Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jouef MK3 coach replacement wheelsets.

Hello all.

The wheel sets on my fleet of Jouef mark three coaches have developed an annoying habit of coming loose on their axles thus having very 'variable' gauges and derailing regularly after being trouble free for ages. Given they are not at all bad models for their age and I wish to keep running them, what would members recommend as suitable modern replacements that are a straight swap and free running? Part numbers appreciated :)

Hello all.

The wheel sets on my fleet of Jouef mark three coaches have developed an annoying habit of coming loose on their axles thus having very 'variable' gauges and derailing regularly after being trouble free for ages. Given they are not at all bad models for their age and I wish to keep running them, what would members recommend as suitable modern replacements that are a straight swap and free running? Part numbers appreciated :)

If I remember rightly, these had a totally non-standard axle length so your best bet will be to set the wheels to gauge and super-glue them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jouef, like Lima and other continental manufacturers, use a shoter axle length than the uk 'standard' 26mm over pin-points.

It one time, Alan Gibson produced shorter axles length for such stock, with a small selection of wheel types (12mm 3-hole disc, 12mm plain disc, 14mm plain disc) but I'm not sure if they are still in the AG range.

Alternately, most of the continental manufacturers sell their wheelsets as spares, I've certainly had them from Roco and Piko.

Suggest you drop a wheelset out and measure as accurately as possible the axle length and wheel diameter (over tread, NOT the flange, then a simple google search or search of the Roco/Piko/etc websites should provide some options.) I think there might even be some currently-produced UK-outline stock that has short axles, so spare closer to home might be available.

For a 4mm:ft model, you want 12mm disc wheels (either plain disc or, if available, air-braked disc) and the closest axle length.

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

Hi All,

As mentioned you could replace the wheels with Alan Gibson shorter 24.5mm axle which according to the spring 2018 catalogue are still available on special order - http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf I think these can be supplied with brake discs fitted.

I am working on a rake of 5 Jouef Mk3a coaches for a Scotrail push pull set and I replaced all my wheel sets with 12mm Hornby coach wheels product code R8096 (only because I had a stock already) and fitted Stenson models brake discs. As these Hornby wheels are on a longer 26mm axle I used a DCC concepts bearing reamer to open out the bearing pocket in the Jouef bogies, very simple and easy job.

Jonathan

It should be possible to fit new wheels to the Jouef axles, as I believe they are 2mm diameter. I am not familiar with their Mk III coaches, but normally Jouef wheels are 10.5mm diameter - rather underscale for the usual Continental dimension of 1 metre.

The simplest solution is to glue the wheels to the axle, but there may be problems sticking to the insulating bushes. (These have probably hardened and shrunk with age, causing the wheels to come loose on the axle.)

Hornby wheelsets have now reached exorbitant prices!  :O :(

Edited by Il Grifone

I've now sold them on so I can't check, but IIRC, I fitted R8096 Hornby coach wheels to mine and nearly all of them ran without any reaming out of axleboxes necessary. You might get away with a straight swap.

Edited by forest2807
  • Like 1

If I remember rightly, these had a totally non-standard axle length so your best bet will be to set the wheels to gauge and super-glue them.

That is what I actually did yesterday in the end. It did the trick. I then super-glued the whole rake as preventive maintenance!

According to the above site, Jouef axles are 25.4mm long (NMRA standard - 1"). Hornby axles used to be 26mm, but the last lot I acquired were slightly shorter.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only thing standard about model railway axles nowadays is that they'll be consistently different from your expectations !