Help me out please, Guys.....Now "Circular (Roundy-roundy) layouts"

Daniel - I suddenly remembered a trackplan that I did away back, which was a roundy-roundy, circular layout, with a short chubby person sat in the middle of it - I believe it is on a CD of XTrkCad plans - so I went to look ,in the hopes of taking up your challenge - needless to say the CD has 284 files on it and I can't remember what I called it - if I come across it I'll post it - but don't hold your breath - you'll be VERY red in the face if you do!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

For those who want to extract the not-very-large-not-very-large and tax my ancient little grey cells almost to destruction, I had a sudden idea and looked at Carendt .com - and google - with some success - so here it is - the proof that Shortliner HAS designed a multiple roundy-roundy lies on page 95. Challenge accepted!

post-6688-0-57230300-1526218328_thumb.jpg

It is a bit difficult to see, but in the "hidden sidings/rock face"area there is another curved turnout - in the original drawaing there wwas an xxx.a drawing with a connecting track via a tunnel-mouth joining the outside track with another curved point.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Couldn’t find anything like that on page 95 (leastways,not with your name on it) but I did come across this on page 104:

bronxyard.jpg

Edited by Regularity

Well done Simon, I'd forgotten that trackplan - there is also East 149th Street Bronx yard http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/25093-erie-rr-east-149th-street-“harlem-station”/(although that isn't a complete circle) - you may find that more easily on RMWeb -

The one I posted above is (AFAIR) 4 up from the bottom of the page Very small with a photo beside it

Edited by shortliner

It's certainly inspiring me. :)

I'm having a full afternoon of layout planning. Not a lot else to be doing at work to be honest!

Added a suggestion in the other thread - My inspiration!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

One of Peter North's layouts also featured in a CM bonus DVD, I seem to recall the depot building was a converted boxcar. I always fancied seeing the layout post shortline era, clapped CF7 or smokin C420 Indiana HiRail style. As for circular plans I recall a plan of a real warehouse which featured several circles and some very complicated switches, an early 90's Great Model Railroad mag had a nice SP industrial with a couple of SW1500's for power.

Dear Bob,

Try Great Model Railroads 1995 page 56 "Night on the Docks" by Dave Nicastro. Interesting pic of Dave depicting what "eye height" benchwork looks like against a human on page 59...

...on relooking at this, I can't help but think I must have been channelling parts of this on B3AM...

Happy modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

There was a 4mm/OO "polo" layout like that at the Cradley Heath show a few years ago. The operators soon tired of the suggestion to make the train stationary, & the layout rotate under it. :mosking:

Might well have been Chris Gilbert named Beaver Falls - bought from a guy in Southampton ( Keith Addenbrooke???) and since sold on some time ago to a guy in the Welsh Borders Edited by shortliner

Just to make it a little clearer, I've marked the additional link in red- it probably needs to join the outside track a bit further anti clockwise to fit in with the geometry of the PECO curved turnouts

post-6688-0-28052400-1526313718_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortliner

Might well have been Chris Gilbert named Beaver Falls - bought from a guy in Southampton ( Keith Addenbrooke???) and since sold on some time ago to a guy in the Welsh Borders

No, found it:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66554-cradley-heath-mrc-ist-model-railway-exhibition/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1196418, it was called 'Little Brickhill', by Steve Kesterton. ;)

Prof Klyzlr, any idea if GMR 1995 is available digitally anywhere?

Thanks,

Dan

Theres a lot of archive stuff on the Model Railroader/Trains website, sadly this is only available to subscribers.

• RMweb Gold

Theres a lot of archive stuff on the Model Railroader/Trains website, sadly this is only available to subscribers.

Doesn’t include such things as GMR and MRP, just the monthly magazines.

Having access to every issue, ever, is worth the annual on-line subscription, though. It is a fantastic resource, and worth every penny.

Well done on the find, Jordan - but I'm 99% certain that that is a re-work of the original Keith Addenbrooke layout - The buildings and tanks are the same or very similar - oddly I'm sure that there was a picture of Keith sitting inside the original layout on RMweb, but I've no idea where Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's Kalmbach's major failing, IMO. They don't offer their books/annuals as digital back issues. :(

That's because they are not monthly periodicals.

I have MRP from 2012 onwards in digital format, because that's when they started providing it like that. Unlike the older magazine issues, these are not simple scans put into a document management tool, and to recreate them as true digital editions would be quite costly.

I say that with regret as well as understanding, as I would happily buy (finances permitting!) all those previous issues in digital format - I can download them and read them even when offline, but they will always be there on my account, unlike the back issue magazines which are only there whilst I subscribe. (The ones that were released during my subscription will remain available to me.)

This is still streets ahead of Railway Modeller, which although it has a better interface doesn't have the back catalogue available.

And MRJ, which has only relatively recently adopted that 1971 technology called email...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just flagging up, there’s a good article by Peter North in the August 2018 Continental Modeller. A line which he’s made more recently, that I’ve been unaware of, doing the exhibition circuit. HO Rock Island in the prairies, Chica, Illinois. An oval 5’ x 4’, front half scenicked, back half fiddle.

• Like 1