Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry about the thread drift Chris!

No problem, it’s distracting me from thinking about how I’m going to lash up the hoss

I’ve been looking @Mikkel’s various blogs for inspiration but I’m not as talented and not sure how to make this

DBEF5026-DA65-4C7C-A6CF-BB5C6D2007B1.jpeg.06048565fd981c8a48a28045d4b43695.jpeg

look like this

DAD7264A-CE25-4A29-8BC6-F063A6AE7437.jpeg.a2b936b29584d8156e56bfede64b5358.jpeg

so I’m happy for the bog brush conversion to continue while I think about what/how to do it

• Like 9

You've already got most of the tack on that horse, the rope is attached to the hook or ring on one of the hames fixed to his collar, (the curved metal bars on his collar)  through the loop on his girth strap, i can't see how the rope is held up on the lazy strap in front of his hind leg to stop it falling around his feet, but it's probably another loop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You've already got most of the tack on that horse, the rope is attached to the hook or ring on one of the hames fixed to his collar, (the curved metal bars on his collar)  through the loop on his girth strap, i can't see how the rope is held up on the lazy strap in front of his hind leg to stop it falling around his feet, but it's probably another loop.

I did wonder if I’d get away with this

D5C26BAE-2E4E-4157-A2F7-59F6BAD6C16A.jpeg.6196c7e7e7f63b265b6e415719b5f28d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

That looks more like the rig for ploughing I'm afraid. I think the simplest way to do it is copy what's there. If you can't cut into the white metal of the harness enough, I'd make a bit of a groove, glue the wire 'rope' into the grooves and glue a tiny strip of paper over the top.

IMG_20230124_001038.jpg.ccfc8f0eb95c01d182a066ed848d60ff.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

If it helps Chris, these were the reference pics I had stashed on my phone for the same issue:

horse_pic_05-Enhanced.jpg

horse_pic_04b-Enhanced.jpg

horse_pic_02-Enhanced.jpg

I did wonder about trying to file representative rollers (not universally used, but commonly) into the white metal...but not for very long!

If I tackle this problem at all, it won't be for a long while so I look forward to following your lead!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

While you ponder over the hoss harness, by the way your last mock up looks good to me,

This week World of Railways are running a skills week and tomorrow there is a feature on modelling canal water. Might be a few tips to pick up. Today and tomorrow they are running features on scenic modelling 🌳 🐏

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Don't hate me...

...but...

...if doing anything to improve the harness for a towing rather than ploughing or carting rig, I wonder if it might be worth starting from a bare 'oss rather than modify the cast harness?

Paper-strip straps, 3D printed collar and tugs (with rollers) etc...?

Or, if getting another horse then perhaps look for a model which is closer to the mark? I note both my shirehorses have chain traces 'tugs' (which, if painted in the Rose and Castle vein could perhaps pass for rollers), and whilst one has a thick saddle and girth strap indicative of vertical loads, the other (in primer) doesn't:

20230124_104338.jpg.4254c7ff9e8a910eb858318d8070b4cf.jpg

From Dart Castings...oh, no, scrap that, found them. The point being it might be worth shopping around.

Or...don't worry about it and move on!

Edited by Schooner
Updated to match, hopefully, the terms in Rob's dia
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Don't hate me...

...but...

...if doing anything to improve the harness for a towing rather than ploughing or carting rig, I wonder if it might be worth starting from a bare 'oss rather than modify the cast harness?

Paper-strip straps, 3D printed collar and tugs (with rollers) etc...?

Or, if getting another horse then perhaps look for a model which is closer to the mark? I note both my shirehorses have chain traces 'tugs' (which, if painted in the Rose and Castle vein could perhaps pass for rollers), and whilst one has a thick saddle and girth strap indicative of vertical loads, the other (in primer) doesn't:

20230124_104338.jpg.4254c7ff9e8a910eb858318d8070b4cf.jpg

From Dart Castings...oh, no, scrap that, found them. The point being it might be worth shopping around.

Or...don't worry about it and move on!

I don't hate anyone that offers their help or suggestions beforehand

I must admit when I first decided to model a canal I didn't expect I'd be filing and sanding a hoss 🤣

I think the ones from Langley would have probably been a better choice in hindsight 

I wasn't sure if the colourful rose and castle type 'chains' were just a modern decorative thing as I was going to leave mine black

At the moment I'm trying to find a clear photo of the towing post (?) that the rope attaches too on top of the narrowboat

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I must admit when I first decided to model a canal I didn't expect I'd be filing and sanding a hoss 🤣

Who does?! I'm afraid that's why I've always planned to have static poses - anything else is too hard!

36 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

...just a modern decorative thing...

My assumption too, but there's 50 years between our layouts, and the tradition does go back a fair way. Shy of any extra info, I'll do some digging to see what was prevalent where and when :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Schooner said:

I'll toss this in, for what it's worth.

Why not stick the horse in front of a cart- there's a good example on Little Muddle. Or grazing on the grass waiting to be hitched back up to a cart which is being emptied.

You could then have barge with an engine or if your still hankering look at a different horse.

Just some thoughts that's all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

At the moment I'm trying to find a clear photo of the towing post (?) that the rope attaches too on top of the narrowboat

Have a look at :

or

Nice close up about 2:30 in

basically a wooden post about 4" square with a metal "finger" on top that a loop in the end of the tow rope drops over.

Two important things.  The tow rope will be long, otherwise either the boat gets pulled into the bank all the time, or the hoss ends up swiming.  Secondly, to counteract the tendency to pull the bow in, the mast is set about a quarter of the way back.  If towing with another boat, then there is not problem towing from the bow.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'd say that's a yes. 'Oss has scrubbed up well.

Thanks Rob, he’s got a groove in his shoulder from drilling the hole but that has served as a support for the rod so you can’t see it with the rod in place

I’m contemplating using very fine chain, dipped in glue and left to hang/dry straight or simply paint stripes on the nickel silver rod…I’ll try a few different options.

I might struggle to get the other side to line up but it’s out of sight should it go Pete Tong on the opposite side

• RMweb Gold

Still trying ideas for attaching the spreader bar (or whatever it’s called)

So here is a single chain link connected with a fine wire and treaded through a tiny brass tube

1498DCD1-9395-42AB-AEF5-6200015D73EF.jpeg.ef13220f2508c9d89999f7aa89b56725.jpeg

A1D9D24B-3B40-460A-BF5A-55E324B14916.jpeg.93750c0a8e7871f1a41daaf498ab4f37.jpeg

It’s too long but just testing the principle, I’m open to other ideas or suggestions 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Really mad suggestion; could you cut the tube into short sections to represent the wooden rollers (?) and introduce a slight curve to the wire?

As it is, it looks too straight to my eye - the horse’s harnesses in Schooners first photo isn’t being pulled dead straight (taut) even though the horse is actually pulling. Your horse looks to be ambling along rather than pulling hard, so I’d expect the harness to be straightish (with a slight curve to the tow rope), but not “taut straight” as if he was putting all his effort in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1