z21 Start experience. First impressions

My ESU ECoS 50200 had a display problem so i sent it in for repair.

Meanwhile i wanted a basic system that i could use until my ECoS returned..

so went for the z21 start (Basic) for £135 with a Router.

http://www.manchestermodelshop.co.uk/shop/roco-10825-z21-start-wifi-dcc-digital-control-system-unboxed-new/ 

downloaded the 2 z21 apps onto my iphone and manually added all locos which i have on a printed out sheet with all info. EASY.. 

Saved the file of loco list and sent it by E-mail to myself for my 2 iPads to import to the Apps. Very EASY.

After having track shorting problems with the z21 firmware version 1.28 i updated to version 1.32.. No more shorting problems..

It all runs perfectly using the Apple devices (iphone and old iPads) without needing to pay for a controller.. 

Of course this doesn't replace my ECoS but for the money this system is amazing !!

Just my 2cents.. And no i don't work for the shop i mentioned above.. :-) 

Nick 

Edited by 40034_Nick
  • Like 1

At the moment, I am 'split' between the old and new versions of the App (Android version) - because in the old version I can  load my pre-drawn track plan as an image, and simply add the points on top, but the new app is far better for the points and free-drawing of the track .... but I would prefer the ability to have a background image - initially for guidance in completing the drawing, but also able to add identifying features like platforms etc.

With a 'background' coming from a 2metre long micromimic in Zero-1 ... replaced by RR+Co/Rocomotion 'glass panel' track plans - with touch screen, I did not make any use of my Z21 until the LAN Multimauses became available .. I still prefer the dedicated single-handed controller with point status display - and a separate track plan screen (or screens) - but trying the new, then old versions of the apps now that I have a tablet  does reveal the attraction .. particularly with 'mixed make' functions - by using icons.

However, I still dislike the idea of flattening my phone battery to run the railway 8-)

love mine but wish the new app had the test function on the cvs

I have been in the software world for a long time and also a software Beta tester back in the day. Software companies always welcome new suggestions for new software releases. 

Just go onto this page http://www.z21.eu/en/FAQ-Support/Contact-Hotline and select contact form (Roco) and select "Model wish" under help topic. Explain your request very well for anyone to understand to avoid later e-mail ping pong. And upload screenshots or photos..

What is the Test Function on CVs you wish the new app had? I can do everything I need on the app and don’t understand what the test function is that you want, especially for CVs as these yiuvtwst these hen you apply them - if you don’t like the setting you can change back to the previous value?

Nick

What is your question or what problem are you trying to solve?

None.... !!  Please read the post chain..

Have a look at the section you've posted in though.

[Edit: I see the topic has now been moved to a more appropriate place]

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

What is the Test Function on CVs you wish the new app had? I can do everything I need on the app and don’t understand what the test function is that you want, especially for CVs as these yiuvtwst these hen you apply them - if you don’t like the setting you can change back to the previous value?

on the iold app when you selected a cv there was a button to push to test to see what it did and you could pick the best icon eg is it a low high horn or a single tone