• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

….This proves that you're good at both kinds of CAD too - computer and cardboard!

Thank you

’Cardboard Aided Design’ and advanced tool making

7B5B95AC-450A-436A-B225-2817A713A883.thumb.jpeg.c95ac597cd0e851fb553e0102ecd015e.jpeg

BF42829B-B8BC-4959-AE98-2B498D309221.thumb.jpeg.8ec8402c74f39f66f95d6684aad20efe.jpeg

91F89852-6B93-4B3B-9F68-8726454916D7.thumb.jpeg.d122d3b51316b3232bc6a5e4f13919ad.jpeg

🤣

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'll second Nick's comments. Once you have the foundation and the main parts of the track sorted, it's a case of whatever parts you have the time, money, materials or inspiration for. 

That's my excuse for my thread bouncing all over the place, but in mitigation, I have a fair bit of help(?) with the drifts. Most of which I really don't mind, given the amount of useful input and constructive criticism I have received.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'll second Nick's comments. Once you have the foundation and the main parts of the track sorted, it's a case of whatever parts you have the time, money, materials or inspiration for. 

That's my excuse for my thread bouncing all over the place, but in mitigation, I have a fair bit of help(?) with the drifts. Most of which I really don't mind, given the amount of useful input and constructive criticism I have received.

Mrs Peel to you Rob.

29 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Mrs Peel to you Rob.

I think you'll find that was started by Mr Enodoc .

Which was an extension of your (and others) earlier request for more ladies with guns....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Good to see you back modelling again, Chuffers. I take it the lurgy has abated?

thank you, yes as of today I’m testing negative and I’m feeling much better although I appear to be getting tired easily…even just cutting up cardboard 😯

So back to work tomorrow now I’m unlikely to infect anyone particularly with a couple of members of staff being classed as vulnerable….I just wish our receptionist was as thoughtful instead of spreading her germs about the place

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

thank you, yes as of today I’m testing negative and I’m feeling much better although I appear to be getting tired easily…even just cutting up cardboard 😯

So back to work tomorrow now I’m unlikely to infect anyone particularly with a couple of members of staff being classed as vulnerable….I just wish our receptionist was as thoughtful instead of spreading her germs about the place

The fatigue will stay with you for a bit, Chris. I got over the cold like symptoms of my second brush with COVID quite quickly but remained bloody jaded for a while afterwards. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Missed a P
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I think that "bloody jaded" is the best description of post covid lethargy that I've heard so far.

Captain Blackadder: "How are you feeling George?"

Lieutenant George St. C: "A trifle bloody jaded sir..."

KBO old fruit, it does wear off eventually!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We're having a discussion about working sash windows on the Midland Railway Co. thread Chris.

Could you 3D print working sash windows in 4 and 7 mm out of nylon?

Regards Lez

• Funny 1

Don't forget the removable staff and  parting beads, working pulleys and cam locks....😜

I have a copy of the 1904 joinery standards which has the necessary drawings and details of the wedged and tenoned joints on the sashes if you need it.... 

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes thank you Wolfy!

Of course you do! I knew you would!!!

If not you then someone else would but my money was on you mate.

I don't want the weights and cords or even the pullies I just want to know if they can be made to move up and down.

Regards Lez

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

What you could actually do with is a plastic strip approximately a scale four inches by three inches with two scale 1.5 inch wide by 0.8 inch deep grooves that are a scale 0.3 inches apart.

That way you could make up any size sash frame and cut your sliding sashes (by hand or silhouette perhaps) any size and pane configuration.

Build the frame, spring the sashes into the grooves and voila.

Don't forget that box sashes are fitted from the inside and the aperture is half a brick wider on each side on the inner leaf of bricks.

See, I wasn't entirely taking the p....

IMG_20220712_161809.thumb.jpg.8caf70348d8e9b1366f85f66d5a77af9.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

We're having a discussion about working sash windows on the Midland Railway Co. thread Chris.

Regards Lez

I used a silhouette cutter to make sash windows for my railway terrace on Grindleford, I cut the outer and inner frame, upper and lower sashes and a filler strip as separate items out of 10thou Styrene sheet and then joined them together to make a complete window. This gave me the opportunity to model them open or closed:

grindleford-railway-terrace058.jpg.bb20119ebdbfc7ea28b818f15e20c5fc.jpg

Al.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez

I imagine I could but it would be a photopolymer resin not nylon so they would be extremely brittle

• RMweb Gold

The sash itself would be strengthened by the glazing material wouldn't it? It's the frame they slide up and down in I was thinking about.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

The sash itself would be strengthened by the glazing material wouldn't it? It's the frame they slide up and down in I was thinking about.

Regards Lez.

I could take a look at it if you have any dimensions and/or picture of what you require

• RMweb Gold

To remove the end section I need to access two thumb screws, the front one however was potentially going to interfere with the embankment….

106F6F6E-00DF-456D-8B6D-864AD47BB1D5.thumb.jpeg.25824bcb5773cfb766479dfab16c2ccf.jpeg

….so whilst playing with cardboard I had an idea, why not use some hardboard?….

B9778722-FC6F-4A88-9018-6060291F4C5C.thumb.jpeg.71ba7d83d5e9ea279f759de2c96bb4df.jpeg

….giving more than enough access….

49E36A9A-2CAF-47DA-8880-2B57DD02460B.thumb.jpeg.148467589fa4f7e9233d55b6304cf894.jpeg

….and it saves messing about with polystyrene and plaster?

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I did much the same with the embankment on my layout, used bits of old picture frame  backings, same thing for the land formers. It was cheaper to buy six rather nasty old picture frames from the charity shop than buy a sheet of hardboard that was a bit too thick anyway.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of having another cutting near to the goods shed for loading and unloading goods to/from the canal/railway

but I don’t know if it’s feasible or prototypical. Excuse the rough sketch 

46D04F25-21DE-434E-930D-A1A22DF22976.thumb.jpeg.99fe5730c707f35c737da9eba785449d.jpeg

or like this?

B57061EF-D58B-4906-9F1D-EDB48B557ED9.thumb.jpeg.0aa884dc51d07f97522c029476c56fbb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

This stands by the canal near Bolton. It was used to transfer goods from the canal at high level down into a mill yard.

There used to be a white metal kit available for this.

1200px-Mbb_canal_steam_crane_sion.jpg.29e623b3f30113a810a0563e8efc1345.jpg

A prototype for everything and I don't see why you couldn't have an arrangement like that.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This stands by the canal near Bolton. It was used to transfer goods from the canal at high level down into a mill yard.

There used to be a white metal kit available for this.

1200px-Mbb_canal_steam_crane_sion.jpg.29e623b3f30113a810a0563e8efc1345.jpg

A prototype for everything and I don't see why you couldn't have an arrangement like that.

What do you think about the wriggly tin loading shed?

• Like 1