RMweb

1:76 kit for Class 66?

Your best bet may be to start with the Atlas Editions static model (I say static, the bogies swivel, and the wheels turn, but they don't hold the track very well!). 

For some reason it doesn't seem to be possible to order direct from Atlas Editions at the moment, but I found one (the seller has three!) for £17.50 plus free shipping here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132458469281  - the cheapest I could find.

I have seen one in the flesh and it seems to be a pretty close copy of a Bachmann one, albeit with more moulded detail, and even has tension-lock coupling loops moulded on!

Edited by Skinnylinny

Thanks for the info, Skinnylinny and Compton 33 - I tried all sorts of search strings but either ended up on eBay or Hattons announcing their new model!

I will grab an Atlas Editions model from Hattons and see what exactly gives - shame they're not in GBrF livery as will need a repaint... will need seven for what I have in mind; wonder if would be possible to create a resin "master" to be able to produce a batch of resin cast versions?

Will also investigate replacement wheels to improve the ride.

Thanks again!

Steve s

Steve -

Casting resin versions would cost you more than the twelve pounds each .................

Emma

Thanks for that heads up, Emma! I'll see how it looks when it arrives, but my big issue is weight ... a non-powered, lightweight dummy is what I'm really after (all plastic construction?). I have an older Lima class 59 which I'm playing about with, and have noticed the non-powered bogie is entirely plastic... toyed with the idea of getting a second plastic bogie to reduce weight still further as an experiment, but as I ultimately want to have the 59 powered it seemed a bit pointless!

Steve

Edited by SteveyDee68

I know someone who is fitting Hornby 66 bodies to one of these to make it a dummy. I'll try and get some photos once it's done.

Just a point to remember is this is of a tier 2 (?) / Low emissions 66. So can't be used to represent the 'Toton 10'.

Can you tell me what wheels they are using, please? Would save me hours of searching!

Sorry to be dim, but what do you mean by the "Teton 10"? My "inspiration" was of class 66 locos being unloaded off ships onto the dockside and I think these were the last batch delivered so probably would be low emission locomotives.

Steve

my big issue is weight ... a non-powered, lightweight dummy is what I'm really after (all plastic construction?). I have an older Lima class 59 which I'm playing about with, and have noticed the non-powered bogie is entirely plastic... toyed with the idea of getting a second plastic bogie to reduce weight still further as an experiment, but as I ultimately want to have the 59 powered it seemed a bit pointless!...

A DIY swapsie option: obtain Bach class 66 decorated the way you want it, strip the Bach mechanism bare, dress with the Lima bogie frames and other underframe tackle and transplant into the Lima 59 body. Make up two six wheel bogies from kit parts and create a simple frame to mount them as the basis of a free rolling and light unpowered chassis for the Bachmann 66 body and external underframe parts. Sell the Lima mechanism parts left over as spares to slightly reduce the total cost.

Can you tell me what wheels they are using, please? Would save me hours of searching!

Sorry to be dim, but what do you mean by the "Teton 10"? My "inspiration" was of class 66 locos being unloaded off ships onto the dockside and I think these were the last batch delivered so probably would be low emission locomotives.

Steve

Hi Steve, no problem. He is using the Hornby axles that come with the bogie assembly. Can't remember the part number but it'll be on the Hornby service sheet.

Ah it won't be a problem then. The 10 I was referring to are the 10 GBRF have just bought 2nd hand from DB

Nothing wrong with rattle cans if you're careful with them and careful with the masking. If anything, this is probably a better chance to give it a go than potentially messing up on an expensive loco! Personally, I started out spraying Lego bricks made into weird shapes with spray cans to get the hang of it as they were free - I have loads of them lying about! Just remember to start with lighter colours and work towards darker ones.

Hi Steve, no problem. He is using the Hornby axles that come with the bogie assembly. Can't remember the part number but it'll be on the Hornby service sheet.

Ah it won't be a problem then. The 10 I was referring to are the 10 GBRF have just bought 2nd hand from DB

Hi - thanks for the response Wild Boar Fell... I obviously didn't read your original post properly or I would have realised you said he was using the full chassis!

The actual Atlas model is very good for £12 and as mentioned is pretty darn close to the Bachman model albeit mostly mounded details. Skinnylinny's post about them not holding the track very well is spot on, because the back to back on the wheels is greater than needed for OO track - maybe they'll sit on EM track? I'm investigating as to whether I can reduce the back to backs, rather than pay out for more wheels, as the actual wheel profiles seem okay.

The other thing is the bogies - they are screwed on damn tight! More investigation there to see if I can get a rolling chassis - if I can then I can experiment with towing it!

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi - thanks for the response Wild Boar Fell... I obviously didn't read your original post properly or I would have realised you said he was using the full chassis!

The actual Atlas model is very good for £12 and as mentioned is pretty darn close to the Bachman model albeit mostly mounded details. Skinnylinny's post about them not holding the track very well is spot on, because the back to back on the wheels is greater than needed for OO track - maybe they'll sit on EM track? I'm investigating as to whether I can reduce the back to backs, rather than pay out for more wheels, as the actual wheel profiles seem okay.

The other thing is the bogies - they are screwed on damn tight! More investigation there to see if I can get a rolling chassis - if I can then I can experiment with towing it!

Cheers

Bought 3 of these to see what can be done.

First thing you notice is how plain the chassis and bogies look and how high it sits on those bogies.

There is no fine detail such as pipe runs and some bits haven't even been moulded. So no bogie or chassis steps for the doors or handrails. The missing handrails kept drawing my eye to the front end where something just didn't look right. I thought it was just the missing Handrail or the fact the lower Light clusters or upper headlight looked not quite right, until I noticed that the cab roof overhang is way to short above the cab windows. Shame really otherwise it looks pretty good and the paint job is very well done.. 

The other issue is that they use a triangular screw to hold the loco to the tray, and again for the keeper plates (2 in each bogie ) which when removed gives you access to the bogie screw.

Once loosened it will allow enough up/down and side to side flex to run over my Peco code 75 track. But only after you have also replaced the wheels.

The wheels are plastic on metal axles and are pretty awful not running true so thought I would replace with some 14mm Romfords  I have. The original axles are pretty skinny and run in slots inside the bogie (Hornby 4-VEP Style) so they need widening a touch. Plastic is pretty soft so I used a chisel blade which done the job. You have to remove the pin points if fitting this way as they will rub on the inside of the bogie frame unless you restrict side to side movement with axle washers. I left the height alone to start with as my 4 year old couldn't wait to run it. Nor could my 15 year old Godson! But lowering it will make a difference to how it looks as it sits on tip toes. 

I have ran it in double headed and top and tail mode after doing the bogie mods which improved the running but it needs a LOT of work adding the missing details to bring it up to match the current Bachmann model, but even though it has its faults its bloody good value for £12.99 and an excellent way to get a cheap 5 door 66 for the depot or to run as a dead loco.

The best thing about this for me though is that for people starting out with little to no skills, what an excellent way to learn how to modify, super detail a loco and build your skills up. For this alone its worth its weight in Gold.

Nice one Atlas

Cheers Trailrage

• Agree 1

• 4 years later...

Replaced the wheels with metal coach wheels (14mm?) which cost more from my local model shop than the loco did! Loosened bogies and it runs nicely - good as a dummy loco.

Of course, Sod’s Law says that at some point I have dropped it as one of the buffers is missing! Don’t like the idea of spending yet more train tokens on replacement buffers (if I do one, I’d need to do all four!!) for a static loco!

Was thinking I could use it on DRS Engineering, being “dead” and pushed around by a sentinel shunter, but it is so bl@@dy long it won’t fit in the headshunt solo, let alone be shunted by another loco!

The layout idea kind of fizzled away with the disappearance of the ATLAS models, as other options were/are more expensive!

Steve S

• Like 1