APT-P Photographs

Wow

Some sad photos there, to see all those seats go to scrap or even sold that not good either, who in there right mind, knowing very well that it's the ONLY APT-P left in this world and all what is inside it, why would you rip the seats out and original carpets etc., out to scrap or to be sold, surely there must have been space to preserve them somewhere and I know there must be some companies out there that will repair such waste if they need to be etc...!

Nothing of this APT-P should EVER, NEVER be thrown, or even robbed by thieves. The APT-P need to be restored back to its original glory and yes that means money that no one wants to give up freely in this strapped cash world we now live in, but even so, every part of it should never be thrown away without some validity of a group of ones who feel the same way about preserving this iconic train. 

Surely there are an handful ones on here who wants to see it kept for all time for our own generation and for future generations as the first tilting train that went on to become so main stream on every other train made after it, well slowly but surely.

Regards

Jamie

What are you trying to say Jamie?

From the pictures so far the train seems to still have plenty of seats in it. If you have more than you need and no money then attempts to raise funds through a limited sale sounds like a plan not some reckless vandalism

it just seems like Crewe Heritage Centre done seem interested in keeping the APT as much protected, its if the APT is some kind of burden to keep it onsite. That's just sad really, im not aiming it at anyone particular as I don't know the in's and out's of how Crewe Heritage Centre works, but surely its far better to keep as much of as possible that to leave out in the elements to rust, get wet t a point its worth selling or throwing away.

I'm sure most would agree when there is so little of it left, so we need to keep what little we have, surely.

Regards

Jamie

What are you trying to say Jamie?

From the pictures so far the train seems to still have plenty of seats in it. If you have more than you need and no money then attempts to raise funds through a limited sale sounds like a plan not some reckless vandalism

Hi woodenhead

I couldn't agree more with you, but I prefer to have a full First Class seating area, than clear all the seats out to have an exhibition area as that what I see looking at it today, surly there are better ways of raising cash than selling parts off what we are trying to preserve, it just seems bonkers.

Perhaps that must be just me then.

Regards

Jamie

Being blunt, it's never going to run again so as long as you have examples of first and second class seating in two carriages the rest is probably better used as exhibition space to show the development of the APT project.

Rail preservation is hard and costly enough for steam, I think it gets harder with diesels and electrics harder still. The iconic parts of the APT are the tilt, exterior and the power cars what's inside is a reminder of how awful the 70s were.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I remember right that coach was pretty much inaccessible due to the sheer number of seats stacked up in it so a decision was made to get rid, the carpet was already ripped up too, we just finished the job

It was surprising how little interest we got in the seats too, I think we sold half a dozen or so complete with cushions and that was it, look at the pic of them stacked up outside there must have been 20+ there which we ended up throwing away as quite simply no one wanted them, we looked at options such as using them as picnic table seats but nothing came of it

You will notice the seat cushions in my pics are not APT and thinking back as I type this I’m sure there were hundreds upon hundreds of MK2 seat cushions in the coach too

The other thing to remember is back in 2006 the heritage centre building itself was actually pete watermans workshops so the fairly big hall you see now was less than 1/2 the size it is now with a heavy engineering business operating behind big wooden screens so a lot of the things in the ‘exhibition’ were permanently covered in a film of dust or grinding wheel sparks

Shame about the horn buttons being nicked though

Edited by big jim

Hi Big Jim

The APT was in a rough state back then from your photos.  I remember passing it on WCML when it looked in that state to, I bet it was hard work getting it clean as we see it today, it did look in a sorry state and to get it clean over a weekend, where there many of you cleaning it...? I'd be up to help if it ever was needed?

Regards

Jamie

You see the small child in my pics? it was me and him and a stiff brush, no one else, there was no one else, the centre had 1/2 dozen volunteers and that was it!

Hi Big Jim

Man! I wish I'd have known at the time, I'd love to join up to help wherever I can, I'm amazed you did it in a weekend then with just You and the little one.

Hi woodenhead

Tell me about it when it comes to costs of keeping it on mainline or just preserved, the Class 89 as been on the books for years to get back up and running after GNER ran it into the ground, and now will cost thousands just for the one part needed and they need more parts before they even get close to getting it to move on its own.

The Deltic 55022 and 55016 cost arm and leg to keep running when Martin owed them both, I remember he saying when he bough 55022, this loco as cost me my marriage, which was funny for those that are married can see the cheaper option lol, I also remember the one part he needed, he could only find it on a Nuclear Submarine and that cost into the tens of thousands of pounds to buy.

You have to have money to burn to keep these great iconic moving on mainline.

Regards

Jamie

Hi All

Below is Brian answering a question about the Narrow Corridor between the Seating Area through to the Cab part and on the opposite side to the Generator, and what were the other Air Tanks etc. that I took photos off earlier in the Thread.

More importantly,,, I also managed to come across this from old Topic of what Brian had uploaded of the Buffet Display Bar and another creepy Manikin... lol

Hi Jamie.

The auxiliary room you have marked, in red is the main diesel engine area complete with it's panels for starting, clock hours etc, the yellow part is the battery charger underneath where the cloth was put are the batteries, that cloth was put there temporarily  to stop people touching or dropping things on the batteries. The mirror by the buffet car door is in fact a kind of reflective tape and not glass. The menu was at the other end of the bar area on the left above the litter bin as you go into the seating area.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-6042-0-43924000-1528301701_thumb.jp

Regards

Jamie

Hi all. 

Here's a couple of pics from today on how it's going on the "new" power car. Also took a pic of the final drive gear box cover, i think it looks great i'll probably paint these back into the blue again and finally if you ever want to make a power car door i now have the drawing number....just need the drawings now lol.

Brian

post-6042-0-72111500-1529094926_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-10006300-1529094940_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-83956300-1529094961_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all. 

Here's a couple of pics from today on how it's going on the "new" power car. Also took a pic of the final drive gear box cover, i think it looks great i'll probably paint these back into the blue again and finally if you ever want to make a power car door i now have the drawing number....just need the drawings now lol.

Brian

Hi Brian

Oh GET... IN...! That doesn't look so sorry, as it was looking before you improved it, but still glad we saw it as it was, so we can see the progress that You and your team...IF ANY lol have done on making the Power Car look something more like... 

Great work Brian and looking great mate.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Brian

So have you managed to paint the Power Car on the both sides or is it just the one side so far...?

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Just over half of the one side is primered, the other side nothing at all. It's a big job with a 3" brush but the best way as you can get in all the awkward bits. It will need some light filling and sanding in a few places, then 2 coats of undercoat followed by 2 coats of gloss and maybe varnished after.

Brian

Hi Brian

Passenger Doors Access, Driver's Cab End Coach 003/006

I notice from photos there seems to be One Door Access, one on each coach (excluding the Drivers Cab Door), but where there is a door on one side, on the other side of the coach seems to have a Toilet Window on the oppose side to the Door, is that correct...? (Both at the same end of the coach)

I noticed while looking at the Passenger Coach 003 & 006 Cars, as we look at it from the same side, 006 as No Door but as Toilet Window, while the other end 003 as One Door, While I say toilet window, I refer to glass that's cream/white in colour so you can not see inside, so may or may not be a toilet as such.

Passenger Doors Access, First Coach Off the Centre Power Cars

They have two doors on the same end on both sides to each other (Out side the Guards Compartment Room) You see a door either side where the guard's compartment is, .... while at the other end of the same coach, you only have a door on one side (making the coach with Three Doors in total) as the other side as a Toilet Window... is that correct...?

In General

It seems every coach as Only Two Doors and Two Toilet windows, unlike the Mk3/4 coaches which have Two Doors on either side at each end, making Four Doors per Coach. But the APT-P as One Door and One Toilet window at the same end, then the other end of the same coach as the same configuration but opposite sides to the other end, so only Two Access Doors and Two Toilet Windows in each coach.

In the Six Coaches of the APT-P at Crewe Heritage Centre, How many Access Doors are there (Excluding the Drivers Cab Doors)...? and how many Toilets are they in total of all six coaches...?

Hope that's not to confusing... lol

Regards

Jamie  

Hi Jamie.

Yes the way it's set out is that opposite a door is a toilet or store cupboard and a door next to that...if you what i mean. Every coach as 2 doors diagonally from each other except the TGF that has 2 large doors by the guards compartment for loading and unloading items and also for disabled access and 1 normal door, making a total of 3 doors for a TGF.

Basically is set out from 003 - 006, cab door, door, toilet, door, toilet, large doors (guards area ), power car, large door (guards area), door, toilet, cab door. There are in total 5 toilets, 2 store cupboards and another store/staff room by the kitchen area.

Hope that makes sense.

Brian

Hi Jamie.

Yes the way it's set out is that opposite a door is a toilet or store cupboard and a door next to that...if you what i mean. Every coach as 2 doors diagonally from each other except the TGF that has 2 large doors by the guards compartment for loading and unloading items and also for disabled access and 1 normal door, making a total of 3 doors for a TGF.

Basically is set out from 003 - 006, cab door, door, toilet, door, toilet, large doors (guards area ), power car, large door (guards area), door, toilet, cab door. There are in total 5 toilets, 2 store cupboards and another store/staff room by the kitchen area.

Hope that makes sense.

Brian

Hi Brian

That's was exactly what I was trying to say and I'm glad you managed to decipher what I was trying to say, You nailed it in one mate. 

Interesting not being laid out like the normal Mk3's/Mk4's we see today. 

I was just going through my photos and the seating diagram that I uploaded and some of the coaches wasn't matching my photos, so as I looked more into my photos, and it was only then, I noticed the doors were not adding up evenly like the Mk3's & Mk4's do. 

I'm just trying to think, if they have that correct on the Hornby APT-P model, but whatever... I'm sure the 3D scanning will show the correct setup, so DJM Dave's APT-P will represent the True Door & Toilet Window Setup when the model is released. 

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi all. 

Brian

Hi Brian

You have done a great job when you see the Before and After.

post-5212-0-16604500-1529360427_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-94714400-1529360374.jpg

Well done mate for all your hard work.

Regards

Jamie

I used to have one of those 'Danger, this gap may close' stickers on the rear (opening) window of my Hillman Imp when I was at the RTC.  :D

I should have had one on the bonnet too, it was pretty darn heavy! 

Hi Brian

Those are looking pretty smart and making the Power Car look like new again... will you be replacing all other Data panels for the other APT-P coaches etc... I always take photos of these, I did of Voyager Class 221 5-Car set last week while in Holyhead.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Brian

Those are looking pretty smart and making the Power Car look like new again... will you be replacing all other Data panels for the other APT-P coaches etc... I always take photos of these, I did of Voyager Class 221 5-Car set last week while in Holyhead.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

The other coaches don't have them, just the power cars, there isn't anything on them.

Cheers. Brian

Hi Brian

Does every Coach of a Divider Section, what it to separate Smoker from None Smoker like the SMOKE Ever knew not to go past this Divider ha-ha

Did every Coach have a 'Smoker from None Smoker' section and if so, is that where we get a Divider Section...? (Cant think of any other reason so have a Divider unless it was H&S Fire regulations, but I'd have though the early 1980's was to early for the fire regulations...!?!

post-5212-0-09503000-1529625317_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Brian

Does every Coach of a Divider Section, what it to separate Smoker from None Smoker like the SMOKE Ever knew not to go past this Divider ha-ha

Did every Coach have a 'Smoker from None Smoker' section and if so, is that where we get a Divider Section...? (Cant think of any other reason so have a Divider unless it was H&S Fire regulations, but I'd have though the early 1980's was to early for the fire regulations...!?!

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (132).JPG

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Have a look at this layout plan, this was how they were originally set for smoking and non smoking. 99% of the "no smoking" stickers were put in it when the no smoking inside regs came out a few years back

post-6042-0-24835100-1529647339.jpg

Edited by craigy