The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2019 at 10:38, Kelly said:

Yes, I've noticed TS2020 is rather expensive when you add the DLC to it. But with so many to choose from you don't need to get all of them at once, I doubt most people would be able to complete them all with so many!

That's the things with Train Simulator, what you're really paying for are the routes and stock you're interested in. It doesn't really fit the usual DLC model, where you're missing out a bit if you don't get it (at least that seems to be the intention). TS DLC I don't like? I'll see what someone comes up with next (which reminds me, must check out on what happened to the Stainmore route that was under development).

• RMweb Gold

Having bought the game yesterday, and completed the training an hour ago, I've just completed my first career run on the Lymington Branch. Short, but sweet! (As it happens, I *almost* produced a model of the section of the line from Lymington Town to the Pier station when I was younger, but never got around to it.)  Anyway, I digress...

This game was definitely the right choice for me, and I can see how the DLC model here is, despite being rather expensive, better than most other games. There are a few routes I might get, but only on sale I should think.
I'm hoping they'll add my local (long gone) line in at some point; that would be amazing to pottter around on. My only problem thus far was the driver vigilance device; which for some reason is sometimes cancelled by pressing "E", and not "Q". Nearly got a headache from the beeping until I found a forum post that explained the problem being down to a certain soundpack.

Anyway, I can see this is going to be a great game, and whilst I still have my reservations about the DLC format, as Reorte says; at least this is a pick and choose for the stuff you want; rather than missing core content per se.

20191222192726_1.jpg.e9b4a4862ef8b31b552bcbd08de60018.jpg

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I'm hoping they'll add my local (long gone) line in at some point; that would be amazing to pottter around on. My only problem thus far was the driver vigilance device; which for some reason is sometimes cancelled by pressing "E", and not "Q". Nearly got a headache from the beeping until I found a forum post that explained the problem being down to a certain soundpack.

The only route I've got which has it cancels it with Q, but I do wonder if that's "any input cancels it" and I'd been using the same button to cancel AWS out of confusion - long time since I've played anything vaguely modern in it.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2019 at 18:32, Classsix T said:

30801 raises a pertinent point friends. When do we decide we actually "like" a game!?

Not so much in the sequels of loved franchises or next titles "from the makers of" but more perhaps games you've taken a punt on without knowing more than the genre and maybe some scant glances at reviews and screenshots. 

I think my favourite personal experience was with Horizon Zero Dawn. It came from an unknown to me developer promising stuff unfamiliar but I literally knew after the tutorial chapters I'd love the game. Uncharted 4 did the same.

Neither of those are essentially breaking new ground though in terms of being third person combat 3D platformers.

Early doors into Thief and Deus Ex Human Revolution (a total punt on a three game compo disc) I was impressed. I think by the writing more than anything, then the gameplay interaction and physics just layered the quality of the product over and over. Mass Effect and Last of Us much the same. 

With the Marmite Quantic Dream trilogy my order of preference goes BTS, DBH and then HR.

I never "got" Dead Space or Anthem I think because, beyond them being nice to look at, the entire premise of the game makes little or no sense to me. Poor writing imo. 

Maybe therefore, I'm easy to sell to. Bolt a cracking story on to a solid gameplay experience...ahh, yeah. 

Culturally of course Japanese tropes don't always translate effectively to the West. The themes raised in classic anime such as Akira or Evangelion will be confusing to many in Europe and the US. Similarly for games originating in studios in Japan. Thus Silent Hill 2's ending was open to much interpretation! 

What a waffle! C6T. 

I just bought the last Uncharted game cheap on PS Store, now have the complete set including Vita game.

As to H:ZD, no brainer looking at my Avatar.

On 09/12/2019 at 22:48, Steadfast said:

I'm replaying LA Noire in fits and starts at the moment in the company of my other half. We tend to do a case or two, until we get tired and start missing key clues! 

She's much better at the judging people's reactions than I am, leaving me to (as she put it) the blokey bit of doing the driving. Nowt like reverting to stereotypes:D

It's a good game, with interesting game play and story, though it is showing its age and some of the motion capture makes it tough to judge people's facial expression, to decide if they're lying or being honest. Also the cars handle like the wheels are made of jelly! I'd like to see a sequel, based on the RDR 2 engine.

Anyone else play this one back in the day?

Jo

Job done, the charity shop had a PS3 copy in, £2.50. Can't argue with that.

C6T. 

• Like 1

Jedi: Fallen Order completed. The ending is excellent!

newgame+ and the aforementioned photo mode would be worthy additions.

Though I did the entire game on Jedi Master difficulty, there's just the one completion trophy but I garner satisfaction from not breezing through it.

A solid 8/10 title, recommended but a must for the gaming Star Wars fan.

RNFetchBlobTmp_9f2xnxzas68srf0uzkv4cm.jpg.4247569dc46521900c770291b77e7d2c.jpg

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 13:34, Classsix T said:

So anyone into the cult of Geralt caught Netflix's The Witcher yet and care to opine? Having barely scratched the surface of Wild Hunt I'll have to base any thoughts of it purely as a TV show...

I quite like it. It looks a lot like the game although Henry Cavill I find looks like Henry Cavill and not so much Geralt.

I have read one of the books but didn't get into it and can't remember any of it so I'm not outraged if it makes changes from the books.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2019 at 22:44, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I usually absolutely hate the idea and price of most DLC (as it happens, the only DLC I've bought was also for ETS2, and cost under £2), but driving around Scandinavia in a huge lorry sounds like a fun DLC to me.
And speaking of expensive DLC, boy oh boy was I shocked at the DLC for Train Sim 2020. Good grief... over 500 of them (553 to be precise),with a lot between the £12-£25 range each at normal prices! At current discount prices, that's already almost £3k in DLC - absolutely NUTS!

I'm sure I read somewhere that with all the DLC for TS20xx, it made it the most expensive game in the world.

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2019 at 19:43, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I'm hoping they'll add my local (long gone) line in at some point; that would be amazing to pottter around on.

Totton to Fawley by any chance?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that with all the DLC for TS20xx, it made it the most expensive game in the world.

I don't doubt it!
Still, could be worse; I still personally think it's better done than Rockstar/Take-Two... the less said about them, the better...

28 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Totton to Fawley by any chance?

Ooh, no, but that would be a good one as well, particularly with my interest in the refinery railway.
I was actually thinking of the long-gone "other" S&DJR (Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway) - Salisbury (Alderbury Junction) to West Moors.

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

...I was actually thinking of the long-gone "other" S&DJR (Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway) - Salisbury (Alderbury Junction) to West Moors.

Now there's a line worth driving :)

• RMweb Gold

Downloaded a few games to various consoles while the sales were on for the Xbox one I got COD modern warfare deluxe edition and Wreckfest With season pass and DLC 

on the switch I got myself tabletop racing (Micro machine type game) and rally racers (cartoon type racing) as they were 2 for £15 from Argos, I then downloaded Moto rush GT (motorbike game) and Afterburner (airplane game) as they both came to less than £10 for the pair 

also been playing luigi’s mansion 3 with Gethin on his switch which is all he wanted for Christmas, he also used his Christmas money to get Mario and sonic at the 2020 Olympics which is actually quite a good game

ive set up our old front room TV in his room so he now has his switch plugged in as well as his Wii-u and an old Xbox 360 so we have been revisiting mariokart 7 and mario party on the Wii-u too

• Like 1

Sony went bonkers with the amount of games on sale, many of them under a tenner. Add to that a list Kotaku published of Underrated Games of the Decade and both the PS3 & PS4 received multiple titles, including;

This Is The Police

Flow, Flower & Journey bundle

The Last Guardian

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus bundle

I Am Alive

Remember Me

Sleeping Dogs

Binary Domain 

Dragon Age 2

NieR Automata (demo) 

Phew! And I haven't even started the pre Xmas purchases after finishing JFO...

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Picked up the entire Bioshock series cheap the other day, they're games that seem to crop up all the time and I'd never played them and the lot for £8 seemed worthwhile.

They are worth while, played them on PS3.

Move support on Infinite was fun.

5 hours ago, Reorte said:

Picked up the entire Bioshock series cheap the other day, they're games that seem to crop up all the time and I'd never played them and the lot for £8 seemed worthwhile.

I picked up the Collection (3 games) ages ago on disc for the PS4 on recommendation from a friend and started the first one. Really liked the Art Deco style and theme, but as I've stated previously, first person perspective isn't my favoured game style. Interesting though nonetheless. 

I suspect something else came along as I didn't get that far into it, there for another day however.

C6T. 

By the by, I'm informed January's PSN games will be The Uncharted Collection, so that's 1, 2 & 3, and Goat Simulator (!). Make of that what you will.

Hard to imagine anyone with a Mk3 or 4 Sony console hasn't already purchased or played at least one of Nathan Drake's first three outings as much as they'd like, but whatever. Perhaps it's a marketing ploy to encourage interest in Last of Us 2 later in the year somehow.

I suppose it might not be a bad idea to actually download the Uncharteds anyway as it'd negate having to pop a disc in when I want to replay them and/or my physical copies go manky? Does that affect the game saves or trophies I've already got though?

C6T.

#firstworldproblems

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Got through all the Bioshock games already (not been doing much else this weekend...) Not sure how I feel about them right now either, suspecting the DLC to Infinite might've been a mistake - it certainly left me feeling annoyed, and a quick bit of looking around elsewhere suggests I'm not alone on that.

• RMweb Premium

I'm going into real rivet counter territory here but I've my suspicions about the Elite one. Looks like it's in the space stations safety zone (yellow S to the bottom right of the scanner), but the sun is rather close for that. And two Mambas in that area? They normally fly off as soon as you enter. The sun also seems to be extending to the right of the console, which would put it outside the drawn screen area (there should also be a white line around the area).

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

I'm going into real rivet counter territory here but I've my suspicions about the Elite one. Looks like it's in the space stations safety zone (yellow S to the bottom right of the scanner), but the sun is rather close for that. And two Mambas in that area? They normally fly off as soon as you enter. The sun also seems to be extending to the right of the console, which would put it outside the drawn screen area (there should also be a white line around the area).

aw133-14-video-games-gamer-collection-pk-postcard-elite-front.jpg.705f46253743f0a5fc0f4c9fceafcb6c.jpg

Snap 'em up before they're withdrawn from sale!?

They probably needed something instantly recognisable as Elite, and not any other vector graphic game, even if that compromised its accuracy? 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1