RMweb

How do you fit wheels/bearings to 3D printed wagons ?

How are the 3D printed wagons designed to take wheels/bearings ? The sole bars are already part of the chassis. In the wagon below from Shapeways, it is probably just a push fit like any Hornby or Bachmann wagon with no bearings required but I am not sure about other wagon chassis by other makers.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCFQCJUQX/gwr-cordon-part-7-chassis?optionId=62578762&li=marketplace

Edited by brian777999

• RMweb Premium

On the model you've linked to it looks to me like it doesn't need bearings, it's designed to accept pin point axles. It's only available in Nylon, which shouldn't wear.

On most models if you want to fit bearings you will have to drill out a hole for them. It's hard to incorporate a hole large enough for them in the design without compromising wall thickness of the axlebox.

Tim is right, of course - you should contact the designer.

But as Nile says, it looks as though it doesn't need separate bearings (the wheels are mentioned under "To complete the wagon...." but bearings are not).

For what it's worth, I can offer my experience. I've used the same plastic and the same wheels for an experimental 3D printed tender. The design simply has conical holes on the inside of the axle boxes, and the wheels slipped in with no trouble at all, just as they do on the Hornby wagons.

It was only an experiment, and I wasn't really expecting it to work very well. But in fact (after a bit of initial stiffness) the wheels have been turning extremely easily.

Since the wheels bedded in so nicely I expected (I am a professional pessimist) that they would soon wear their holes into something with excessive play. But so far this has not been the case - everything is fine.

Cheers

Tom