The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

49 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I thought there was no connection between the two products.

There was an interview vid with some bod explaining that the "technology" was completely different.

I must admit, I wont bother with TSW2 but would be interested in seeing how you progress/get along.

Kev.

I think you're right Kev. The two titles work on different code so aren't necessary compatible. I guess I'll have to play my TSW 2020 stuff on one version and anything for TSW 2 on t'other.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SHMD said:

I thought there was no connection between the two products.

There was an interview vid with some bod explaining that the "technology" was completely different.

I must admit, I wont bother with TSW2 but would be interested in seeing how you progress/get along.

Train Simulator and Train Sim World are completely different but I thought Train Sim World 2 and Train Sim World were similar enough, at least so that the TSW DLC worked on TSW2. I've not tried either (not interested at all in modern stuff, a very familar route might still just sway me but none have been released yet; the BR Blue ones are a "maybe" if there were some definites in there, needs steam before I'll seriously consider it).

The blurb attached to the TSW 2 Preserved Collection add-ons contains the line, "As this is part of the Preserved Collection, features remain as they were in the original release."

So I'm guessing the code reverts to the TSW 2020 version when launched?

C6T. 

Anyone else with PS5 getting this?:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/ky6wy8/lets_figure_out_this_ps5_rest_mode_bug_i_have/

I'm getting the straight back to rest mode on start-up (from rest via the PS button on the controller). Nothing more than that, thankfully.

I haven't done any exhaustive testing, but it would appear waking up the console by either pressing the PS5s power button or using activation via the TVs HDMI connection (selecting the PS5 HDMI input from the remote to wake the PS5) might be negating the firmware bug.

The above two seem to work, but it's hopefully patched out soon.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd flag up an issue about TSW2 that was causing some consternation.

I purchased TSW2 a few months back and have a decent selection of add-ons.  Lately, after it has loaded, a message came up on the screen saying that I needed to download and install the latest update to play a number of those add-ons.  Most were the legacy items from the earlier version, but one was the Cathcart Circle route that post-dates TSW2.

PS4 confirmed that I had the latest version, so you can imagine my frustration.

Anyway, after consulting the web of all knowledge, I deleted TSW2 and then re-installed through a heart-stopping period of discovering TSW2 wasn't in my diary - only it was, it was just under the "not installed" apps, which were hidden until told to reveal themselves.

Long story slightly less long, after half a day downloading and installing, everything is fine and tickety boo.

Best

Scott.

• Friendly/supportive 1

You can tell from my earlier posts, I'm not that au fait with how Dovetail are running TSW.

However, should anyone on Sony's system find they "lose" an item they know darned well they paid money for, head straight for the PS Store and scroll down to Library. Within there will be all the stuff currently on system, purchased items and any PS+ you're entitled to. HTH.

C6T. 

No worries Scott, the PlayStation 4 is like many computer systems in that it's all very user friendly, as long as you know where everything is!

You might want to turn auto updates on as well, which will do as it says whilst the PS4 is resting. Additionally to that you need to ensure the console is always internet connected as well as put into rest rather than powered off when you're done playing.

All that is in the settings menus.

Apologies if that's all a bit patronising! C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Got the Xbox set up in the garage again and ended up in one of Dom’s night clubs, it sounds superb with the surround sound and 2 amplified bass speakers pumping away, the screen is a 100 inch drop down with a HD projector so picture quality is really good, as you move round the club the sound muffles when you leave the main dance floor and crosses from one speaker to the other and behind you as you turn round 

note how Dom has made his character on GTA look just like himself, dances the same too!

• Like 1

I've made my way through to Mass Effect 3 in the Legendary Edition, Photo-Mode-ing and grabbing screen shots as I go, something you couldn't do on PlayStation 3.

Uploaded a couple of vids to YT, both of firefights I remember being particularly challenging first time around on normal difficulty, both of these are on hardcore...Shep died more than a few times attempting them. Must've tried the Grissom Academy level a dozen times or more:

Btw, for those unfamiliar with Mass Effect gameplay, I totally understand it's a hard watch, but the player is required to constantly monitor the battlefield and dispense death prudently, not like RTS games but being aware of flanking moves and such is the key to success.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see Mass Effect Legendary Edition is coming to Game Pass (presumably EA Play) soon (Thursday if I read it correctly), so I will finally get to play it.   Which is good timing to distract me from another Witcher 3 play through (which I am trying to save until the Series X update comes out later in the year)

I have never played Mass Effect and have been waiting for this to be on game pass since I got my series x last year

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 09:17, The Fatadder said:

I see Mass Effect Legendary Edition is coming to Game Pass (presumably EA Play) soon (Thursday if I read it correctly), so I will finally get to play it.   Which is good timing to distract me from another Witcher 3 play through (which I am trying to save until the Series X update comes out later in the year)

I have never played Mass Effect and have been waiting for this to be on game pass since I got my series x last year

I'm rather envious you get to play it for the first time!

Do let us know how you get along wontcha?

C6T.

Further to my TSW confusion, browsing the Add-Ons in the PS5 launched PS Store all the PS4 versions of already paid for TSW 2020 DLC is marked Free to download into TSW 2 (Preserved Collection), but if I want the PS5 versions (to go with the PS5 copy of TSW 2 I have installed) I have to pay for them! Again! 

I could install the PS4 version of TSW 2, on the PS5 I suppose, which totally defeats the object of upgrading to the PS5 version of TSW 2 in the first place! 

Anyone know if the PS5 version is actually higher resolution & framerate etc.?

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

Can't answer your question but was TSW 2 released after the PS5, so no-one would have had TSW only on it? Guess they're just viewing them as entirely separate platforms and thus separate products.

Still avoiding TSW anyway as long as it only sticks to modern stuff (the lack of third-party routes doesn't help either).

30 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Can't answer your question but was TSW 2 released after the PS5, so no-one would have had TSW only on it? Guess they're just viewing them as entirely separate platforms and thus separate products.

Still avoiding TSW anyway as long as it only sticks to modern stuff (the lack of third-party routes doesn't help either).

I would imagine like many of the PS4/PS5 game options available there's probably a framerate and/or resolution performance tweak, maybe ray tracing and draw distance too. I just can't figure why the PS5 versions of DLC I've already paid for is at cost when the same for PS4 is free.

Unless I learn for sure that Trainz will run on the M1 MacBook, I'm stuck with TSW on console. So it is what it is.

Lack of steam traction doesn't bother me, though I'm hopeful Dovetail might add in Cl. 55/56/60 one day, but for the sale prices I'm paying for the currently available routes and motive power, it's still a vfm title imo.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

I could see me not bothering with PS5 now, PS4 still works well, games prices are pretty high, I reckon my PS+ backlog and recent purchases will see me until HFW discounts hit.

Prices have shot past Comet levels, past Lorider levels and I reckon will soon be RTR loco levels.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2022 at 21:35, Classsix T said:

I'm rather envious you get to play it for the first time!

Do let us know how you get along wontcha?

C6T.

Enjoying it so far, good story and the graphics are ok.   a bit of an annoyance in that it doesn’t appear to have quick resume (I’ve switched the console off in the way I do on most games without thinking to save first only to loose progress.  

Mass Effect 1 is reminding me a little of Dragon Age 2 I’m the constant reuse of the same maps for a lot of the building (a little disappointing as it was on DA2). Look forward to seeing how it improves on the more recent releases.   The series has so much hype, it’s not quite living up to it so far.  Right now I would say I enjoyed Dragon Age a lot more at this point of the game, (while I’d rate the first Witcher higher still). 

9 hours ago, MJI said:

I could see me not bothering with PS5 now, PS4 still works well, games prices are pretty high

The only game so far for the PS5 I'm interested in is Horizon Forbidden West and that's out on the PS4.

I did have a PS5 in my basket a couple of times but they were the Game bundles with stuff I didn't want and £600 was just too much. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Enjoying it so far, good story and the graphics are ok.   a bit of an annoyance in that it doesn’t appear to have quick resume (I’ve switched the console off in the way I do on most games without thinking to save first only to loose progress.  

Mass Effect 1 is reminding me a little of Dragon Age 2 I’m the constant reuse of the same maps for a lot of the building (a little disappointing as it was on DA2). Look forward to seeing how it improves on the more recent releases.   The series has so much hype, it’s not quite living up to it so far.  Right now I would say I enjoyed Dragon Age a lot more at this point of the game, (while I’d rate the first Witcher higher still).

The first game is a little rough, and still is in the Legendary Edition (there's been a bit of polish but it's largely unchanged). A pity, since it really needed a remake rather than a remaster, and I'm not sure 2 and 3 needed either. 2 and 3 are a significant change in that respect and play fairly differently. Less open, and a great deal less repetition.

• Agree 1

Absolutely. ME1 only starts to really come good both graphically and the 'meat' of real consequence decision making on Virmire imo.

In terms of saving game progress, I felt quite guilty I saved as regularly as I did, including before each locker/item that needs a combination!

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Absolutely. ME1 only starts to really come good both graphically and the 'meat' of real consequence decision making on Virmire imo.

In terms of saving game progress, I felt quite guilty I saved as regularly as I did, including before each locker/item that needs a combination!

Worth saving in any case, on PC I've got stuck in the terrain (on foot) in ME1, and 2 sometimes crashed when I used some powers (think it was cloak and hack combo).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Back when I was playing games on the PC I used to save really regularly, I think it comes down to the lack of a quick save key on the xbox controller (I wish I could remap the useless screenshot button, but as far as I can see that is not possible).  Needless to say I was playing last night and the system crashed knocking it back to the previous autosave...

On 10/01/2022 at 11:09, The Fatadder said:

I wish I could remap the useless screenshot button, but as far as I can see that is not possible

Sure but, it's been a major selling point of the Legendary Edition on PlayStation afaic.

None of the things that made the game a masterpiece to me, especially the comradery between the characters within the cutscenes, but additionally the sheer quality of work necessary that went into the space battles, the heft and omnipresence of a Reaper etc. was available to preserve on the PS3 version.

But I'm a sucker for screen grabbing and video capture of titles I like. Erm see upthread, like, any page! So I'm filling my boots. 

Perhaps it's my not-PC background of checkpoint only progress saves or console OPTION-SAVE-SELECT-CONFIRM-RESUME button presses that doesn't actually seem a faff, but is par for the course, my muscle memory being such it's almost automatic!

That aside, nice to know you haven't binned the entire thing. It does improve, honest!

C6T.