Help me out please, Guys.....Now "Circular (Roundy-roundy) layouts"

I'm trying to remember the name of the builder of a series of small, back-country, frequently roundy-roundy, layouts, all named for his daughters - like "Rosa, Illinois". I hate it when this happens!  The layouts have appeared in CM.

Edited by shortliner

Did Peter ever finish his Virginian layout?

I've always been a fan of his.

There's another gentleman with similar artistic style over on the railroad line forum who does some truly inspiring small layouts.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll post links if anyone is interested?

Did Peter ever finish his Virginian layout?

I've always been a fan of his.

There's another gentleman with similar artistic style over on the railroad line forum who does some truly inspiring small layouts.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll post links if anyone is interested?

The Virginian layout now resides in the North East of England, although I don't think it's new owner has exhibited it yet.

I'd be interested in seeing similar work to Peter North, since the original query has been answered I can't see any harm in going off-topic.

• RMweb Gold

I met Peter briefly three times. First with one of his layouts at the Twickenham show - probably Hope, Illinois. The second time was in Victor's shop near KX. The third time was on the K&ESR, when I concluded the child with him was probably Florence, their adopted orphan, herself the name of a layout.  

Inspired by that thread, I looked out my collection of Peter North's articles in CM recently for a re-read.

"Hope, Illinois" remains my favourite of them, possibly because it was the first and 'broke the mold', but "Foster, Illinois" runs a close second, only partly due to it sharing my surname :sungum:  (funny name for a girl, though!!?? :mosking: )

Signed, Jordan Illinois :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by that thread, I looked out my collection of Peter North's articles in CM recently for a re-read.

"Hope, Illinois" remains my favourite of them, possibly because it was the first and 'broke the mold', but "Foster, Illinois" runs a close second, only partly due to it sharing my surname :sungum:  (funny name for a girl, though!!?? :mosking: )

Signed, Jordan Illinois :jester:

I too have a series of such articles saved from CM etc..some of the few..

The Virginian layout now resides in the North East of England, although I don't think it's new owner has exhibited it yet.

I'd be interested in seeing similar work to Peter North, since the original query has been answered I can't see any harm in going off-topic.

Does anyone have any links to photographs of the Virginian layout? As an avid fan of Appalachian coal hauling railroads, I'd love to see what a master like Peter could do on the subject. :)

Regarding the similar work, the gentleman's name is Kumar, and this is the thread link to his incredible layout:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45630

• Like 1

Daniel, feel free to hi-jack - always interested to see great layouts, and to bring them to the attention of others - Speaking of which - for anyone who has access to Train Orders.com a very nice, small-ish switching layout popped up this morning  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4550827 , very much in the style of those previously mentioned and a certain lorry driving, midland gent will be interested 'cos it features a three letter, red/white/black loco .  I have sent him a PM and said he would be very welcome to post on here.

BTW, thanks for all the helpful replies to my memory hiccup!

Edited by shortliner

.... and a certain lorry driving, midland gent will be interested 'cos it features a three letter, red/white/black loco ...

:scratchhead: why Jack, who could that possibly be?? :dontknow: :no:

Mmmm... Grain hoppers, Elevator & silos :good: the whole layout is right up my street, as well as the loco!! :locomotive: Thanks for posting!

• RMweb Premium

I’m putting in some not to good shots I took of Peter North lines, as I always thought they looked great, both at Twickenham MRC dos at Richmond, Florence in 1995, Maria in 1999. Including a rear view of the fiddle yard for Florence, as you don’t usually get these in the Incontinental Modeller, and it might help you, Jack, if you’re thinking of doing an oval??post-26540-0-55265400-1526048411_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-10549800-1526048428_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-36919800-1526048442_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-93405100-1526048459_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-18982700-1526048484_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-06283200-1526048574_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-52498000-1526048604_thumb.jpegpost-26540-0-56899600-1526048640_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

:scratchhead: why Jack, who could that possibly be?? :dontknow: :no:

Mmmm... Grain hoppers, Elevator & silos :good: the whole layout is right up my street, as well as the loco!! :locomotive: Thanks for posting!

Gotta say that it is making my antennae twitch - Glad to see that it is working elsewhere too - I hope he thinks about joining us too!

I’m putting in some not to good shots I took of Peter North lines, as I always thought they looked great, both at Twickenham MRC dos at Richmond, Florence in 1995, Maria in 1999. Including a rear view of the fiddle yard for Florence, as you don’t usually get these in the Incontinental Modeller, and it might help you, Jack, if you’re thinking of doing an oval??attachicon.gif1297BFD9-470A-4237-87F4-0A0951D5E646.jpegattachicon.gifB9724E9C-3F1E-415A-BA87-271E33F15BA3.jpegattachicon.gif99F199A4-58DD-44C5-B5F8-A46053B44FD0.jpegattachicon.gifB5A02E9C-26A6-4837-8A85-2D58C2346C10.jpegattachicon.gif5A3CCF3A-3417-4DB3-BA53-BA2321B1061C.jpegattachicon.gif2FB3D739-5BD3-413B-82FC-7CD621015FF4.jpegattachicon.gifD95FBD11-A99D-4FA9-AF38-FECDAC1D6D9B.jpegattachicon.gif08B12939-AEB8-43A9-949A-E6E9F8F33FB3.jpeg

Northroader - thanks for those - actually I'm still avoiding roundy-roundys! - I had a query from a friend in the same general area as our Soo-line friend, who asked if I could remember the roundy-layouts and I knew exactly which ones he was talking about - but couldn't, for the life of me, think what the name of the builder was - so eventually I gave in, accepted that my brain had had a hiccup, and asked - it's one of the unfortunate problems of getting older!  The little grey cells get tired, and need a bit of assistance!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I dunno, it makes it look a bit folksier? “Oh, the farmer and and the cowboy should be pals!” sort of thing, and the red and white could stand for the Rock of those days just as much as a certain other line in later days. You had me going, Jack, thought there was a scoop there: “SHORTLINER DESIGNS A 6x4 OVAL!!!!”

Re Post#12 on this thread  - Hopefully we will soon have a new member

Re: Re your switching layout

To: shortliner

05/12/18 21:37

shortliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would be VERY welcome on RMweb with that
> switching layout - this is the section to put it
> in -
> http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/
> 155-usa-canadian-railroads/ . That is a very nice
> layout.
> Best
> Jack

Thank you Jack! Just took a peek at the link, some mighty fine modeling posted. Would be honored in their company.

Noah

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Actually... that I'd like to see. Get Jack out of his comfort zone and see what masterpiece of a trackplan he could come up with.

Challenge made! ;)

Sorry Daniel, I don't think it will be taken up - Roundy-roundys just don't interest me - I get bored very quickly with things going round in circles, even in childhood I could never see any attractions in funfair roundabouts, which other kids loved - Psychologists call it " Having a low boredom threshold". Watching switching can hold my attention for ages, where things are being moved backwards and forwards for a reason .

One that I did like way back, which was a combination of the two, was in MR, called "Conrail's Hallsville, Pa., interchange" (MR Oct 1995)

An Englishman combines a great American prototype with the British fiddle yard concept on a 4 x 8-foot HO layout by Nick Palette (of Armitage fame)  Note the board was cut and re-assembled from a 4x6 sheet of ply (clever!)

post-6688-0-59823300-1526198982.jpg

Note that starting with a 4x8 board and doing the cut and re-assemble trick, if you had the room the board could have been 4 x 12 and had more industries and staging - Possibilities for an exhibition layout?

Edited by shortliner

Sorry Daniel, I don't think it will be taken up - Roundy-roundys just don't interest me - I get bored very quickly with things going round in circles -

The beauty of Peter's layouts was that they were an oval, but didn't appear to be as they were operated slowly and not at a pace that would make a Goldfish bored. Even the obviously sharp curves looked like they were there for a reason. And being American with Kadee's they were hands off, a concept that is still new to some audiences.

As a Traction modeller I am certainly thinking of similar design ideas for another YVT layout, as it allows something with trolley poles to run through a scene or stop and do some occasional switching without faffing about changing direction.

• Like 2

Andy - I can see the attraction of Peters layouts, and anything being run from farther down the line, into/through the scene, doing some switching, and then on to farther up the line, possibly interspersed with something coming the other way( preferably on a single track) - what bores me to death is the same train, tearing round and round the same main line, with 40 cars on it, at 100 mph for half an hour while the operators sit at the back telling each other their life-stories and drinking tea, and maybe one bored operator driving a shunting loco, moving at 60mph, doing 30G stop and starts banging stock about randomly!

Edited by shortliner