Freedom of North West Rover

• RMweb Gold

Having decided on a few days off work in August I'm going to take advantage of the great value that Rail Rover tickets offer and make use of the Freedom of North West Rover ticket. I did something similar a couple of years ago with the North East version.

The sleeper will deposit me at Preston in the wee small hour of 0433, and henceforth I shall have four full days to explore the routes and sights of North West England.

Based on local knowledge of my learned RMWeb acquaintances, are there any "must dos" or "must goes" in the area? I intend to enjoy the S&C in it's entirety and a trip on the Ravenglass railway is planned for the final day, in concert with a loco hauled trip around the Cumbria coast. 

What else would folks recommend in the way of highlights? I'd like to spend at least an afternoon/morning photographing freight movements, so any pointers there?

Many thanks

Scotty

PS. Illustration of the validity of the ticket here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/promotions/Freedom_of_North_West.pdf

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly recommend a Pendelino run over Shap.  It's fun at speed especially round the Lune gorge area. As to freight I'm not sure where to recommend as you will be without a car but Lancaster and carnforth are both good as you get most of the Nuclear moves to and from Sellafield and there are reasonable vantage points on the stations.   For rare trackage there is the once a day working to Heysham Harbour and the northbound working from Morecambe around 4.30pm which goes over the chord from Bare Lane to Hest Bank.  Hellifield is a good spot and has an excellent café 

Jamie

Carlisle station as the freight pass through.

If they haven't changed the map since I did it at the south side of the triangular area you can get from Leeds to Liverpool but not through Stanedge ie the LNWR line through Huddersfield. In Leeds you have the Middleton Railway (see link below for times) and at Keighley the Worth Valley (in August steam daily on the valley). Embsay near Skipton is impossible as the buses from Skipton ceased a while back. East Lancashire at Bury, would need to use the Metrolink from Victoria.

When I did it they were full week tickets.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure whether you'd want to spend the time it needs to do it but on a nice day a trip along the Cumbrian coast line is well worth it as it is one of the undiscovered (or ignored) gems of the national rail network. In my opinion it is a much more scenic and interesting route than most more famous scenic routes.

• RMweb Gold

Carlisle station as the freight pass through.

If they haven't changed the map since I did it at the south side of the triangular area you can get from Leeds to Liverpool but not through Stanedge ie the LNWR line through Huddersfield. In Leeds you have the Middleton Railway (see link below for times) and at Keighley the Worth Valley (in August steam daily on the valley). Embsay near Skipton is impossible as the buses from Skipton ceased a while back. East Lancashire at Bury, would need to use the Metrolink from Victoria.

When I did it they were full week tickets.

There is an option; Either 4 days in 8 or 7 consecutive days, with the expected price differential.

Thanks for the tips.

Not sure whether you'd want to spend the time it needs to do it but on a nice day a trip along the Cumbrian coast line is well worth it as it is one of the undiscovered (or ignored) gems of the national rail network. In my opinion it is a much more scenic and interesting route than most more famous scenic routes.

Thanks. Already factored in, to coincide with the Ravenglass Railway.

• RMweb Gold

I would certainly recommend a Pendelino run over Shap.  It's fun at speed especially round the Lune gorge area. As to freight I'm not sure where to recommend as you will be without a car but Lancaster and carnforth are both good as you get most of the Nuclear moves to and from Sellafield and there are reasonable vantage points on the stations.   For rare trackage there is the once a day working to Heysham Harbour and the northbound working from Morecambe around 4.30pm which goes over the chord from Bare Lane to Hest Bank.  Hellifield is a good spot and has an excellent café 

Jamie

Thanks! I didn't realise the Heysham train was so restricted. I'll see if I can work it in.

The sleeper will deposit me at Preston in the wee small hour of 0433, and henceforth I shall have four full days to explore the routes and sights of North West England.

NB : Only valid from 08:45 Monday to Fridays.

NB : Only valid from 08:45 Monday to Fridays.

It may not be if you do the sleeper to Carlisle, valid north of Barrow on the coast all day I believe, might be worth a check! Kev.

• RMweb Gold

It may not be if you do the sleeper to Carlisle, valid north of Barrow on the coast all day I believe, might be worth a check! Kev.

I can't alight from the Sleeper at Carlisle, I'm pretty sure. The only options the ticket gave me was Preston and I think (Crewe)

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember which way round it is for sure, but one, the Lowlander(?) stops at Preston, the other, the Highlander(?) stops at Carlisle. But it may be pick up only! Kev.

I've already got my ticket, from Montrose (the Aberdeen Sleeper), so it's done now. But thanks for raising the issue. One to think about for the next time.

I can't remember which way round it is for sure, but one, the Lowlander(?) stops at Preston, the other, the Highlander(?) stops at Carlisle. But it may be pick up only! Kev.

O ye'll tak' the Highlander,

and I'll tak' the Lowlander,

And I'll be in Preston a'fore ye,

:jester: 

Speaking of Preston, the Ribble Steam Railway is worth a visit. Though might not fit in with your itinerary as it's only open at weekends.

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/

Jason

• RMweb Gold

That is a lovely co-incidence that you mention Ribble. At work today, we were discussing Rolls Royce' predeliction for naming their gas turbines after british rivers and lamenting that they hadn't had the mischievousness to name one after the Ribble. 

Rolls Royce Ribble.

If Edmund Blackadder had been in charge, perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

The Bentham line, Leeds to Lancaster/Morecombe or The Little North Western as it is known is worth a look at. Particularly the Hellifield to Lanaster section.

Could you fit it in with the S&C and WCML as part of a circular route?

• RMweb Gold

The Bentham line, Leeds to Lancaster/Morecombe or The Little North Western as it is known is worth a look at. Particularly the Hellifield to Lanaster section.

Could you fit it in with the S&C and WCML as part of a circular route?

That's certainly what I will try. Thanks.