The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

The First Descendant is now in the games available to wishlist part of the PSStore. It looks like they're going down the F2P road, which I half expected.

18b01b42d6789-screenshotUrl.jpg.b172b0a02a9fb83bf0cc0552865a73b5.jpg

Will see how much of the game is behind paywalls, if it's mtx-ed to hell I can ditch it for no outlay. Although even if I spent £60 irl money on it I still might think it vfm.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
wrong screenshot
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, SHMD said:

What's "mtx-ed" mean?

(The rest I understood - like Fortnite but with a different map/scenarios.)

Kev.

Microtransactions. There's all sorts of in-game materials needed for crafting etc. Any of which might be sold for irl cash.

C6T.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Pathetic.

If i was in charge of one of these companies they would have a synthetic fuel ready to go, using sewage as a growth medium

The refreshed model PS5 has broken cover...I must admit it does have some aesthetic design flourishes I like the look of.

My own (second PS5, if you've been paying attention) needn't fear replacement though. Partly because I have yet to ascertain how internal installed memory works on the new model.

To recap, release model comes with 825Gb installed memory with an additional expansion bay to take one SSD. The new model will have 1Tb onboard but the comments on Eurogamer suggest it might not have a separate expansion bay, instead it's a proprietary solution, more than likely swappable with a larger SSD as the user sees fit.

If that's true then the release version of PS5 will always have an 800Gb advantage of installed memory - purely by the fact it can't be removed?

C6T.

Although the new model surely has to have a modicum of hardwired memory in it to carry the OS doesn't it, even if it's just an appropriately sized flash card on the motherboard? The PS5 OS takes up around 200Gb iirc.

You don't make a piece of hardware where user replacement of memory removes the vital code!?

Edited by Classsix T
Expansion of post

11 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Storage, not memory.

If the new model has a proprietary only expansion it might be that it's only possible to replace it with another proprietary drive with the OS on it. Just guessing.

No you're quite right and I'm scolding myself for not using the correct terminology.

I'm guessing the 1Tb onboard the new model PS5 is expandable storage and they've done away with the expansion slot. To cater for the OS etc. have placed a 200Gb flashdrive on the motherboard?

No doubt Digital Foundry have their screwdrivers at the ready to rip one apart.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

I'm guessing the 1Tb onboard the new model PS5 is expandable storage and they've done away with the expansion slot. To cater for the OS etc. have placed a 200Gb flashdrive on the motherboard?

That sounds plausible, and has the advantage that the entire rest of the storage is free for whatever you want to fill it with.

Edited by Reorte

With no GT7 races I'm interested in entering atm and Lords of the Fallen not being quite the game I'd hoped I have been continuing A Plague Tale: Requiem. A bit grim at times but away from the titular plagues, it is a very pretty game.

18b2aaa030183-screenshotUrl.jpg.b36881620f4aa9eac78fcc8de2f918b1.jpg

18b2aaa872731-screenshotUrl.jpg.86c233e6f85d8ef13028c252849fc002.jpg

18b2aaac19a90-screenshotUrl.jpg.dc6504a8d52566d082ba4b0fb9839436.jpg

18b2aaae51772-screenshotUrl.jpg.1f42db9eef40f989169a2ef71a22ab9e.jpg

18b2aab186d72-screenshotUrl.jpg.0fd9868dec85e05561249b3d942e41a7.jpg

• Like 1

I've just made the jump to a Series X, a combination of vouchers for my birthday and an Amazon sale last week meant I netted it for sub £400. 

I've only played RDR 2 on it so far, but the in console 4K upscaling of the Xbox One game makes it look pretty special. Sadly these screenshots have had to be shrunk pretty heavily to fit on one post, but it's still a pretty nice looking game.

1b8844d3-3412-4c93-a810-415eb836aa49_copy_1472x828.png.e64cd1f377e2ee4129e81f901002f3e1.png

8d274723-33d3-44ab-8fae-7b66ba198165_copy_1665x936.png.f03509feb0bfcdee920c625b5fdcde45.png

9875292e-60e5-4b08-99c3-d643e608acff_copy_1809x1017.png.4f549e292807aaa12af3ebea04879655.png

7e337f01-645d-4f07-960b-82af81848894_copy_1809x1017.png.d7342456c1b5aa2e357c51b4f98c4df3.png

The upcoming WRC game is what made me feel the need to upgrade, as its the first current gen only game that I've really been interested in.

Jo

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

The upcoming WRC game is what made me feel the need to upgrade, as its the first current gen only game that I've really been interested in.

I've got my eye on it, it sounds pretty decent from what I've heard so far, but I'll have to wait until VR support is available (and performs decently).

• Like 1

Finished A Plague Tale: Requiem at the weekend, good game. Probably seen the last of Amicia and Hugo from Asobo given the ending... but then they did that film trope of a scene after the credits. Which might be just a knowing 'wink' thing!

Later on I decided to have a look at Outriders, available to me as part of PS+ Extra.

A Squenix published 3vE third-person cover loot shooter, it's obvious from the codex's (codecies?!) that a lot of effort has gone into world building in it. Unfortunately for reasons I have yet to fathom the gunplay feels disconnected from the this player. As a 2020 release I really did think this might play better than it does but honestly any of the latter Mass Effect titles feel better to play. Indeed, The Last Descendant is a joy, even without its own cover mechanic.

The underlying story too doesn't depart vastly from what has gone before. We've shagged Earth so seek a new planet to inhabit, but uh-oh, there's this weird 'anomaly'...yadda yadda. Although in this instance the planet was doing alright with regular occurrence of the anomaly...until Earth bods turn up...ghnn!

I'll give it some more time, it's not an awful game. But it's occupation of my attention is very much limited until a game that grabs me comes along!

C6T.

Having spent a little longer with Outriders I realise I may have been a little harsh in my initial criticism of it.

I maintain that the controls are somewhat "woolly" (I keep meaning to have a look in options to maybe turn down the stick sensitivity) but it's growing on me. I'm dying less, so there's something!

The story has taken an interesting turn too.

Don't think I'd pay full price for it but maybe worth a look if available via a subscription. If it does come off PS+ Extra before I finish it I'd probably look out for it on sale.

Having said that, trying team matching was a bust so try to persuade two mates to get it as well for reliable co-op!

C6T.

Another always online game goes the way of the dodo. Judging by the article it would seem the studio aimed way above what they were capable of delivering:

https://www.eurogamer.net/servers-for-online-dino-shooter-second-extinction-to-shut-down-next-year

The games-as-a-service big hitters, Fortnight, Overwatch etc. obviously needn't fret. But I do wonder if smaller publishers will now think harder on how they bring a game to market. Obviously I'm thinking about The First Descendant, but from what I could tell the beta was well populated and it is taunted as F2P so the players don't necessarily need to feel cheated if the game is folded (unless they spend irl money on it).

GT7 is always online, for reasons I'm not sure of, but that's a Sony stalwart and won't be going anywhere, similarly Destiny I guess.

Outriders too I believe is quintessentially always online but I'm not sure how much is possible to do offline.

C6T.

• Informative/Useful 1

Topic adjacent to my last post, it's been brought to my attention that the servers for Gran Turismo Sport will be switched off at the end of January next year:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-end-of-life-20230929/

The game isn't entirely dependent on a network connection to play (aside from the Daily Races, Lobbies etc.) but it's been suggested that it'd be wise to save any in-game liveries, replays, Scapes pics etc. to a user side solution.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of gran turismo, it remains the one game I miss after making the switch from Sony to Microsoft.  I’ve been playing the recently released latest Forza Motorsport the past few evenings and it’s just not as good.   (Of course it probably doesn’t help that my memory of playing GT4? On ps3 had the benefit of using a full steering wheel / clutch and 6 speed box that I sold off just before Covid.)

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Speaking of gran turismo, it remains the one game I miss after making the switch from Sony to Microsoft.  I’ve been playing the recently released latest Forza Motorsport the past few evenings and it’s just not as good.   (Of course it probably doesn’t help that my memory of playing GT4? On ps3 had the benefit of using a full steering wheel / clutch and 6 speed box that I sold off just before Covid.)

After the hell MS have caused me through the years I am happy to not buy any of their consoles.

The have really messed a lot of us around professionally with very dodgy techniques to knock out better competitiors.

I am a developer and quite a lot of time is spent dealing with changes forced by them. To be honest I am looking forwards to retirement to get away from them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I must admit, Gran Turismo is one of the franchises that got me onboard and has kept me brand loyal to team Sony.

There are annoyances with it, but we just roll our eyes in Kaz's general direction and carry on!

C6T.