3D print as it's cheap and it's quite realistic however the PH designs version is very detailed however is very pricey, at around £22 it's not the cheapest however does include a lot of detail. The 3D print is much cheaper at around £6.50. I hope that helps

Best regards, Matthew

Whoops I ment SF

Hi,

Like you I'm trying to find a SV and BW pantograph. Sommerfeldt do a SV although it's Ho scale an needs a little modification. As for the BW pan there's 3 options: scratch build (like you mentioned), the resin cast pantograph from PH design and finally a 3D print on shapeways. I'm going for the 3D print as it's cheap and it's quite realistic however the PH designs version is very detailed however is very pricey, at around £22 it's not the cheapest however does include a lot of detail. The 3D print is much cheaper at around £6.50. I hope that helps

Best regards, MatthewWhoops I ment SF

If 3D printing on a commercial scale improves to a point where I can add more detail I will redo the pantograph and put it on sale. Unfortunately I was limited to a great extent because of the criteria set by Shapeways. Also hope more materials will be offered so maybe some day I can design it such that it can be poseable and raise and lower. At the moment it can do that but due to the nature of FUD it eventually gets brittle and you lose that grip.

If 3D printing on a commercial scale improves to a point where I can add more detail I will redo the pantograph and put it on sale. Unfortunately I was limited to a great extent because of the criteria set by Shapeways. Also hope more materials will be offered so maybe some day I can design it such that it can be poseable and raise and lower. At the moment it can do that but due to the nature of FUD it eventually gets brittle and you lose that grip.

It would be good if you could do an operating one and I will be buying some soon and will post pics.

Kind regards, Matthew

It would be good if you could do an operating one and I will be buying some soon and will post pics.

Kind regards, Matthew

Operating ones are beyond my control at the moment, maybe best left to people with better access to spares and better equipment.

For what I had at hand and what resources are currently available to make them, I've done the best I could.

But I do hope materials improve over time and that I can atleast make one that can be raised and lowered without having to use glue etc.