Balbeggie Sidings

sulzer27jd

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff, amazing that these came from an iPhone! :D

I'm a late arrival in the thread having come in via the gallery image which was the in the homepage - I can't add much apart from echoing how evocative the pictures are, being able to show lengthy trains in correct formations is very atmospheric.

Having just got here I'm slightly concerned at talk of a new project ;) - BR Blue is my favourite, but good luck if things do change! :)

Having just got here I'm slightly concerned at talk of a new project ;) - BR Blue is my favourite, but good luck if things do change! :)

With my time restrictions at present I think Balbeggie Sidings will be around for some time to come. I am looking at re-aligning a couple of the points though.

Thanks for the +ve feedback

J

taken from the same session;

The afternoon Aberdeen to Leeds service heads towards Kirkcaldy with 47 464 leading;

file-1.jpg

On its way it passes 26 029 collecting odd minerals from local sidings (remember them?);

file-2.jpg

The 26 sits idling in the yard;

file.jpg

When its completed its shunt the 26 will wander back to Thornton Yard with its wagons. But it has to wait for the next Edinburgh to Dundee to pass. Here is 27 041 running 2L56, the 18.25 off of Waverley.

file-3.jpg

J

• RMweb Gold

Oh what have you done - I now have Into the Valley, playing very loud!

Good man

Cheers

J

Coincidentally, "Into the Valley" turned up on random shuffle on my stereo earlier this evening. The Skids, and quality BR Blue layouts like this, never get old!

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff, amazing that these came from an iPhone!

I'm a late arrival in the thread having come in via the gallery image which was the in the homepage - I can't add much apart from echoing how evocative the pictures are, being able to show lengthy trains in correct formations is very atmospheric.

Having just got here I'm slightly concerned at talk of a new project BR Blue is my favourite, but good luck if things do change!

Have to agree with everything Rich said - just read the thread from start to finish and those recent low level pics are superb as are the last set of 4.

Keep that BR blue coming :yes: brings back such good memories...

I haven't tried this before but here is a couple of videos taken on the layout

http://youtu.be/NexnD3MfMA4

Apologies for the quality but it was just taken on an iPhone. It shows a pair of class 20's hauling a loaded MGR into the loops at Balbeggie Sidings. This is one of the signatures of the layout and loads and empties shuffle around throughout the day.

In the opposite direction - 47464 substitutes for a Sulzer type 2 on a Dundee to Edinburgh stopper;

http://youtu.be/eRE5-QJEoHo

hope you enjoy

John

John

I know that you're pretty good on '80s Scotland so just two quick questions.

In the Scottish 1980s parcel traffic thread Deltic9001 talks about the 4A40 11.10 Edinburgh - Aberdeen parcels. For starters it is not in the 1981-82 Working Timetable, had it ceased running by then?

The second question is that 7K81 22.49 Craiginches - Millerhill has Mail just below the column heading, did this Class 7 freight regularly have parcels vans attached?

John

I know that you're pretty good on '80s Scotland so just two quick questions.

In the Scottish 1980s parcel traffic thread Deltic9001 talks about the 4A40 11.10 Edinburgh - Aberdeen parcels. For starters it is not in the 1981-82 Working Timetable, had it ceased running by then?

The second question is that 7K81 22.49 Craiginches - Millerhill has Mail just below the column heading, did this Class 7 freight regularly have parcels vans attached?

Flood re Q1 - I have this in the 1980-81 WTT as 4A40. The 11.34 Edinburgh to Aberdeen Parcels. The is shown with a timing load of 525t and a class 40 allocated. I remember this train well as it would arrive into Dundee into the South Yard (now the road past the side of the station). It would then reverse out and down into platform 4, where the sport amongst the locals was watching the parcels marked as "fragile" being carefully thrown across the platform! Arrival time into Aberdeen was 18.03.

Re Q2 - the short answer is I don't know. I have it as the 22.48 Guild Street to Millerhill and was a Sundays excepted (so for my reckoning doesn't run on Monday morning) It is clearly marked with MAIL. The only reference in the WTT is to the Freight Train Load Book which if you had access to that might reveal the secrets of this mystery. I have forwarded on your query to a friend who may be able to help.

Hope that is of some use

J

Thanks for that John. I didn't have the arrival time for 4A40 at Aberdeen so that is a bonus and it also means that none of the stock from this train went onto the Stonehaven local which left at 17.12. This means, to me at least, that the parcels stock from the 01.05 Perth - Aberdeen went back on the 17.12 Aberdeen - Edinburgh (local as far as Stonehaven, thereafter parcels) and the stock from 4A40 returned on 7K81.

If your friend does know any more then that would also help but for the time being that's all the queries answered. Thanks again.

Having shown the loaded MGR moving coal away, it is only right that I should try and show the corresponding empty working. Here is 6V73 lead by 20 114 and 20 192 heading on the mainline towards Kingslaw Loading Facility with an empty MGR.

http://youtu.be/AHtOnMnNvPU

These services help set the context for the layout by placing it in the coal producing area of Fife, on the ECML.

I hope you enjoy

John

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a couple of my latest photos, suitably enhanced with some weather. I noticed that most of the ones I have done previously have blue skies. Now of course on the day that we have blue skies here everyone does rush outside to see if someone has stolen our clouds. So to add an extra dimension of accuracy I went and took some grey cloud pics. Anyway here is the result;

8141102314_57ea52eaf3_z.jpg

20213 leads a loaded MGR from the loading facility outside Kirkcaldy in to Balbeggie Sidings. It will then head to Thornton Yard before onward progress to its destination.

8141100528_5251fcc461_z.jpg

6K73 is the 14.22 Aberdeen Craiginches to Millerhill freight. Today with 47009 (HA) in charge.

J

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Linthorpe

Great thread, and indeed layout John.

Your extension out between your roof trusses has given me food for thought as I have a couple of posts in my way. I was thinking of keeping things skinny on the inside of them but having seen this thread I should be able to incorporate them into the boards and gain more depth.

Here are a few photos of some of the less prestigious services around Balbeggie Sidings?

One of the more mundane workings is the Kirkcaldy to Thornton Yard DMU. This is a service set that terminates at Kirkcaldy, then runs ECS to the Yard for servicing, before heading back to form a Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh service. Here is a MetCam 101 heading towards Kirkcaldy having been fuelled and serviced;

8239773558_1098998e62_z.jpg

37 108 sits in the loops at Balbeggie Siding having come off of the Rosyth Dockyard branch earlier in the day. It will head back to Thornton Yard once a clear path has been established for it;

8238723871_2acb2a0be1_z.jpg

Finally - the second loop is little used for through trains but it does allow shunting manoeuvres to take place and leave the main loop free. Here 26 031 is pulling clear from the sidings having shunted a couple of wagons into the small yard. It will also now head back to Thornton Yard for re-marshalling and servicing;

8239817090_9051dfefda_z.jpg

Cheers

John

• 1 year later...

Really love your layout .Just been looking through your photos and you've really captured the area and workings well .Wish I had that kind of space lol.

Just wondering what you used for ballast it looks really good.

Brian

Really love your layout .Just been looking through your photos and you've really captured the area and workings well .Wish I had that kind of space lol.

Just wondering what you used for ballast it looks really good.

Brian

Many thanks all for the supportive comments. I use Woodland Scenics extra fine ballast, which a lighter colour on the mainlines and a slightly darker on the sidings to represent older stone.

John

Archived