Bilton Junction

Jon4470

• RMweb Premium

I too was surprised at the apparent acidity of ketchup, but then I eat pickled cucumbers, sauerkraut and so forth, so I suspect we humans can tolerate a fair level... 

Meanwhile, here's an emoji to satify your craving Jon: 🍟

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, CameronL said:

Suitably re-labelled as "etch cleaner" so SWMBO doesn't suspect that you're having sneaky bacon butties in the railway room.

A bacon butty would require brown sauce though.  🙂

• Agree 2

The weather was rubbish today…….which meant more modelling time🙂

The paint brushes were in use and the saloon is now a glorious mix of orange shades!

I also took the opportunity to paint up a driver figure for Barber. 

13F87221-6C82-4D9C-841E-86C9FB2643B9.jpeg.98c44e03b6d70c8f34acc2e9571e59f1.jpeg

6A0EADA0-89F4-4FC5-8756-C1D0BE608409.jpeg.09416d073e2f9cd842194a478341f909.jpeg

This is a modelu figure of a driver looking to the right. He’s just resting in place at the moment, until I decide that the painting is complete. 

I think that the figure really helps to complete this loco.

Unfortunately for him, I had to amputate one of his legs to get him to fit in the cab though!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

9 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

The weather was rubbish today…….which meant more modelling time🙂

The paint brushes were in use and the saloon is now a glorious mix of orange shades!

I also took the opportunity to paint up a driver figure for Barber. 

13F87221-6C82-4D9C-841E-86C9FB2643B9.jpeg.98c44e03b6d70c8f34acc2e9571e59f1.jpeg

This is a modelu figure of a driver looking to the right. He’s just resting in place at the moment, until I decide that the painting is complete. 

I think that the figure really helps to complete this loco.

Unfortunately for him, I had to amputate one of his legs to get him to fit in the cab though!

Oh wow that really brings it to life Jon, he best get his head in before heading down New Park tunnel or it won't just be his legs he's missing!

I'll be finally building mine soon now the nights are drawing in a bit, definitely much more like modelling weather now.

Great work as ever, looking forward to seeing your latest 'teaking' job.

All the best

James

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Oh wow that really brings it to life Jon, he best get his head in before heading down New Park tunnel or it won't just be his legs he's missing!

I'll be finally building mine soon now the nights are drawing in a bit, definitely much more like modelling weather now.

Great work as ever, looking forward to seeing your latest 'teaking' job.

All the best

James

Hi James

I must admit that putting a crew on a loco isn’t normally high on my priority list. However, I was (pleasantly)  surprised about how much difference adding the driver made to this loco.

I’m looking forward to seeing your version of Barber in due course.

For those who don’t know about the line….New Park tunnel was only 9ft tall and 8ft wide. This was the reason for the cut down cab with an escape hatch in the rear sheeting!  Despite the cab floor being dropped from the normal level it was still a tight squeeze to fit a driver. In fact, the preserved loco is now having a higher cab attached because of complaints and head bump accidents involving the modern day crew.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2022 at 20:03, Jon4470 said:

Excellent job Jon, the loco is looking superb and absolutely agree about the driver bringing it to life.

I never used to think of crew until I read remarks online about how odd it actually looks to see a loco running on a layout with an empty cab...

Turning back to the driver you've placed there... is it my imagination, or does he sport a beard not unlike your own? is, in fact, a very personal model? 😀 If so, he looks superb and what a great idea!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Turning back to the driver you've placed there... is it my imagination, or does he sport a beard not unlike your own? is, in fact, a very personal model? 😀 If so, he looks superb and what a great idea!!

The driver is just one from the stock list…..so, no, it isn’t actually me!

When it came to painting, though, I thought I’d just try with grey hair and beard…..probably the inspiration came from looking in the mirror and seeing some old bloke staring back at me🙂

The back story, that I’ve now invented, is that he must be an old timer as I don’t think beards were very popular with younger people in the 1930s.

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

The driver is just one from the stock list…..so, no, it isn’t actually me!

When it came to painting, though, I thought I’d just try with grey hair and beard…..probably the inspiration came from looking in the mirror and seeing some old bloke staring back at me🙂

The back story, that I’ve now invented, is that he must be an old timer as I don’t think beards were very popular with younger people in the 1930s.

Jon

Excellent - top notch backstory writing there Jon! I do think though that you must have been inspired - even if only subconsciously - by the mirror. I actually wondered whether you might have made use of the personalised scan service offered by Modelu and had yourself immortalised in resin.

Hm: 'immortalised in resin'. It doesn't quite have the grandeur of marble or stone, does it? Still good though... perhaps for Christmas? 🎅

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the saloon carriage.

I’ve made steady progress with the teak……and lining. In truth, I had hoped to have completed it all by now , but it is just too hot! (Firstly, I’m too hot and bothered to concentrate. Second reason is that I usually do my modelling in the evening….but the lining paint is drying out too quickly at this time of the day)

Anyhow this is the progress. 

Just the oil paint teak in place:

8159CF2F-B155-4D0D-B77A-5DAB865FEA27.jpeg.f299c30bd26fc4ef4829ce7d9f6412ec.jpeg

The next photo shows the carriage with a coat of gloss varnish. This starts to bring out the depth of the colours… and the variations between the panels

6DBC7ECA-4516-4A33-80A9-DA7AF6C55DDE.jpeg.7efa6de50444617bbbae093d3f63cc31.jpeg

Finally with lining (sorry the lighting is a bit darker)

0D5C94F6-8FAD-49B2-BC23-166C56929A0A.jpeg.37d6f7109d38ca2d7e9d11e36ddf16f6.jpeg

The other side of the carriage has some more lining to do, then the ends, then the touching in and weathering (light)

Jon

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice job Jon! thoroughly in agreement about the problems with the weather. I've got into the habit of doing any painting or varnishing - and especially lining - very early in the morning, but I realise that doesn't necessarily fit in with everyone's arrangements! 🙂

You're right too that the heat affects concentration and motivation...

• Like 2

Time for a small interlude……

At the weekend I re-discovered a war gaming board that I had started (years ago) for my son. He changed his mind and I put the board away ….. because it might come in useful 🙂

The board is actually a piece of insulation sheet (about 4ft by 2ft). I had attached a basic grass sheet to it but nothing else.

I decided it would make a useful practice board and, possibly, a reasonable photo plank.

I jumped in, cut some cork strip and glued down some track……how hard can that be? This is why I call it a practice board…..the cork isn’t cut neatly enough and the track isn’t great either! Never mind, I will sort those out and then ballast it. In the process I’ll learn how to do these things properly 🙂

Welcome to the flat earth society!

81B0BC08-645B-4E81-8178-DC25C63F29BB.jpeg.697783545d81b3c12e4da5302c0ab622.jpeg

I plan to try out some scenic ideas such as a lineside fence, some trees, a track, a barrow crossing etc Not too many though, so that I can use it to take photos.

I started to play around with colouring this…a barrow crossing kit

916A61F8-A24B-4FF7-8B3A-3B09D8FD57FB.jpeg.51ff7426761464d661439078bd1870c7.jpeg

I used oil paints in various ways and colours….

Freshly creosoted wood

2451F1B1-F831-48A7-B9C4-51351B32898B.jpeg.764eb7c8f6ee9fe495b21e3240ab757f.jpeg

This was Burnt Umber and Van Dyck Brown mixed and diluted into a wash

Next, some weathering was applied to the fresh “creosote “….

35677781-12AC-4308-978E-DE8744EC61F4.jpeg.f1abaa6d173d6f92ff3025ad6cec65e2.jpeg

This was a combination of a wash (black, white and grey) and some dry brushing with the same colours. Most of the paint applied was removed with a damp brush to let the browns through.

Finally, I tried the black, white and grey on the bare wood as supplied. This was to try to get a fully weathered look. Old wood does go grey after all……

508859CE-CF7D-4137-AEDA-7120BCF02AA3.jpeg.cfc1f2f8ffc894720397365b61a7e527.jpeg

I don’t think this works though. I think that the effect I want is closest to number two attempt…….but with more grey/white.

Jon

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since I posted. Mainly caused by plenty of things to do……but my modelling mojo seems to have also taken a late summer holiday!

I decided on a little project to ease my way back in. I have to say, though, this nearly started with a catastrophe!

In mid September the temperature suddenly dropped. Like many others (I suspect) I did not want to put the central heating on yet- so I lit an open fire. Soon had a good blaze going and it was drawing well…….then I went upstairs……and could smell smoke😟

I tracked the smell down to the loft hatch, opened it….and discovered a loft full of smoke! I could see it was coming out of the side of the chimney, so I quickly checked that it was just smoke and there was no fire. Ran downstairs, put out the fire, back upstairs to check smoke had stopped …..and breathed a sigh of relief. 

Anyway, back to the point, while in the loft I re-discovered this:

DA83B5A0-584C-4E2B-8EA8-E8C76121D0EA.jpeg.4d9821a91c194ac8f0808547c824d4d8.jpeg

A present that I bought for my son many moons ago.

Apart from the loco, inside there are a number of these:

243F6086-79E2-497C-B852-EA4E8148335E.jpeg.90d696ba563ef0b6e5119447103c2b40.jpeg

I’ve often wondered what they would look like with a re-paint…. And, indeed, I’ve seen a number of other people have a go at them.

I decided that this would make a simple project. There was to be no attempt at detailing. It would be a repaint only. The best case outcome was a usable carriage….worst case ( there wasn’t one because I’d never use them in original condition).

So, how did it turn out? You’ll have look at the next post because the pictures are too big for one post🙂

Jon

• Like 4

To carry on the story…..

The original carriage looks like this:

6DA78CE9-0481-4B7C-95FB-39D8C340C197.jpeg.cc59cbaa2f1e3de037307174fd36453d.jpeg

B57E0270-E28D-4B3D-9923-E772AF89C444.jpeg.03ef029dc29de6989e344bcbe2229afc.jpeg

These carriages have many shortcomings but, in my opinion, still manage to look like a Gresley carriage. Putting right all the problems would take a long time- it would be quicker to build a new kit I think. The question then becomes how far to go? 

As I mentioned, in the previous post, I decided to repaint only…..and then see what the carriage looked like. As I took the carriage apart I discovered that the wheels are actually wagon wheels! So, they did get changed to coach wheels. This was the only upgrade that I made though.
 I used my normal teak method and, deliberately, went for a darker look. This is because I decided to number it as an exGNR composite carriage, which would be older and darker.

(Please don’t ask me how this old carriage has ended up on an angle truss underframe, with ventilator hoods on the doors etc, etc 😀)

This is how it has turned out so far:

01140DBA-E47E-48F0-83E3-4160EF79D3D6.jpeg.fa7709454325ac5c7e25e46a5df645a5.jpeg

CC2E3826-43E4-4042-A001-3F75AF3803A7.jpeg.79934a3d920c18f8a1ee748fdcdacd51.jpeg

The compartment side (second photo ) has had a finishing varnish coat. The corridor side will get this in due course - when the transfers have dried.

I’m pleased with the result and I think this is a usable layout carriage - even though it stetches the definition of a layout carriage to the limit😀

I think that my next step will be to practice some of the weathering tips that I’ve been watching on YouTube. The military modellers have some great ideas which I want to try out and this carriage is probably a good candidate.

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
Clarification
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Evening Jon, glad to see a new post. Them short Gresleys look to scrub up a treat with a bit of work, I'm just about to get shot of a load I bought to knock into a buffet but tempted to keep a couple back now!

All the best

James

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening Jon, glad to see a new post. Them short Gresleys look to scrub up a treat with a bit of work, I'm just about to get shot of a load I bought to knock into a buffet but tempted to keep a couple back now!

All the best

James

I saw your work on the Kirk carriage which looks to be turning out well.

For your era I guess you’d have maroon livery? I think it was only the buffet and sleeping cars that made it into blue grey livery wasn’t it?

To paraphrase one of my mother in law’s sayings - with a bit of work  “these carriages will put you on”. I think I’ll use them as an “excursion” set….until I build some replacements at some time in the future.

Jon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

I saw your work on the Kirk carriage which looks to be turning out well.

For your era I guess you’d have maroon livery? I think it was only the buffet and sleeping cars that made it into blue grey livery wasn’t it?

To paraphrase one of my mother in law’s sayings - with a bit of work  “these carriages will put you on”. I think I’ll use them as an “excursion” set….until I build some replacements at some time in the future.

Jon

Morning Jon, the Kirk buffer is moving on, hoped the new trussing and buffers would have arrived by now so I can get on with painting but such is life.

Like you say it was just buffets and sleepers that made it into blue and grey i think, I did pick up a Kirk sleeper 1st part finished for a 5er at Wakefield last week so that will be up next, will have to order more buffers and trussing. May do one of the shorty sleepers in maroon to bolster the mk1 rakes..

I think a whole excursion set teaked up would sit well as layout coaches for you, such a pity these coaches are pretty wrong everywhere to bash into other stuff!

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice coach job Jon - I think the 'layout vehicle' definition is designed to be stretchy, isn't it? 😀

Sorry to hear about the loft smoke - I find that kind of thing so frsutrating, when everything seems to be going fine and something unexpected goes wrong, a new thing to worry about / deal with. Hope you can sort it out quickly and cheaply...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Messing around with the Hornsby carriages seems to have done the trick with regards to the modelling mojo!

While working on the other three Hornbys from the Flying Scotsman set, I also managed to finish the saloon. All that was needed was to fit the roof and apply transfers. Not sure why it took so long! (To be fair to myself, I suppose,  the roof did need a bit of fettling.)

Anyway, here it is:

2FF734CC-23E5-438B-B641-9C270B38F57D.jpeg.5ce46fd3b0e7cf76aab51c21774fd62d.jpeg

DCAA1BF6-A1C4-4683-9666-CD783AFCEDBF.jpeg.9da6d5a314ae29d6f33597542ad220d7.jpeg

That’s another carriage that needs some weathering🙂

At some point I will get the airbrush out and add some (light) soot to the 

roof of this, and a few other, carriages.

Oh, and then there are interiors to create………..😀

Finally, while I work on the other Hornbys, I’m pondering this:

78F9EF15-3DD7-4A06-AF78-769658E68414.jpeg.d8e8487f984311c0edc580c7153989a4.jpeg

Thats the tender drive Flying Scotsman from the set. It seems to still run well and has no play damage.

My current thinking is to re-number, sort out the lining, replace the moulded handrails on the cab and replace the tender top with a Dave Alexander GN style tender top kit that I have in the stash. The kit is designed for the tender drive mechanism - but still requires some filing to the motor block….hmmm.

Jon

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Out of curiosity, I compared the Hornby Railroad Gresley composite to the brass sides of a D6 composite kit that I have in the stash. (It’s always dangerous to compare two models……but this is just for fun🙂)

I lined the third class doors up first:

5D4482ED-F5A6-4E75-80E5-429AF3FC1746.jpeg.8fc41c0a4596429ffcf2200dd3682060.jpeg

The spacing of the third class doors looks the same between the two models.

Then I tried with the first class doors lined up:

57B6827D-8F7D-4418-AD70-2E0E5F5C0F28.jpeg.cb817d90106d5c5b2c9ac9a4efb8263e.jpeg

Again, the spacing of the first class doors looks the same between the Hornby carriage and the brass sides.

The brass sides are full length and the difference is in the middle. The full length carriage has an extra (half) first class compartment.

Interestingly, the Hornby carriage is also longer between the ends and the first door- at both ends! That last point would make a cut and shut (to get a full length carriage out of the Hornby) an “interesting “ challenge.

Jon

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Jon, the other thing those photos show is how gorgeous your teak paintwork is! The lighting's caught it just right, especially in the second photo and it really looks like varnished wood: nice job!

Chas,

Thanks for your kind comment.

I think a very large part of any success that I have with teaking is down to the process. Over the years, I have seen a number of ways to create the teak effect and many of these produce great results. I was never convinced, though, that I could use these methods until I saw the approach that Mike Trice used.  I would never describe myself as artistic - so the great appeal of using oil paint was the length of time it takes to dry. There is plenty of time to rework the effect until I’m happy. The time limit is really defined by my patience (or lack thereof😀). In fact, if the effect is really not good, it is possible to remove the oil paint and start again…..which de-risks the whole thing!

I sometimes think the the effect I get is a bit overpowering- the most realistic look in 4mm seen from 3ft away would probably be plain brown and Matt finish. The thing is, I like the wood effect that I do get🙂. To my eye, it also resembles the colour photos of the time - they seem to exhibit an oil painting look.

As we have discussed before, colour perception is a very personal thing. So, it’s pleasing to see that other people seem to like the results as well!

Jon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I know what you mean where you say "I sometimes think the the effect I get is a bit overpowering- the most realistic look in 4mm seen from 3ft away would probably be plain brown and Matt finish. The thing is, I like the wood effect that I do get. To my eye, it also resembles the colour photos of the time - they seem to exhibit an oil painting look" as that's exactly how I feel about the ones I've done - Modellers' Rule No 1!

I've done my previous ones like you, similar to Mike's method, thicker oil-based paint in a multi-layer etc, but when I do my next one, I'm going to try something slightly different, where having done a light base colour, you go over it with darker shades mixed with gloss varnish, using longer, flowing strokes - someone who used to post on Tony Wright's thread (Andrew 'Headstock', you may remember him?) explained about it on that thread. He comes from an art background and I thought his results looked terrific too - different to where you and I were aiming, but very interesting and worth a try.

But ultimately, as you say, it should be what pleased us and I suspect you're like me in taking great delight in seeing a panel you've painted that actually does look like real wood!! 😃 Do you also like the look of real wood furniture, and older grained wood? I do, very much and I'm sure that's partly what makes us like the look of varnished wood carriages so much...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1