Oh woe is me! The plebeians rise up! A flippant line spake in ribald humour doth return to bite me upon the posterior region. I shall in future quoth not in comedy and shall endure the truly dullest and most stoic layout thread known to gentlemen, ladies or patrons of rest rooms, whomsoever they may be.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I don't know why, but "train station" always sounds rather preschool to me.

Although logical, as with bus station (as I'm sure someone will point out) it just sounds like a dumbed down term designed for someone who isn't sufficiently educated to know what a railway is and would probably get all offended if you tried to explain it.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

'swooning and rest rooms'

If there isn't a brace of these provided at Birchoverham Market I shall be forced to lodge a formal complaint!

Martin, it's really great to see track going down - and I love those long shots putting everything in perspective. It's some station! Top-dressed ballasting I've found fairly simple (with either chinchilla dust or DAS clay) on my little wharf, so I think you'll be able to hide the sleepers effectively. Also simply removed if PECO pull their thumbs out socks up and deliver you some Medium BH turnouts in the future.

Having had a bit of a dip this year (well, crash, really, with a slow and unsteady clamber out of the hole an ongoing project), my sympathies; and my shared eyeroll at James' momentary lapse of tact!

I wish you joy of your progress, looking forward to more :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Don't the ladies need to find a chaise longue to faint dramatically onto?

Or is it the exertion of hunting for the aforementioned furniture whilst trussed up in a whalebone corset that turns what would have been momentary dizziness into a full on loss of consciousness?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know why, but "train station" always sounds rather preschool to me.

'Train Station' is a name invented by linguistic primitives. 

Edited by Annie
Mea culpa.......
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Annie said:

'Train Station' is an Americanism which is about what you'd expect from such a nation of linguistic primitives. 

Steady on, Annie: that’s bordering on sweeping offence.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Steady on, Annie: that’s bordering on sweeping offence.

Sigh, - yes you are right.  I should be more careful about what I post when I'm having a bad day with CFS.

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Annie said:

'Train Station' is a name invented by linguistic primitives. 

To me it sounds so puerile, a sort of baby language; a 'train station' is where you see 'choo-choo trains'.

'Rest Room' is a cringy and ultimately absurd euphemism resulting from somewhat prudish side of US culture.  I fear its adoption here.

I may be wrong, and perhaps a little petty and certainly a bit rude, to point out inconsistent and inappropriate labels but this is not a North American layout with passenger depots, freight and engine houses.  Thankfully labels won't be visible when the layout is built and the provocation to pedantry will covered over in due course!

In the meantime, I must remember my medication and 'get out more'!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

'Rest Room' is a cringy and ultimately absurd euphemism resulting from somewhat prudish side of US culture. 

In Victorian times in some parts of London at least it was referred to as 'the necessary' which I've always thought was both polite and practical without being daft about it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Linguistic primitives? I like that, probably won't get to use it in public though! 

It's a good job that it's fashionable amongst certain parts of society, those who see themselves as our self appointed moral guardians, to dislike America and Americans, anywhere else and you'd be accused of xenophobia....😆

I worked over there for a while, some of the most down to earth, friendly and generous people I've ever met.

They moan about their government as much as we do ours!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Linguistic primitives? I like that, probably won't get to use it in public though! 

It's a good job that it's fashionable amongst certain parts of society, those who see themselves as our self appointed moral guardians, to dislike America and Americans, anywhere else and you'd be accused of xenophobia....😆

I worked over there for a while, some of the most down to earth, friendly and generous people I've ever met.

Quite.

Very nice people, very awful politicians!

• Agree 1

Splendid people. That fraternal regard does not, however, necessarily equate to willing acceptance of the wholesale adoption of Americanisms. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Splendid people. That fraternal regard does not, however, necessarily equate to willing acceptance of the wholesale adoption of Americanisms. 

You betcha!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Don't the ladies need to find a chaise longue to faint dramatically onto?

Mention of such activities always reminds of that scene in "Titanic". Sadly none of *that* will be happening at Nether Madder either, more's the pity.

Edited by Martin S-C
Edit: Added an apostrophe in "more's" which I think is correct.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Thankfully labels won't be visible when the layout is built and the provocation to pedantry will covered over in due course!

I shall absolutely furnish the relevant doors of the RAILWAY station(*) facilities with the requisite and correct miniature signage at the appropriate time. And the silver lining is I now know who to turn to in order to get it correct.

(*) or RAILWAY TERMINUS to give it it's more correct functional and operational title when the little continuous-run-facilitating-board across the doorway is not in use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Not at all, plus the Americans are quite fond of our "Englishnesses" and probably more supportive of our traditions than we are.

• RMweb Gold

Not at all, plus the Americans are quite fond of our "Englishnesses" and probably more supportive of our traditions than we are.

They certainly have more reverence for Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, Chaucer and Shakespeare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Regularity said:

They certainly have more reverence for Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, Chaucer and Shakespeare.

We have a few nutters who think Magna Carta has never been superceded as well...

I have encountered a few Americans who are not fans of our monarchy though, one even calling Her Majesty a "tyrant", a word used to describe George III during that unhappy divorce during the 1770s and 1780s. Mind you the use of that word only reveals how clueless that one person was about our constitutional monarchy.

On the other hand the wonderful Americans I've met far outnumber the less... "fully mentally engaged" ones I have had the amusement to encounter. So on the whole a wonderful race of ex-Europeans :)

Moving swiftly on and desperately trying to encompass Dutch cheese, Ardennes paté and railway modelling in the same sentence we are now about to embark on a most relaxing mild spring Thursday evening of railway modelling. Le cork sheet rolls est arrivé, the doors and windows are flung open, the sun is westering, the kitties are keeping me company and I shall crack on. After supper, of course.

Dsc07799.jpg.7cd5b841d938608cec99154bab618ec7.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
Edit: It's Thursday, not Friday! My brain is a day out of kilter, damnit!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

The term 'train station' has its origins in Victorian Great Britain, not America.

At least they had the good sense to stop using it early in the piece and use 'Railway Station' instead.  As for engine drivers now being called train drivers if anyone had told my grandad that he was a train driver he would have given them a thick ear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, Annie said:

At least they had the good sense to stop using it early in the piece and use 'Railway Station' instead.  As for engine drivers now being called train drivers if anyone had told my grandad that he was a train driver he would have given them a thick ear.

Back in the day, they drove proper engines (or locomotives if you prefer).  Nowadays there are no passenger locomotives for them to drive, just trains!  ☹️

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, Annie said:

As for engine drivers now being called train drivers if anyone had told my grandad that he was a train driver he would have given them a thick ear.

Indeed. In the golden age of trainspotting which was probably the late 50s to the late 60s, all the little lads wanted to be "engine drivers" and not "train drivers."

But language is a fluid creature and is always changing, never fixed. Shakespeare himself is said to have invented some words in his plays and I expect the low-lifes down in the pit below the stage at the Globe probably thought he was talking rubbish and making stuff up!

• Like 2