The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

I've added a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals which really improves the racing game experience, especially with Project Cars. 

i wa in a charity shop the other week and they had a G29 wheel for £29, did a google search while in the shop but couldn’t see that it worked with the PS4 so left it there, wish I’d have just taken the chance now! 

saying that since then I’ve renewed my PC since the last one got the blue screen of death thanks to windows 7 so I could have used it with that too as it’s a windows 10 powered thing with according to my lad a very good 1070 graphics card, he keeps going on about no frame lag on GTA 5 

• RMweb Premium

I have a, I think, Logitech steering wheel with pedals and gear shift that I bought for my PS3 way back in the mid noughties, intending to play Grand Prix 2006 with it. It sits in box unused for the most part as I never got round to making a frame to mount it on so I could use it from the 'sofa', and I never felt I wanted to use it sitting bolt upright at a normal desk.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

I've just discovered this thread by accident (haven't really had a look in Wheeltappers before), and as I've been a gamer for almost 40 years, I thought i'd join in.

It started for me in late 1981 with a ZX81 and a 16K memory pack. Asteroids and 3D Monster Maze were my favourites on that, as well as going to a mates house for Manic Miner marathons.

I progressed on to an Acorn Electron. The standout games on that for me were Strike Force harrier and Elite.

Then I had a few years with Amiga 500's and 1200's. There are too many good games to list, but I had an extensive selection from the Microprose catalogue and destroyed many joysticks on Sensible Soccer and Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix.

My first console was the PlayStation (yes, PlayStation before it became the PlayStation One). My best mate and fellow Sensible fanatic knew it was on the horizon and that one of the lead games was going to be Ridge Racer. We spent a lot of the summer at a local arcade playing it and enthusing about how we'd soon be able to play it at home. As it turns out, he got his PlayStation first and when he turned up at my house with it he didn't have Ridge Racer, but Wipeout. My mind was blown!

Once I got my own my favourite games through my time with it were TOCA Touring Cars, Medal Of Honor ( my introduction to FPS games) and the game changing Gran Turismo games.

I didn't get a PS2, but instead took a diversion into the murky depths of hardware upgrade chasing PC gaming. This brought an introduction to online gaming, especially FPS games, starting with Medal Of Honor 3, The first few Call Of Duty games as far as Modern Warfare, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Joint Ops, Vietcong and Battlefield 2. I did play some racing games instead, but most sessions would find me running round shooting at people and blowing stuff up.

I got a bit fed up chasing continuous graphics card upgrades and when I was given a PS3 for my fortieth birthday I was back into console gaming. The racing bug bit again with GT4 and the Battlefield games provided the shooting fix.

I was lucky enough to pick up a PS4 on release day without a reservation and I have continued to play and enjoy the Battlefield series and GT Sport and FIFA. I've added a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals which really improves the racing game experience, especially with Project Cars. I'm StevieD71 on PSN and this week I have been dabbling with Call Of Duty Warzone.

There are a load of really good games to play on PS4, one of the best is Horizon Zero Dawn

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

There are a load of really good games to play on PS4, one of the best is Horizon Zero Dawn

Tons of good stuff about. I had to buy an external drive to hold my collection. At the minute I am rotating round GT Sport, Project Cars 2, Fifa 20, Battlefield 5, Train Sim World (trans pennine and Tees add ons) and now Warzone. I occasionally stick GTA on and just muck about on it.

I've heard good things about Horizon Zero Dawn. Must take another look at it.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I have a, I think, Logitech steering wheel with pedals and gear shift that I bought for my PS3 way back in the mid noughties, intending to play Grand Prix 2006 with it. It sits in box unused for the most part as I never got round to making a frame to mount it on so I could use it from the 'sofa', and I never felt I wanted to use it sitting bolt upright at a normal desk.

I built a stand for mine from a couple of cheap B&Q shelves and some lengths of the cheapest suitable timber I could get. I sprayed it with a can of red paint that was left over from another job.

The problem I had initaially was that my PS4 was in the kitchen and I sat on a bar stool while playing. The stand was quite tall to accomodate this, but it had to stay in the train shed (where it invariably got in the way) and it using it was a faff which involved carrying it across the garden and shifting the kitchen table and chairs around. The TV in the kitchen was also mounted quite high, which meant I was always looking up at the screen when using the wheel.

When my son moved out to live in Belfast and my daughter took his bedroom I seized the opportunity to move the PS4 up to the spare room, mounted a spare TV at suitable height on the wall and brought the wheel in. I share the room with my daughters art desk and a clothes airer, but now i have a corner where everything (spare controller, headset, game disks etc) can sit together.

image.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Who's the Star Wars fan? Jedi Fallen Order is well worth a spin.

C6T. 

That would be me. I was there in '77, aged 6. I remember standing outside Coleraine Playhouse cinema, Luke Skywalker action figure in hand (the one with the retractable lightsaber), almost overcome with excitement. I've enjoyed every movie since, even the ones I'm not supposed to and I play Star Wars Battlefront badly at times.

I have a mate who has been banging on at me to give Fallen Order a go.

Once I got my own my favourite games through my time with it were TOCA Touring Cars, Medal Of Honor ( my introduction to FPS games)

Medal of Honor was my introduction to PS1 games; my best mate at Secondary had a PlayStation and I played a couple of levels and decided I wanted my own copy as soon as possible.  My 15th Birthday, money and savings got me one of the first slimline Ps1's with Medal of Honor and a warplane game called "Eagle One: Harrier Attack" in a special offer from Electronics Boutique (remember them?).  The first two Medal of Honor games (the original and "Underground") remain two of my favourite games ever, and the multiplayer mode was always fun.  

I decided to let my foster-kids play it too last year (it's nice knowing they can multiplay on something where there isn't a risk of them accidentally buying upgrades because the console is permanently online- God Bless the basic but reliable early playstations built in the pre-internet age).  Elder Child gives me a good run for my money on the multiplayer now.  

One odd thing to look back on now is getting the PS1 chipped -completely illegal of course- so it could play copied games.  Cannot remember now who did it for me, but I can remember walking home in the afternoons from school (three miles!) so I could save the bus fare  and buy copied games off a mate who did a roaring trade in them.  Not that the coppers cared; when his house got burgled, the police officers reportedly ignored the stacks of copies, but for the dozen or so they helped themselves to ;) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Medal of Honor was my introduction to PS1 games; my best mate at Secondary had a PlayStation and I played a couple of levels and decided I wanted my own copy as soon as possible.  My 15th Birthday, money and savings got me one of the first slimline Ps1's with Medal of Honor and a warplane game called "Eagle One: Harrier Attack" in a special offer from Electronics Boutique (remember them?).  The first two Medal of Honor games (the original and "Underground") remain two of my favourite games ever, and the multiplayer mode was always fun.  

I decided to let my foster-kids play it too last year (it's nice knowing they can multiplay on something where there isn't a risk of them accidentally buying upgrades because the console is permanently online- God Bless the basic but reliable early playstations built in the pre-internet age).  Elder Child gives me a good run for my money on the multiplayer now.  

One odd thing to look back on now is getting the PS1 chipped -completely illegal of course- so it could play copied games.  Cannot remember now who did it for me, but I can remember walking home in the afternoons from school (three miles!) so I could save the bus fare  and buy copied games off a mate who did a roaring trade in them.  Not that the coppers cared; when his house got burgled, the police officers reportedly ignored the stacks of copies, but for the dozen or so they helped themselves to ;) 

The first 2 Medal Of Honor games are among my all time favourites. They were so atmospheric.

I vividly remember my first time playing the first one. Dropped by the plane in the clearing and walking towards the house when a German soldier appeared. I took a shot, hit him in the head and his helmet flew off.

At that point I paused the game, went to the phone (landline, not mobile), phoned a mate who was also into WW2 stuff, and just said, "you have to buy this game". That was after about a minutes play!

• Like 1

Whilst I've always been someone perfectly happy with their own company, give me a good game/film/album, railway modelling etc and I'll gladly let the world pass me by, Dad is 74 and as his social circle shrinks looks likely to be spending more time at home. 

I'm going to loan him the PS3, ostensibly so he can access Netflix and other streaming TV, but was wondering if anyone had elder relatives that whilst not gamers per se have taken a shine to any titles in particular? 

It currently has a Namco bundle installed on it including a faithful emulation of Pac Man, about as simple as games get, plus he played 'Puck Monster' a CGL 9 volt game (remember them?) more than I did back in the day!

product-117449.jpg.2bb1290e4f1b77bdd6598c4534a9a783.jpg

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
Add pic

So, Microsoft and Sony have shown their hands (retail prices aside) wrt their next generation consoles:

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/03/19/playstation-5-versus-xbox-series-x-the-tech-specs

For myself it's not a competition, Sony's unenviable list of native IP's (notwithstanding my MS "issues") is enough to keep me brand loyal. Confirmation that the PS5 will have (a limited at launch) backwards compatability is welcome, if that means I can actually play my existing PS4's enhanced titles in hi-def. The sub terabyte SSD is disappointing, we know games are getting bigger and 1Tb was only briefly adequate on the PS4. Given the processing power on the new machine how long is 800Gb going to last? 

Retail is harder to nail down. $470 is being bandied about, based on business costs of components, manufacture etc., which I guess would mean a UK price of £449.99 to £499.99. Based not on Pound/Dollar conversion of course but marketing input on what is an acceptable to the punter sticker price. News to me was that actual cost of R&D, manufacture and distribution of consoles is often absorbed by the company in the hope of accrued returns on subs and in-house game store purchasing.

All of which assumes, with the current difficulties, they'll be made and make it to sale at some point. But I needed to post something that wasn't doom and gloom, and perhaps a couple of people might read it on here, as opposed to my blog!

Stay safe friends, C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

Started playing COD WarZone - managed to get to the last 32 of a 150 player battle royale on my second attempt - not as good as it sounds as I never saw another player (heard plenty shooting and some walking), I was sniped, won my Gulag and then after 10 mins creeping / walking around was sniped again - game over but I was pleased with my position.

For a free game it's superb - recommended to those who like to shoot things.

3 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Started playing COD WarZone - managed to get to the last 32 of a 150 player battle royale on my second attempt - not as good as it sounds as I never saw another player (heard plenty shooting and some walking), I was sniped, won my Gulag and then after 10 mins creeping / walking around was sniped again - game over but I was pleased with my position.

For a free game it's superb - recommended to those who like to shoot things.

I never had you down for an MMO shooter Skip! Sniper Elite online sure, but that's rather more cerebral right? 

So Warzone, Fortnite for grown-ups?

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I never had you down for an MMO shooter Skip! Sniper Elite online sure, but that's rather more cerebral right? 

So Warzone, Fortnite for grown-ups?

I've played MOHAA since day one, used to admin a clan and several game servers, not so massive but we could get 40 people on the server and on occasion up to 60. Great fun - the hackers killed it off really although it's still played by some.

Warzone is good fun, my days of being up there with the best are gone now, eyesight not sharp and reactions just too slow, but I can wander around causing some mayhem for a while by being sneaky ! - I  managed to find and kill off a few fellow players last night so progressed to below 100 position (out of 150) on merit for a change !

• RMweb Premium

My current gamig task is to now get as many Destiny triumphs as possible, currently working on Gambit Prime and Dreaming City.

Finished the cats recently, now on corrupted eggs and Marasenna.

I also cannot get massacre Prime medals. And Reckoning has gone too bonkers to get more Notorious armour.

Like many I guess, time on my hands has meant I've been able to do some much needed tidying up.

Dusted off the Game Gear. White screen only at power up, so little more than a retro curiosity now I think.

_20200326_190427_compress96.jpg.85728dbdeaddc90ae65643e694223bf6.jpg

_20200326_190744_compress65.jpg.767db0ede116eef6e69380a161725c04.jpg

Sorted the PS2 and Anime library too. 

_20200326_190643_compress38.jpg.93ec468d736215eef32fef5698b134ef.jpg

Plenty more to do...

Stay safe, C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Managed 8th (out of 150) on a WarZone solo battle royale today - quite pleased with that as I don't play it all the time to gain the skills to be a winner.

Funniest moment - for me - was killing two players while parachuting in, and being so chuffed I forgot to pull the chord, so splatted on the roof of a garage (you probably had to be there)

• Funny 2

Cities: Skylines had a DLC drop this week, so I've been holding off starting a new city until the Mods I use are updated for the new DLC.

So, what do I play while in lockdown?

A quick peruse on Steam threw up this one, cheap as it is in Early Access...

727245944_BristolInt10.jpg.08d166e9dff3ea7ead95636165c7128c.jpg

Airport CEO is now on my regular play list...

The next project for The C6T Museum of the Future is this bad boy:

DSC_0068.JPG.5ca71f350b83d642b8f5097260c6da48.JPG

Obviously a deep clean is a priority. I have managed to ascertain the transformer works and the keyboard will take power. Whether any of the internals still function, the floppy disks are still good and all that can be displayed on screen however is unknown.

Amiga favourite Flashback is actually available to play on PS4, with a graphically remade version also on PS3. Zeewolf, Mortal Kombat and Dune were other favourites. There's three boxes of floppies, probably not been opened for a decade and a half!

C6T. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well WarZone is dead on the PC, the hackers are already on it and wall hacks and aim bots are out there.

I've watched a few  YouTube videos which have confirmed it - the hacks are the reason I stopped playing COD, it was no fun getting auto-aimed or wall hacked and now, sadly WarZone has been hit. I'm hoping the developers do something about this but if not, then the game will be removed from my machine.

Perhaps I need a console.

• Friendly/supportive 1