GCR and NER coaches: matchboard dimensions

Jim Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how wide the individual boards used on the matchboard coaches built by the Great Central and North Eastern Railways were? Thanks

Jim

SOMEONE must know ........ but the best I can do is advise that the Pullman Car Company used 2½’’ boards and you could use that as a guide. ( Only the most fastidious rivet board counters would know if your model's not right - and they've not bothered to reply to your post ! )

• RMweb Gold

In British Railway Carriages Of The Twentieth Century, Volume 1, by David Jenkinson, on page 192, there are detailed drawings of the Barnum stock. All manner of dimensions are given, including that of the matchboarding. 3 inches is the width given, and there is a very small ‘gap’ between each one, which, if added in, would equal about 4inches. I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Rob.

In British Railway Carriages Of The Twentieth Century, Volume 1, by David Jenkinson, on page 192, there are detailed drawings of the Barnum stock. All manner of dimensions are given, including that of the matchboarding. 3 inches is the width given, and there is a very small ‘gap’ between each one, which, if added in, would equal about 4inches. I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Rob.

If it states 3'' on the drawing that'll be inclusive of any 'gap' ( probably a bevelled edge ) ....... it's certainly not a full inch gap : that'd be far too draughty !

• RMweb Gold

lol. I think the gap is a bevelled edge from further looking at the drawings, which would make sense. Certainly, on a model, they should not be tight up against each other. I cannot reproduce things here for copyright reasons.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I actually have a copy of the Jenkinson book but I'd discounted it because I knew it didn't have detailed drawings of the post-1910 GC coaches: I didn't think about the Barnum drawings!

Jim