• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

especially when you’ve waited 10 hrs for a print only to find an error 

The modern china clay wagon I printed last weekend was a 36 hour print, which ended up with two supports too close to the detail they were supporting breaking one part on removal.   Strangely enough i repaired it rather than printing again.

Very frustrating when you get a failure after a long print!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sjrixon said:

Sorry, you lost me... 

The male of the species is stereotyped by trying to get something to work or go together without reading the instructions first.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

A full tool board?  No one has half inched the half-inch Whitworth spanner  - the second most needed tool after a big 'ammer in one place I worked - every fitter had at least a couple in their tool bag but there never any in the workshop. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ponthir28 said:

Shadow boards seem like a good idea. But tools always got borrowed and never returned. Well where I worked.

Last place I worked it was always 14mm spanners that disappeared - The MD's view was that if this was the worst of any carelessness or pilfering, then buying half a dozen spanners every now and again was worth it to keep the very skilled and honest engineers (whose personal toolkits could be worth thousands) happy.  Drop your wallet and it would be returned intact - a 14mm spanner would disappear for ever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

At Warren Fred the Fitter has OCD and is very particular about putting tools back in the correct place and has a strict policy of not borrowing his tools, as Alan the Apprentice soon found out (now Alan at ASDA)

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

Last place I worked it was always 14mm spanners that disappeared - The MD's view was that if this was the worst of any carelessness or pilfering, then buying half a dozen spanners every now and again was worth it to keep the very skilled and honest engineers (whose personal toolkits could be worth thousands) happy.  Drop your wallet and it would be returned intact - a 14mm spanner would disappear for ever.

That's because 14mm is almost exactly 5/8ths and will work for both imperial and metric bolts.  

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Sorry, (He said, straightening his oil stained anorak...) It's close to 9/16"AF and a cheap 14mm socket can be bashed onto a rounded off 5/16" Whitworth.

16mm is close to 5/8" and 18mm, (Which Vauxhall / Opel favoured for steering and suspension.) is a near perfect fit on 3/8" Whit.

I used to know someone who claimed to be able to work on classic bikes but had no WW/BSF spanners as "metric was close enough".

I realised that I had no competition there...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry, (He said, straightening his oil stained anorak...) It's close to 9/16"AF and a cheap 14mm socket can be bashed onto a rounded off 5/16" Whitworth.

16mm is close to 5/8" and 18mm, (Which Vauxhall / Opel favoured for steering and suspension.) is a near perfect fit on 3/8" Whit.

I used to know someone who claimed to be able to work on classic bikes but had no WW/BSF spanners as "metric was close enough".

I realised that I had no competition there...

Similarly 13mm and 1/2"AF are pretty close, in a pinch... 13mm seems to be a very common size on a lot of the cars I've worked on.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

14mm spanners

Yes! Well 13mm round this neck of the woods but a definite preference shown. And 5mm Hex-heads. I assumed it was just one of those things, like the Laundry Sock Monster... (and took to keeping 4mm and 5mm Allens in my belt kit)

Edited by Schooner
New post below was meant to be an edit of this one, sorry for the extra clutter!
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

At work I use an adjustable draughtsman’s spanner! it works on metric or imperial bolts 🤪

IMG_9190.jpeg.9f8865d5137b0c6cd5f8b12d47d1748e.jpeg

Can also double as a hammer for light applications and a paper weight, a very versatile tool!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

3 minutes ago, Schooner said:

*shudder*

Exactly.

I do have some metric tools (Metric is actually a British invention that pre-dates machine made imperial bolts.) as I've owned assorted German and French vehicles.

They're now mostly used to remove spurious nuts and bolts from allegedly "restored" British motorcycles.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Considering the US officially adopted metric in 1976 or so, working on American cars from that timeframe is fun.   My '85 Chevy truck had three different sizes on the bleeders, two metric and one SAE.

In re the shed, looking very good.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I noticed that when helping a friend dismantle a Z28 Camaro to drop the running gear into a '33 Ford roadster. It was a bit of a head scratcher having been used to 40s and 50s Buicks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

At work I use an adjustable draughtsman’s spanner! it works on metric or imperial bolts 🤪

IMG_9190.jpeg.9f8865d5137b0c6cd5f8b12d47d1748e.jpeg

Can also double as a hammer for light applications and a paper weight, a very versatile tool!

If we hadn't have cremated him my dear old dad would be spinning in his grave right now.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

If we hadn't have cremated him my dear old dad would be spinning in his grave right now.

Regards Lez.

Likewise, mine didn't like people using adjustable spanners either.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise, mine didn't like people using adjustable spanners either.

As an engineer adjustable spanners do have their uses

I have one of these at home....

Untitled.png.a019c7a04b56c0f7386be882087b24b6.png

....a locking adjustable, its actually very good

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3