Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold

16 May 2019

Great Moulton

66001, 755417, 755326 and 755418 on 5Q99, 03:43, Ripple Lane Exch Sdgs - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (08:23) - new unit delivery

DAS_0027.jpg.f0596d97ea5e2e58db3d7d4e70b72c42.jpg

DAS_0041.jpg.b51d1ca6538d1706a716936ed1b212f0.jpg

• Like 6

In my head I liked the imagined idea of the off balanced 3 car unit, I think I've just got so used to the pics of the car units though that it just looks a bit odd at the moment. The colour scheme through it is effective though.

Yup, pure leccy no good on the rural Norfolk and Suffolk branch lines. The biggest unit these are replacing is 3 car 170, the pictures in the previous pages already show that these will happily run in pairs if needed. The smallest 755 at 3 cars are a massive improvement on a single car 153. TBH it'll probably be rarer to see them pan up.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Yup, pure leccy no good on the rural Norfolk and Suffolk branch lines. The biggest unit these are replacing is 3 car 170, the pictures in the previous pages already show that these will happily run in pairs if needed. The smallest 755 at 3 cars are a massive improvement on a single car 153. TBH it'll probably be rarer to see them pan up.

On some branch services, there will be opportunities to run with the pan up. For example the Cambridge to Norwich run under the wires between Cambridge and Ely, and those from Ipswich to Cambridge / Peterborough can run on the juice up to Stowmarket. 

My understanding is that  branch trains from Noriwch would still depart as electrics even if for less than a 1 mile as there would still be benefits for passengers in terms of less noise and fumes at the station. 

Nick

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 18/05/2019 at 08:01, ess1uk said:

Are they fitted for auto pan up/down?

I don't believe they are, but as they have ETCS equipment, they could be made to use Packet 44 information.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, St. Simon said:

I don't believe they are, but as they have ETCS equipment, they could be made to use Packet 44 information.

Simon

Are they fitted already or just passive provision?

17 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

Are they fitted already or just passive provision?

I was under the impression that all the equipment was there, it was just waiting to be fully ‘turned on’

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Admittedly, I'm not as genned-up as I should be on these, but wasn't the Stansted branded unit a 745?

D'you know what? Save yourself the rigmarole of a reply, maybe I should just garner familiarity by reading the start of the thread!

C6T. 

Apologies, subsequently read Siggie's "for the GEML".

Edited by Classsix T

On 20/05/2019 at 22:24, St. Simon said:

I was under the impression that all the equipment was there, it was just waiting to be fully ‘turned on’

Simon

You would hope so with all new trains now

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ess1uk said:

You would hope so with all new trains now

Why? It is going to be years before the wayside ETCS infrastructure is in place everywhere. Onboard ETCS hardware will change (even if the interfaces don't). If you fit the kit now it will likely be obsolete by the time you need to turn it on. Unless you are sure that your new trains are going to be working over ETCS routes in the next 5 years I would save the money until it's needed.

For go anywhere locos (freight) it makes sense to be doing the fitments now, which is why it is happening, but for passenger trains confined to rural backwaters no sense at all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

One of the four section Bi-mode Bionic Bunnies made it to Sheringham to test the new platform, video courtesy of the Bittern Line Facebook Page.  They've also uploaded photos to the page as well.

https://www.facebook.com/bitternline/videos/619013791938134/

That's a very confident 'test' running in to the platform at that speed!  The 'flashing' headlight was interesting as well.

17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The 'flashing' headlight was interesting as well.

That's the problem with LED Headlamps, they tend to look like they flash when videoed due to the frequency of the LED and the frame rate of the camera being a little different.

In real life they don't flash.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The old one wasn't long enough.  I think they will have raised it too as the old one was built seemingly out of beer crates when they moved out of the MGNR station so they could close the level crossing in the late 60s.  They were intending at the time to shut the line and even published closure notices, so they didn't spend much on the station.  Trust me, that platform is a lot better and should mean level access is possible into a Bionic Bunny.

Nice to see it's long enough for a four section Bunny, I half expected the Sheringham line would get the three section units but I suspect it's been built to accommodate a four section unit for flexibility.  Some Summer Sunday services on the line would have a full and standing load up to Sheringham even on a two car 156 such has been the phenomenal growth in traffic.

• Informative/Useful 1

Some shots I took of the old platform at Sheringham. It may only have been intended as temporary, but looking at the construction and bearing in mind it lasted 50+ years, it's hardly beer crates. I reckon it would have lasted another 50. Yes, length was the main issue, but the width was a big restriction too. Loadings on certain trains could be quite heavy and entering and exiting the platform was an issue, especially if you add cycles, luggage etc into the equation. The ramp up to platform level on the new build seems to be in two parts to make it less steep and I'd guess the width is 50% greater. The whole thing is ugly as sin though...

post-17811-0-73698500-1486288364.jpg

post-17811-0-97947000-1486288365.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

First pair of 755s moved onto the Mid Norfolk Railway for warm storage today

Wymondham
29 May 2019
755413 and 755414 on 5Q61, 09:17, Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D - Mid-Norfolk Railway Siding (10:19) - for warm storage

DAS_0058.jpg.22c93cc7dc6c557e47f3b6275586198f.jpgDAS_0080.jpg.5dadddb459a8913835b64423aad6144c.jpgDAS_0110.jpg.d89d86628adb9c284da11d2d6f36b7f8.jpgDAS_0132.jpg.47900cb6ac53cd29a4b5ea3166f75e9c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1