NER OO Scale Bench ?

• RMweb Gold

Try this Shire Scenes one http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S20V.php

Also there's a foundry in, I think, Skelton does full size ones.

Edit, meant to say I don't think 3D or resin will be stable enough unless they were way too chunky.

Edited by Worsdell forever

Hello Anthony,

I found your post recently and though I might help with your request. I have done some modelling and run a test print of the bench you might like. It is printed in OO scale. Please see the photos below and let me know what do you think.

Primed:

FRY2GA1.jpg

l6BxjZh.jpg

eg2cX3Z.jpg

Painted:

tKgd9wW.jpg

QM8oSDq.jpg

tXKDov1.jpg

And with passenger passing by (not included :)

2oWCCWd.jpg

iFvV6Dw.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel

• Like 6

Hello Anthony,

I found your post recently and though I might help with your request. I have done some modelling and run a test print of the bench you might like. It is printed in OO scale. Please see the photos below and let me know what do you think.

Primed:

FRY2GA1.jpg

l6BxjZh.jpg

eg2cX3Z.jpg

Painted:

tKgd9wW.jpg

QM8oSDq.jpg

tXKDov1.jpg

And with passenger passing by (not included :)

2oWCCWd.jpg

iFvV6Dw.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel

That looks brilliant! 

Surely in the real world the seats would have been painted with gloss paint, that would then have gone more matt as the paint surface aged. So the above is presumably a model of a new seat.

I don't think the gloss would have lasted that long in NER land. Also the metal in the realone(in photo) is definitely less gloss. sorry, having fun,but I tend to go for 'average day' conditions, unless there is a particular reason not to.

• Like 1

Is that printed as one piece or does it have to be assembled?

Very nice. Pity about the gloss paint. Fine for museum items, but in the real world!

The bench is printed in one piece, so no assembly needed.

The painting is made only for presentation purposes. The bench is offered unpainted.

Also bear in mind the photo is made in macro scale so the sheen level is highly exaggerated. As well as any other imperfections.

Below you can see the bench before gloss lacquer.

0tDFkle.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Anthony,

Primed:

eg2cX3Z.jpg

Painted:

passenger passing by (not included :)

Cheers,

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

I'm guessing that thats printed on a resin printer? If so, what orientation did you print it at (ie feet flat to the floor or seat angled back etc...)  and how did you organise the supports if its ok asking?

I've got an unopened Anycubic Photon sitting on my bench, prints like this are making me more and more wanting to find the time to get it unboxed..

• Like 1

Hi monkeysarefun,

The bench was printed on Anycubic Photon. It is great printer, however have some flaws. Never tried the famous Formlabs Form SLA printer, which has better resolution, bigger printing area but from other side consumables are more expensive.

So, not worth hesitating, just open yours, play with it and have fun.

The orientation of printing object is a matter of trial and error. The NER bench prints the best when oriented horizontally. Please see the picture below. Hope it helps.

G99TxD4.png

The automatic support generators are useless for me. Maybe it works better if you have more solid models such as figures or some simple architecture. Also I found that the best software for me is B9Creator instead of supplied with Anycubic Photon software. It gives more flexibility and it is easier to manipulate. Another good thing in B9Creator is that I can save the work file and adjust the supports when I need. Very useful in prototype stage. Then I export the model with supports to STL and use Anycubic software for slicing only.

The automatic support generators are useless for me. Maybe it works better if you have more solid models such as figures or some simple architecture. Also I found that the best software for me is B9Creator instead of supplied with Anycubic Photon software. It gives more flexibility and it is easier to manipulate. Another good thing in B9Creator is that I can save the work file and adjust the supports when I need. Very useful in prototype stage. Then I export the model with supports to STL and use Anycubic software for slicing only.

Thanks for being so helpful. Still playing around with deciding what the best 3D softare is for modelling architectural details, I've been flitting between learning the basics of Sketchup. Solidworks, Fusion360 and Blender so I can make something useful.... Sure is a brain overload!

Thanks for being so helpful. Still playing around with deciding what the best 3D softare is for modelling architectural details, I've been flitting between learning the basics of Sketchup. Solidworks, Fusion360 and Blender so I can make something useful.... Sure is a brain overload!

Personally I wouldn't use Blender. I'm not saying it is bad software. It is one of the most powerful modelling tools, but it is mainly focused on rendering and animation. And needs plenty of time to learn.

Sketchup is good, free, but had few troubles with exporting to STL's (flipped triangles, open shells etc.) depending on complexity of the model.

I think the best is Solidworks or alternatively Inventor. Both are parametric modelling packages which makes very easy to adjust/tweak your models. And this is the most essential feature from my point of view. Very useful when doing 3D prints and lot of changes during the process of prototyping is required.

Fusion 360 is also great software, but not as complex and flexible as other two mentioned above.

Hope that helps. Good luck.