Help me out please, Guys.....Now "Circular (Roundy-roundy) layouts"

Peter North's latest layout in Continental Modeller is very much in the style of his previous layouts, but none the worse for it.

The level of detail is fantastic. The layout is due to appear at the Uckfield show in 2019 and Warley in 2020.

Would love to see some prototype photos and maps just to get a better feel of how the real railway actually worked - there is a part of me that thinks the running down the street is right, although there are other threads on this forum to show it does happen.  

Nick

• Like 1

Peter North's latest layout in Continental Modeller is very much in the style of his previous layouts, but none the worse for it.

The level of detail is fantastic. The layout is due to appear at the Uckfield show in 2019 and Warley in 2020.

Would love to see some prototype photos and maps just to get a better feel of how the real railway actually worked - there is a part of me that thinks the running down the street is right, although there are other threads on this forum to show it does happen.  

Nick

For street running, USA style, see this Thread for 12 pages of prototype inspiration ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55031-street-running-in-the-usa-or-canada/

Uckfield is always worth a visit, if you can make it.

It isn't local to me, but I was finally able to take a layout there last year.

Apart from a willing club and exhibition manager with a reputation for organising such a quality event in a town with a suitable venue close to a car park and railway station (and the provided accommodation), why can't more shows be like Uckfield?

• RMweb Gold

It isn't local to me, but I was finally able to take a layout there last year.

I know. I finally got to see your layout!

Apart from a willing club and exhibition manager with a reputation for organising such a quality event in a town with a suitable venue close to a car park and railway station (and the provided accommodation), why can't more shows be like Uckfield?

You get a reputation for organising a quality event by doing it. That starts with the club supporting the exhibition manager in putting on a show that treats railway modelling as an adult hobby. All you then need, is a sense of humour and good manners, both of which Adrian has in spades!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Might well have been Chris Gilbert named Beaver Falls - bought from a guy in Southampton ( Keith Addenbrooke???) and since sold on some time ago to a guy in the Welsh Borders

Sorry I couldn't add a clarification when this topic was running in May* but the mystery layout builder wasn't me - although Shortliner was kind enough to provide a link to some ideas I did develop with Carl Arendt 15+ years ago.  My contribution was really mathematical / theoretical / just for fun: 

I realised it is possible to fit a double-track continuous run layout in OO/HO using standard track components on a baseboard not exceeding 4 sq. ft. (Carl's limit for a micro).  It's all in the maths: cut a hole radius 13.5" into a circular baseboard of radius 19.1" and you're cutting a hole with an area of 4 sq. ft. into a board with an area of 8 sq. ft, so the remaining doughnut / donut must also have an area of 4 sq. ft, onto which a double track circle of standard Peco / Hornby 1st and 2nd radius track will fit.

Carl thought we could improve the idea so used Roco track components and an off-centre hole to create a track plan to which I then added a couple of scenic / operating suggestions he felt were good enough to publish.  Of course, 1st radius curves (and equivalent) aren't really suitable for modern r-t-r stock, and I never actually tried to build the layout (or climb into the hole), but it's nice to know the idea still resonates.  Keith.

* I only signed up to join RM Web this past week

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn’t find anything like that on page 95 (leastways,not with your name on it) but I did come across this on page 104:

bronxyard.jpg

I don't know what is happening with it, Tim appears to have had all sorts of issues (ex wife, then business I'd guess...), but http://www.bronx-terminal.com/ is  the web site for ^.  Of course, you have to be mad as a hatter to try making the switch leading into the engine shed DSC_0653.jpg

There's more info somewhere on the web page about it, but in real life, the tracks went through the middle of that turnout, with lift out sections.

James

• Like 1