Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Well I've now finally got one, the wait is over, Hornby have delivered a stunning model and a ruston has joined the distillery rosta! I can already say that I have fitted high capacity stay alive (like I did to the peckett) and will be posting that tomorrow on this thread as well as producing a YouTube video on it as well. This means that I don't have to run the loco with the runner wagon. The ruston actually makes the peckett look big!received_1084278071781045.jpeg.be27c10415610f34c9d66b18f4feb978.jpegreceived_415216722529107.jpeg.49e71524bc049d1d1fa3ed90cbfff8e9.jpegreceived_438180800236986.jpeg.ec7e363f6c3756b1b6e765bec25c56d2.jpeg

• Like 5

On 26/06/2019 at 20:12, luke the train spotter said:

So an update on the Peckett now christened Douglas. I have fitted some homemade pickups made out of 0.4mm phosphor bronze wire. They work a treat and it’s great to have Douglas back running again. Here is a picture of how everything is set out prior to insulation.586174E2-75CB-41B4-BD70-F3B3C4381B3F.jpeg.884bfdc59cac458309ccc4ea85428655.jpegIt was a lot simpler than I thought and works a treat. In fact it worked so well and wasn’t even that difficult  I plan to re do the pick ups on my 009 roco loco to improve reliability of running. Thanks for looking guys. :)

Hi Luke, sorry for dragging up an old post, but I have a question.

I have an old class 08 that it looks like the pick up has pretty much disintegrated. Is the wire bent, and then glued to provide some tension on the wheels to maintain contact? I have been searching for a week to find this post again after it sitting in my memory that I had seen it done.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johnsmithuk said:

Hi Luke, sorry for dragging up an old post, but I have a question.

I have an old class 08 that it looks like the pick up has pretty much disintegrated. Is the wire bent, and then glued to provide some tension on the wheels to maintain contact? I have been searching for a week to find this post again after it sitting in my memory that I had seen it done.

So I do pre bend the wire a bit before glueing it in place (though you could solder them to some copper clad pcb board) but then I press them under pressure against the wheel so they can spring onto the wheel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

I can already say that I have fitted high capacity stay alive (like I did to the peckett) and will be posting that tomorrow on this thread as well as producing a YouTube video on it as well.

Luke,

Looking forward to seeing the post tomorrow and the video - I want to do the same in mine & run it without the truck. Curious as to what chip & stay alive you used, and where you fitted it!

JRB

• Like 1

Well here is how I fitted high capacity stay alive to my tiny Hornby Ruston. Compared to the peckett this was a much easier fit and no serious loco surgery had to be used. The decoder I used is a Laisdcc 870021 (make sure it's that product number) and a TCS ka4 high capacity unit. Match up the black and black white stripe wires and the blue wires and solder them together, making sure to insulate. Now turning to the loco, detach the loco from the runner wagon (you wont need it once the stay alive and been fitted). Then take the loco apart, there are 4 small cross screws under the sanding pipes which hold the loco body on. After that I removed the cab roof. This is a separately fitted part and I levered it off with a sharp craft knife which revealed this interior. IMG_20190930_202400811.jpg.b2072d346c65ce6ebdfeb216c1891932.jpgI used a pair of pliers to bend the cab control leavers off as they're super glued into the cast metal base of the cab. This makes plenty of room for all the stay alive gear and is actually quite spacious. Now thread the wires of the decoder through the hole where the bonnet is and hard wire the decoder to try chassis. Then you can fit all the stay alive gear back in the cab as a test fit. IMG_20190930_205912504.jpg.882d04a2374e4d165714abcae3b124a9.jpgI opted to place the decoder on the floor then put the capacitors on top though there is ample space to use different positions and combinations. After that I then reassemble the loco and tacked the roof back on with some very small drops of super glue. All in all quite an easy fit and no serious surgery involved. I then popped it on the layout and changed CV29 so that it would have a value of 2. This ensures smooth running and a gradual release of power from the capacitors so you can't tell when it's running off track power and when it's running off capacitor power because otherwise it's a bit jittery.  From start to finish it took me less than an hour to fit the stay alive and it works a treat. I'll get a video explaining this video up on YouTube soon showing it running as well but this is all dependant on how I tackle my sixth form work. I'll leave you with some pictures of it on Distillery Yard including some shots of it against my peckett. received_1084278071781045.jpeg.78f972dc26c62783561e888801e2fa09.jpegreceived_415216722529107.jpeg.f73b571e7b799b8357e5c379f6700e9e.jpegreceived_438180800236986.jpeg.c6a63d48b3b695861020e11f237e8368.jpeg

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This gem of a loco arrived today. Glad I finally got my hands on one of these hattons Andrew Barclays as they're the ideal candidate for distillery yard. IMG_20191105_094253779.jpg.c0df9148b9a53fd63ebb43abbe789322.jpgThough it currently is in NCB green it won't be for long as I plan to convert it to look like the Andrew Barclay at dailuaine distillery which provided most of the inspiration for the layout. Screenshot_20191102-185636.png.e0bf14719be1d7dbbbecb9b4165a01b1.png

• Like 9

Well that excitement has very quickly turned to sour disappointment. Never have I had a loco which makes the sounds this one does. So I ran the loco in no problem for the designated amount of time then chipped it with the high capacity stay alive which required some medium loco surgery. Had it shunting distillery yard for a bit and now it's wheels are locked up as the motor grinds away. Turns out it's the loose slide gear on both sides which is absolute pain. It appears that they were simply super glued in place which is very shoddy considering they are crucial to the running of the loco. Furthermore they are a flimsy plastic and I can't get them into the designated slots. I have sent rails of Sheffield a message (that's who I bought the loco through) but since this set me back £100 I'm appalled at it's shoddy quality compared to the peckett which was cheaper. I doubt I'll get very far though considering I've fitted the stay alive gear. Any advice or experience to fix this? After speaking to some friends this unfortunately seems to be a common issue. 

Well that has been painful but successful. I have remedied the broken slide gear and grinding motor and I'm glad that's over. The broken slide gear needed quite some force applied with a screw driver in some precise places to get it to pop back in place. It is still loose though so I've put a few drops of super glue in it. The very noisy grindy motor comes down to the jammed valve gear as a result of the broken slide gear. It runs nice and smoothly now which is very pleasing but it is definitely louder than my peckett/ruston though I think this is a motor thing and not necessarily a fault. Now I feel confident that the loco will provide good service, here is how I fired stay alive to it. I started by removing the running board from the chassis then removing the body off by taking out the 3 small screws and prising odd the back plate of the cab with a sharp craft knife. IMG_20191105_155350304.jpg.d1ec16398fe1d28f99a0187d36499051.jpgUnlike the Hornby peckett where most of the loco is metal construction, the body of the Barclay is pretty much all plastic. This made it very easy to clip away the firebox to make way for the stay alive capacitor and decoder. I just used some metal clippers which found it easy to get through the plastic. IMG_20191105_155727095.jpg.82d8747278ee8523655fff03a2bfc257.jpgI then fed the wired from the chassis through the cab before hard wiring a laisdcc 870021 decoder in. The stay alive unit is the same as in the ruston and peckett and is a TCS KA4 unit. IMG_20191105_161730129.jpg.9ccb75e3fa622a954afdd2c285b8d9da.jpg I then reassembled it all and after the repairs I made it all works! Next job will be debranding it and making a modification to the cab so that it looks like there is a homemade rear panel of the cab to cover all the electrics. Crew will also be essential as well as a good weathering and additional detailing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Glad you sorted it out Luke, how will you debrand the Loco, I've one, different livery, that will need the same treatment.

Steve.

I plan to use T cut. Thats what I normally use for debranding locos and removing numbers. It's worked well on Hornby and Bachmann models so I expect that it'll work well on this one too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Glad you got the andrew barclay working the way you wanted.
Does it still have a decent amount of weight with more being made of plastic than the ruston and peckett?

The running board is all diecast and so is the chassis so it has enough weight though feels like it weighs less than the peckett but that has a fully diecast body. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

The running board is all diecast and so is the chassis so it has enough weight though feels like it weighs less than the peckett but that has a fully diecast body. 

I have a peckett and despite its size it has a decent amount of weight, as you said its a full diecast body.