The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

48 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

"Video games bodyshame morbidly obese lardasses".

Join the discussion at your favoured impotent rage message board of choice and "own the libs!" Like Ted Cruz getting all bent about a Xbox power saving option.

Just trying to predict what straws lazy journo's will grasp next for clickbait...back to your usual program. C6T.

<eats from pot>

how-to-i-replicate-the-delicious-looking-stew-in-this-game-v0-rwk0y25tp74a1.jpeg.baeb20f9dd07370a5189c90b776cfc5d.jpeg

Pleasant surprise recently wrt games.

I'd recently put Beyond a Steel Sky back onto my PlayStation Store wishlist (anticipating a sale discount) having read an article in an Amiga mag article about it. I don't particularly like the art style but it comes recommended for RPG gameplay etc. Anyway, having booted up the MacBook Air (which doesn't get a great deal of usage) to facilitate renewing Dad's Senior Railcard I noticed I already have BaSS on that hardware, more than likely gratis from the Apple Game Store!

The recent enjoyment playing Sonic for free on the Xperia and realising what I have on the MacBook is a reminder to not necessarily rely on Sony for a gaming fix, and maybe I need to fire up that Apple kit more often!

C6T.

• 2 weeks later...

You may wish to ensure your oral cavity is free of projectile foodstuffs before reading further...well I have warned you.

So the GTA Definitive Trilogy was released to near uniform derision by those that recognised it as a lazy assed port of mobile code with some turd polish applied.

Having no desire to spend any money on it, the Vice City part was then made available on PlayStation Plus Extra, of which I have a subscription. I tucked that away in my library to play another day, I'm not paying for it directly as such after all but I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Anyway, inclusion on Extra isn't permanent apparently, as AC: Valhalla demonstrated. I have subsequently been able to pick up Ubisoft's Viking axe-em-up with a considerable PS Store discount.

Imagine my incredulity then when the previously available as part of a subscription package GTA: Vice City came with this price:

186932f0c7f22-screenshotUrl.jpg.119e5d6472b1f6a267fb84b59985d4ea.jpg

Yup, a penny shy of ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FOUR of your English pounds. That's just Vice City remember.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

That’s ridiculous even by their standards!

I got frustrated with the half arsed port of San Andrass when it was on game pass, never actually finished it this time round.   And then they go and decide on the back of the poor performance to can any future ‘remakes’ including the RDR redo pulling it into the RDR2 engine (which would have been amazing)

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

You actual what?!

Incredulous of The Mearns.

It's literally unbelievable arrogance on their part to even ask that much.

From a marketing point of view, they either have utter contempt for the potential customer or are fantastically detached from what their product is worth.

C6T.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The Vice City part of the Definitive Collection appears to be unavailable separately via Playstation Store now. The bundle is up for 55 quid though.

I'm a nope. C6T.

There was a fan made remaster of the 3 games, but 2K/Rockstar got that shutdown... if you look in the right places you can probably find it still and it is reportedly better than the official version, even though they never finished it. Apparantly they're working on a decompilation of it, like people have for Mario 64 and others, which 2k/Rockstar wouldn't be able to shutdown from what I understand.

My favoured watering hole very recently has had a ROM cabinet installed, here's the beast:

DSC_0007.JPG.a6a5026b7c5816f8d76e4cd404f53f5a.JPG

Disregard the branding, it isn't an actual Capcom job.

I was kinda consulted on games that should be included. And to be fair there's enough enjoyment to be had from the approximate 1300 titles installed.

But I think I know games whilst the fella that put it together probably knows the tech involved.

Top of my wishlist was OG arcade Mr. Do! I was told this had been installed but perusal of the menu reveals a couple of Mr. Do sequels, neither of which scratch the itch.

Is anyone that frequents the Lounge familiar enough with MAME or ROMs onto Raspberry Pi or the like able to suggest where to get legal licensed ROMs? Specifically Mr. Do! (or a decent clone!)

C6T.

• Like 1

Oh and I had a go at the demo of...um I'm saying Like a Dragon Inshin! (?) A Sega entry to the Yakuza franchise.

Hey, it's a free demo, nothing to lose. It's specifically a "combat demo". A showcase for how fighting works within the game.

Yuh, so when I saw "recommended" moves involved multiple shape button presses, I immediately saw where this was going.

Inevitably my on screen hero died. Probably cursing the aged berk that can't press triangle, square, X and circle a thousand times a second. Sorry dude.

I uninstalled shortly after. The end.

C6T.

On 28/02/2023 at 23:33, Classsix T said:

My favoured watering hole very recently has had a ROM cabinet installed, here's the beast:

DSC_0007.JPG.a6a5026b7c5816f8d76e4cd404f53f5a.JPG

Disregard the branding, it isn't an actual Capcom job.

I was kinda consulted on games that should be included. And to be fair there's enough enjoyment to be had from the approximate 1300 titles installed.

But I think I know games whilst the fella that put it together probably knows the tech involved.

Top of my wishlist was OG arcade Mr. Do! I was told this had been installed but perusal of the menu reveals a couple of Mr. Do sequels, neither of which scratch the itch.

Is anyone that frequents the Lounge familiar enough with MAME or ROMs onto Raspberry Pi or the like able to suggest where to get legal licensed ROMs? Specifically Mr. Do! (or a decent clone!)

C6T

Hmm. Clones are sh!t.

There's two versions of Asteroids installed, neither of which are very good. One adds all sorts of additional stuff to shoot at.

T'other is an Italian made and makes a decent fist of it but then ruins the experience by making the smallest 'roids (lol) speedy .

Paid for Atari still the go to game imo.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Classsix T said:

A game I know Reorte was looking forward to. Early access sure, but charging for it, like getting punters to playtest your title? Not sure I'm on board with how this is going:

https://www.eurogamer.net/kerbal-space-program-2-player-count-has-already-dropped-below-first-game

Yep, rather disappointing how it's turning out so far. Charging for something like this is OK I suppose if you're not charging absolute full price, yet that's what's been charged for. And it's not even in a state where it's ready for early access. There are some fairly basic, fundamental issues.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Lance Reddick, who's best known to me as Sylens in the Horizon games but has an impressive CV beyond that:

https://kotaku.com/destiny-lance-reddick-titan-commander-zavala-guardian-1850238899

Unknown if Mr. Reddick finished or indeed is involved in the dlc expansion for Forbidden West which is due out soon, but my thoughts are with his family and I'm grateful for being aware and appreciative of his work on a franchise I adore.

C6T.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've mentioned previously that I'm not a particular fan of Soulsborne hack & slash titles. Ridiculously overbearing boss fights and the like never held much interest for me.

However, this game caught my eye at the weekend whilst browsing the PSStore:

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-new-lords-of-the-fallen-takes-aim-at-elden-rings-massive-soulslike-success

It looks absolutely stunning, indeed I had a glance at the Elden Ring trailer afterwards and it knocks it for six visually.

Hopefully there'll be some sort of demo available to help me decide whether it's worth forking out for.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing Fortnite (so no surprises there then) but I am in Poitiers, France, and there is a "Geek" bar there. Beer, drinks, cocktails, and 10 PCs maxed out for gaming.

(La taverner du geek)

If you drink, you play for free.

On the second night, (tonight), I had a small audience watching the "old man" play!

(Yesterday, they would have seen me win, but today I only managed one 2nd, a few top tens and a couple of howlers!

A good evening all the same.

Kev.

(Typo - Fee to Free)

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That does look good, but I am always wary of good looking backgrounds with not interaction.

Maybe that was just a 80s thing!

Kev.

13 minutes ago, SHMD said:

That does look good, but I am always wary of good looking backgrounds with not interaction.

Maybe that was just a 80s thing!

Kev.

No, I think you're right Kev. A good looking game doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a good game. However the Devs do seem to be on top of what will make an enjoyable player experience. But we shall see.

As I say, I shall be expecting a demo before I lay any money down.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

I am trialling a controller repair service.

My most recent controller is drifiting so sending my favourite off for a repair.

Then my previous, then my most recent.

And not buying a PS5 until there is a multi year guarantee on the controllers.

Despite it being totally the wrong thing to do...I did pre-order the Horizon Forbidden West dlc expansion, and it's clock is ticking down.

Nine days after, the further adventures of Cal Kestis is released in SW Jedi: Survivor. Were I not childishly obsessed with the more adventures with robot dinosaurs I might have bought both day one.

And I'm not kidding, Respawn's follow up Star Wars title does make me salivate:

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-jedi-survivor-gameplay-release-date-1850293569

However, my tight wad nature has me thinking...if by the time I've finished with Aloy, and if the Star Wars game has reduced in price by £16...I've had the Horizon expansion free, right!?

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2023 at 11:48, MJI said:

I am trialling a controller repair service.

My most recent controller is drifiting so sending my favourite off for a repair.

Then my previous, then my most recent.

And not buying a PS5 until there is a multi year guarantee on the controllers.

I'm extrapolating and assuming this is a PS4 bat? If so I have a drifter too, only a year out from purchase too. Makes those long putts on PGA a tad jaunty so would be interested to hear how you get on and, if positive, details of your chosen repairer...

Best

Scott. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, scottystitch said:

I'm extrapolating and assuming this is a PS4 bat? If so I have a drifter too, only a year out from purchase too. Makes those long putts on PGA a tad jaunty so would be interested to hear how you get on and, if positive, details of your chosen repairer...

Best

Scott. 

It seems OK

https://www.customcontrollers.com/products/custom-controllers-ps4-repair-service-stick-drift-analogue-repair-replace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2023 at 22:52, Classsix T said:

Despite it being totally the wrong thing to do...I did pre-order the Horizon Forbidden West dlc expansion, and it's clock is ticking down.

Nine days after, the further adventures of Cal Kestis is released in SW Jedi: Survivor. Were I not childishly obsessed with the more adventures with robot dinosaurs I might have bought both day one.

And I'm not kidding, Respawn's follow up Star Wars title does make me salivate:

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-jedi-survivor-gameplay-release-date-1850293569

However, my tight wad nature has me thinking...if by the time I've finished with Aloy, and if the Star Wars game has reduced in price by £16...I've had the Horizon expansion free, right!?

C6T.

Five days to go for the Burning Shores dlc to drop, and I'm probably more giddy about it than a 50yo fella has a right to be.

Pre-ordering has apparently given me access to a new weapon and cosmetics, and I thus am excited and at the same time disgusted with myself at the prospect of new gear for my digital dolly.

Meh, the Devs own Insta reveal shows Aloy to be even more badass, so it's still cooler than when I needed to change Action Man's outfit and come up with my own scenarios back in the day.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cq-YYckgmQw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

C6T.