Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heath Town and other signalling diversions

5BarVT

• RMweb Premium
On 08/08/2022 at 07:56, 5BarVT said:

I looked into a laser level.  The ‘less expensive’ type need a planar surface (flat wall) to work.  As my room is full of shelving I would need a fancier gyro based device and that put the cost up into the £00s as I recall.  I sorted the vertical alignment using old fashioned sprit level and straight edge (where I needed a greater span).

What I’m working on now is the ’plan view’.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Paul.

Paul

I think the £40 units will happily self level if simply placed on one of your shelves? The Bosch one says it will compensate for up to four degrees from horizontal automatically etc.

ANdy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

SURVEYING PROGRESS (or progress in surveying)

All 11 completed boards measured and perceived errors resolved on most.  The further round the room I get the greater the accumulated errors have become.  Well at least that fits the theory!

Having measured the open framework board in more detail, I can say that not only are square boards not square, straight edges aren’t straight either.

I’m happy that I’m not far off having a set of as built board outlines that can have the track superimposed to see how much the actual varies from the theoretical.

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dapol DOWNER
Had a break from layout construction and took two Dapol 122 with me on Saturday in order to investigate poor running.

Result:

One Dapol pick up screw lost to the tile monster (not even a carpet monster, but still lost).

I couldn’t see how to remove the worm- I was unable to remove the cover off (what I think is) the universal joint.

Discovered that one SPC that appeared to have run in well but with some clicking was in fact locked solid at one end and the clicking was the drive shaft at that end.  Not sure if it’s the drive moving in the universal joint or the drive solid and the motor clicking.  Either way it won’t move on the track.

My third SPC, a 121, is also very sluggish so probably something similar.

So 3 purchased, 0 running.  All well out of warranty so it’s down to me to fix.

Does anyone know where to get Dapol instruction sheets that detail the way to replace gears, drives and motors? Or anyone who supplies parts/spares?  Hoping to get to working out of three purchases.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Correcting errors (write post read!)
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2022 at 03:11, St Enodoc said:

The cover should just unclip.

This is where I got to:

995766317_220901DapolWorm.JPG.2c1a4a181bff6c37df96acd1bc831fb9.JPG

The cover I could unclip is in the background.  That allowed the worm to be lifted at one end, but the inner end seems firmly fixed.

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

This is where I got to:

The cover I could unclip is in the background.  That allowed the worm to be lifted at one end, but the inner end seems firmly fixed.

Paul.

I suspect its all obvious but what I am seeing working from the free end is  a brass bearing that sits in the bogie which is probably a push fit on the shaft, then the worm then a transverse pin that locks the worm to its shaft. The fact you can lift it that far suggests a universal joint of some sort which is no doubt needed to allow the bogie to turn. Might you be able to draw the worm along parallel to the body now its free at its end thus pulling its shaft out of the UJ or perhaps pulling the UJ from the shaft that couples to the motor? What is under the PCB? Does it lift off?

Andy

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

This is where I got to:

Paul.

Paul,

Looks to me that the next step is to remove the bogie by undoing the black screw over the pivot point. From the photo it could be a torx thread.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ISW said:

Looks to me that the next step is to remove the bogie by undoing the black screw over the pivot point. From the photo it could be a torx thread.

Bogie is already detached - screw is the big fuzzy bit up by the worm cover!

4 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I suspect its all obvious but what I am seeing working from the free end is  a brass bearing that sits in the bogie which is probably a push fit on the shaft, then the worm then a transverse pin that locks the worm to its shaft. The fact you can lift it that far suggests a universal joint of some sort which is no doubt needed to allow the bogie to turn. Might you be able to draw the worm along parallel to the body now its free at its end thus pulling its shaft out of the UJ or perhaps pulling the UJ from the shaft that couples to the motor? What is under the PCB? Does it lift off?

Under the PCB is the motor.  PCB only lifts off if all the wires are unsoldered and it’s a right pain to get them back on again (lead free solder so as they’re RoHS compliant).  See bogie pick up lead that’s missing (broke off as I was manipulating things!).

UJ is what I can’t get out. Possibly I haven’t pulled hard enough but when other bits are fragile and break one has doubts.

There is a photo of a dismantled one which looks like the components in mine but I can’t see what I need to do to get the UJ out,

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Bogie is already detached - screw is the big fuzzy bit up by the worm cover!

Under the PCB is the motor.  PCB only lifts off if all the wires are unsoldered and it’s a right pain to get them back on again (lead free solder so as they’re RoHS compliant).  See bogie pick up lead that’s missing (broke off as I was manipulating things!).

UJ is what I can’t get out. Possibly I haven’t pulled hard enough but when other bits are fragile and break one has doubts.

There is a photo of a dismantled one which looks like the components in mine but I can’t see what I need to do to get the UJ out,

Paul.

You should be able to drop the bogie down and jiggle it about to make space to remove the worm and the drive shaft. As you've said, you can't remove the bogie altogether because of the pickup wires.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

This is where I got to:

Paul.

When I left school I was trained as an engineer so I feel I can give an experienced comment on your situation. It is (use your own non RMweb word). 

Solution, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=oo+gauge+lima+dmu+117&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=oo+gauge+lima+dmu&_osacat=0

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

THE PERILS OF LAZINESS or Being an Engineer

Underneath this board piled high with construction parts (dumping ground) is a two level joint between boards on the lower level.  Three out of the four tracks accross the join had been laid satisfactorily away from the layout.  For the fourth track I decided I needed to do it in situ (don't ask why, with hindsight I can't say!).

1844044402_220906DumpingGround.JPG.1677470e3ff46684c5929e539fc97716.JPG

Anyway, it didn't work so I needed to get at it from above.  Less than 10 minutes tidying up got to this.

1399920635_220906Cleared.JPG.cefbf8e772657df58b290b72ab1e6519.JPG

So now I can lay the ongoing track easily!  I have no idea how much time I wasted messing about trying to do it all with the dumping ground in place - multiple amounts of 10 mins!!!

Whilst all was out in the open and visible I noticed that there seemed to be a gradient change at the joint.  To the right it is 1:40 as designed.  To the left it should be 1:40 but is actually nearer 1:33.  There is a bright side to this - further round the layout continuing at 1:40 doesn't get me up to the height I need (due to 20mm floor level difference end to end) so going steeper will help.  Most of my stock has run on the 1:33 without issue, or is of similar design, so once I'm clear of the curves behind the camera a bit more 1:33 will appear on the straight section.  That will also give scope for a vertical curve at the top to help with the transition. 

On a completely different subject, many pages ago I showed a dog leg joint where the latex glue used to stick down the track had failed in shear.  I have had more of this elsewhere with curves self transitioning at the ends and sharpening in the centre.  The inner curve in the photo above has been removed, glue rubbed off and PVA used in place.  All is a lot firmer so constructions standards will change from now on.  Latex is fine for gluing the underlay to the boards - I'm assuming the larger surface area is what makes the difference.

We're getting there!

Paul.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

On a completely different subject, many pages ago I showed a dog leg joint where the latex glue used to stick down the track had failed in shear.  I have had more of this elsewhere with curves self transitioning at the ends and sharpening in the centre.  The inner curve in the photo above has been removed, glue rubbed off and PVA used in place.  All is a lot firmer so constructions standards will change from now on.  Latex is fine for gluing the underlay to the boards - I'm assuming the larger surface area is what makes the difference.

I use water-based impact adhesive - water-based to stop me getting high on the fumes, man...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

THE PERILS OF LAZINESS or Being an Engineer

Underneath this board piled high with construction parts (dumping ground) is a two level joint between boards on the lower level.  Three out of the four tracks accross the join had been laid satisfactorily away from the layout.  For the fourth track I decided I needed to do it in situ (don't ask why, with hindsight I can't say!).

1844044402_220906DumpingGround.JPG.1677470e3ff46684c5929e539fc97716.JPG

Anyway, it didn't work so I needed to get at it from above.  Less than 10 minutes tidying up got to this.

1399920635_220906Cleared.JPG.cefbf8e772657df58b290b72ab1e6519.JPG

So now I can lay the ongoing track easily!  I have no idea how much time I wasted messing about trying to do it all with the dumping ground in place - multiple amounts of 10 mins!!!

Whilst all was out in the open and visible I noticed that there seemed to be a gradient change at the joint.  To the right it is 1:40 as designed.  To the left it should be 1:40 but is actually nearer 1:33.  There is a bright side to this - further round the layout continuing at 1:40 doesn't get me up to the height I need (due to 20mm floor level difference end to end) so going steeper will help.  Most of my stock has run on the 1:33 without issue, or is of similar design, so once I'm clear of the curves behind the camera a bit more 1:33 will appear on the straight section.  That will also give scope for a vertical curve at the top to help with the transition. 

We're getting there!

Paul.

Full marks for checking the variation in floor level - I wonder how many of us have been caught out over the years assuming a floor was flat (even after we’d learned not to assume the walls were square). A good point to remind us of, Keith.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Full marks for checking the variation in floor level

Was my free running coaches alerted me to the possibility!  Allegedly level baseboard supports i.e. the same length but in different parts of the room did not give stationary coaches when uncoupled.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Was my free running coaches alerted me to the possibility!  Allegedly level baseboard supports i.e. the same length but in different parts of the room did not give stationary coaches when uncoupled.

Paul.

Gravity is troublesome stuff as old Isaac found out!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Went on a trip last week: Mrs 5BarVT went straight to family, meanwhile I met up with other Retired Railway Officers (Scotland) in Glasgow.  Met some colleagues whom I hadn't seen in years, a very pleasant day.

1455593930_220912GLCEmpty.JPG.57340099bffdcf84c262b8c746f17eba.JPG

Glasgow Central - looks like lockdown but actually a weekday at 17:50.

55052216_220912GLCOcc.JPG.6421f6c54f9ea9566a9dcfefc9db2ce4.JPG

Bit busier in the short platforms

629785237_220912GLCSlpr.JPG.edd1786c3b508e1341654a0d6c5d62b4.JPG

Sleeper head end power

1196483773_220912EUSSlpr.JPG.b291de090fa02bec6f9f5a6cc41221e0.JPG

And at Euston

1473522482_220912ESL.JPG.5847fbb29e4dca11377c4a395b003800.JPG

Changed trains at Eastleigh, heaving with train spotters.  No Mr Peters, he must have been busy in the PoD.

Paul.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Went on a trip last week: Mrs 5BarVT went straight to family, meanwhile I met up with other Retired Railway Officers (Scotland) in Glasgow.  Met some colleagues whom I hadn't seen in years, a very pleasant day.

1455593930_220912GLCEmpty.JPG.57340099bffdcf84c262b8c746f17eba.JPG

Glasgow Central - looks like lockdown but actually a weekday at 17:50.

55052216_220912GLCOcc.JPG.6421f6c54f9ea9566a9dcfefc9db2ce4.JPG

Bit busier in the short platforms

629785237_220912GLCSlpr.JPG.edd1786c3b508e1341654a0d6c5d62b4.JPG

Sleeper head end power

1196483773_220912EUSSlpr.JPG.b291de090fa02bec6f9f5a6cc41221e0.JPG

And at Euston

1473522482_220912ESL.JPG.5847fbb29e4dca11377c4a395b003800.JPG

Changed trains at Eastleigh, heaving with train spotters.  No Mr Peters, he must have been busy in the PoD.

Paul.

Looks like a good trip Paul, and your right, I was in the POD, busily soldering and getting power to the rest of the Last Great Project. Well I hope its not actually. 🤣👍

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back home now.  Returned via Chester, and read the notice at the lift.  Twice, just to make sure it said what I thought it did.

16F4B0CE-DAF4-4B81-8783-D609BC5F134E.jpeg.15f8256573518287db81035c45067cfa.jpeg

Unless I’m being really stupid, I don’t think they mean what the large trolley instruction says.

”Excuse me Gentlemen, are you passengers?  I need at least two to accompany me in this lift because this is a large trolley.”

From the look of the sign it’s been there since BR days.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4