The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

Dunno if these'll play well with other systems but I wouldn't be without mine that's been attached to two generations of PlayStation:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-save-50-on-this-large-samsung-t7-2tb-portable-ssd-with-a-cashback-offer

Format the bu99er to Sony's demands and there's 2Tb of storage right there. Read speed quicker than off the internal HD on a PS4 too I believe.

C6T.

Very nearly late for work today. Had I have been I'd've had to explain I was attempting to shoot Hitler in the nad(s).

Preferably from 300+ metres away for a twofer trophy haul, but the Bohemian Corporal does tend to mooch around the Berghof at a less than rapid pace. As doped-up nutjobs do I guess.

Still, I'll bet my shift Supervisor hasn't had to enter that on attendance report form before.

Note to self: Sniper Elite 5 is a waiting game...the real world still goes on.

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

A few minutes with the Forspoken demo has left me disappointed with the game, to the point it's freed up January for other games and saved me the cost of buying it (at least until it's on 80% deep discount).

Sigh...where to start? Well yes, big open vistas of a vibrant looking game world. Fine, I like that. The magic parkour eases transit across distance which is also cool. Trouble is, if you see something moving in the distance more likely than not it'll be something that wants to kill you. Which I find incredulous in a game of this type frankly because it isn't that far removed from Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Sonic or any number of bullet-hell sh'mups.

In the notable open world games you've perhaps time to take in the environment, relax and chill. And you'll bump into NPC's and environments that are a divergence from a constant cycle of kill-traverse-kill. Forspoken actually has encouraged photo spots and the ability to camp, but it reminds you to kill all nearby baddies first...mm'kay.

On top of that though, the protagonist and her constant companion engage in "banter". This had been raised by folks following the last trailer released for the game which I dismissed as probably irrelevant. It isn't. It becomes incredibly tiresome the more it continues. I'd hope in the published game this relationship develops into something substantial, if not it's barmy.

What I also found difficult to get to grips with was the info heavy nature of how the magic attacks, spells, crafting and such works. The crux is they're elemental (earth, air, fire & water) baddies weak/strong etc.

HZD I got all that...HFW less so and Skyrim & The Witcher I've still got to grasp. The big difference being those three games pulled me in to want to learn. Forspoken, I don't care.

C6T.

• Informative/Useful 2

21 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Well your gaming keyboard with a few RGB LEDs behind the keys is looking a bit old-hat now.

Mmm. Watched Iron Man 3 the other day...I dunno about keyboards and shizzle, but the more I see Robert Downey Jr. hand wave his way through fed information in a virtual space, I'm thinking...bollox!

Note to studio exec's, I am willing to do daft green screen crap for less than $15m a picture.

C6T.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Mass effect trilogy is one of the games on PS Plus this month, so what the hell; downloaded the lot and had a look at Volume 1. It feels awfully clunky (but intriguing), but then I'm guessing it's now a fair age?

My brother, who is a bit of a gamer (XBox rather than my leaning toward PS) and he advises to stick with it because the production of 2 and 3 are markedly better than 1.  

I'll keep going based on that.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Mass effect trilogy is one of the games on PS Plus this month, so what the hell; downloaded the lot and had a look at Volume 1. It feels awfully clunky (but intriguing), but then I'm guessing it's now a fair age?

My brother, who is a bit of a gamer (XBox rather than my leaning toward PS) and he advises to stick with it because the production of 2 and 3 are markedly better than 1.  

Best

Scott.

I’d second that, the first game I found rather repetitive and clunky, the other two were brilliant 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Best to go through 1 for the sake of the story. It's a pity that the Legendary Edition wasn't just a complete remake of 1 instead. 2 and 3 play much better, although I'm in the camp of those who were, to put it mildly, unimpressed about how the story in 3 worked out, although it's got the best gameplay.

The first game was what, 2007? Getting on a bit now.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Best to go through 1 for the sake of the story. It's a pity that the Legendary Edition wasn't just a complete remake of 1 instead. 2 and 3 play much better, although I'm in the camp of those who were, to put it mildly, unimpressed about how the story in 3 worked out, although it's got the best gameplay.

Yes, I would struggle to deal with it if I started in the middle, I've got to see the story from the start.

Best

Scott

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I’d second that, the first game I found rather repetitive and clunky, the other two were brilliant 

At present, I am running errands/investigating around teh Citadel and it is a bit repetitive scooting back and forward to different rooms...

I am intrigued though.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I concur, ME1 is the appetiser to the main course of 2 & 3.

Star brat being the slight tinge of indigestion, natch.

ME3 had more than its fair share of problems. But it also had the Javelin.

It also had multiplayer (although not in the Legendary Edition), something I never wanted in a Mass Effect game and something that turned out to be a lot of fun. I spent a lot of time on it - far too much - I've soloed Platinum with said Javelin. Even managed to take down two Phantoms at once with it (entirely by luck, I never even saw the second one, but don't tell anyone that!)

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium

ME1 is terrible to play, I tried to get a refund but too late.

I loved ME2 though.

May reinstall to do 3, 1 can do one, until bugs are sorted, I want to hear what is happening.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition/ME1-audio-issue-dialog-amp-sfx-in-surrounds-instead-of-center/td-p/10337682

8 hours ago, Reorte said:

2007 is indeed the date stamp on the title screen, I believe however there was some Xbox exclusivity for it on consoles. I certainly didn't get to play Shep's first outing until I got it bundled in with the PS3 triple disc set (sometime after having played 2&3 incidentally) additionally I don't think ME1 was ever available to purchase digitally for any PlayStation generation and the triple disc set wasn't ported to PS4.

Odd to think it'll have been some fifteen years since release that a swathe of gamers are only now being able to get frustrated at Mako driving and Thresher Maws.

Really does also beg the question why BioWare didn't grasp the nettle and remake it from the ground up.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

Having just come from the cinema...I hope the upcoming Avatar game will be better than the movie. Looks fantastic but, Jeez.

I ended up playing spot the stolen plot devices. My bingo card has Phantom Menace, Free Willy and any number of Vietnam & Cowboys and Indians garbage jammed in there. It was the "elixir of youth" reveal that promoted a FFS turn to my companion and left me wondering how long to credits.

I'm told there's a number more Avatar movies to come. Hold tight folks, this could be a bumpy ride!

C6T.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

I ended up playing spot the stolen plot devices. My bingo card has Phantom Menace

Who the hell sees the Phantom Menace and thinks 'I'll steal me some of that' ?!

9 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Who the hell sees the Phantom Menace and thinks 'I'll steal me some of that' ?!

Apparently a school of screenwriters that are all out of original ideas. (Tbf Jurassic World kinda used it too.)

The trailer for Ant Man reinforced my theory that Marvel ran out of any ideas that could actually be set on Earth in the present day sometime ago.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Having just come from the cinema...I hope the upcoming Avatar game will be better than the movie. Looks fantastic but, Jeez.

I ended up playing spot the stolen plot devices. My bingo card has Phantom Menace, Free Willy and any number of Vietnam & Cowboys and Indians garbage jammed in there. It was the "elixir of youth" reveal that promoted a FFS turn to my companion and left me wondering how long to credits.

I'm told there's a number more Avatar movies to come. Hold tight folks, this could be a bumpy ride!

C6T.

Please don't take this as a personal criticism, but I'm genuinely interested in what made you want to see any of the Avatar follow-ups after (presumably) watching the first film?

For me, Avatar is up there with AI, Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbour with respect to time I'll never get back...

Best

Scott.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Please don't take this as a personal criticism, but I'm genuinely interested in what made you want to see any of the Avatar follow-ups after (presumably) watching the first film?

For me, Avatar is up there with AI, Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbour with respect to time I'll never get back...

Best

Scott.

The first Avatar I thought was a fantastic film...I'd avoided reviews...the rest I'll wait for on terrestrial.

I can't speak for the others, one look at the trailers said they weren't for me, but I liked AI too!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

There's some real numbnuts populating GoT Legends right now, markedly since it made its way to PS+.

Repeat offenders are those that wish to purify a cursed item. This means using a weapon that has some kind of handicap attached to dispatch x number of baddies. Depending on the specific curse, there are some a player can do solo in Story mode (matchmaking off) and return to the home screen once achieved. Alternatively I'll get the job done in four player co-op and continue to the end of the match which also rewards all players with bonuses. But no, "gamerz" get their purification done and bail on the other three. Thanx bro'!

Then yesterday there was this tool that thought the best way to play a cooperative game was to just camp in the same spot and off the baddies at the spawn point. No attempt at teamwork, they'd put together a class build for one purpose. I've seen it before but the player was at least aware of the necessity of working for and with the other three players.

By perching as they did, there was no interest in reviving fallen teammates or accomplishing wave bonuses (defeat enemies within invasion areas for example). Even worse, when I encroached upon "their" battlezone all I got was abuse! I mean what is even the point of playing like that? Fun?!

C6T.

Just learnt that the Avatar game will be first-person pov, that's a nope from me then.

On other matters I'm slightly confused about how this month's PS+ games are working for me, specifically Jedi: Fallen Order. I've paid nothing and downloaded (the PS5 version) but it's asking me to insert the (PS4) disc to play. Do I need to download the PS4 version of the game and then the PS5 patch to negate popping the disc in to play?

The PS5 version is stated as free to owners of the PS4 copy btw.

C6T.

On 07/01/2023 at 16:03, Classsix T said:

On other matters I'm slightly confused about how this month's PS+ games are working for me, specifically Jedi: Fallen Order. I've paid nothing and downloaded (the PS5 version) but it's asking me to insert the (PS4) disc to play. Do I need to download the PS4 version of the game and then the PS5 patch to negate popping the disc in to play?

The PS5 version is stated as free to owners of the PS4 copy btw.

C6T.

This did resolve itself, simply by adding the PS4 version to my Library, the disc required icon disappeared.

C6T.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been playing the Witcher 3 Next Gen Updated version recently.

The reports of issues on PC were not exaggerated, at least at first. At first I couldn't play for two minutes without a crash. After the patches it usually runs OK, although not always brilliantly. On a load it's occasionally crashed, and sometimes after a reload the frame rate tanks to completely unplayable (2 fps or so), requiring a restart. But it looks gorgeous.