• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Le cork sheet rolls est arrivé

Les cork sheet rolls sont arrivé, vraimont?

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Indeed. In the golden age of trainspotting which was probably the late 50s to the late 60s, all the little lads wanted to be "engine drivers" and not "train drivers."

But language is a fluid creature and is always changing, never fixed. Shakespeare himself is said to have invented some words in his plays and I expect the low-lifes down in the pit below the stage at the Globe probably thought he was talking rubbish and making stuff up!

Richard III springs immediately to mind. In fact most of his so called "histories" would come under fantasy fiction these days.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jwealleans said:

If we're picking at les lentes, it should be 'vraiment'.

Ah, touché!

(If you had seen the mangling of French that autocorrect correct had made of some attempted responses, you would see that typo as quite mild.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2022 at 08:18, Annie said:

In Victorian times in some parts of London at least it was referred to as 'the necessary' which I've always thought was both polite and practical without being daft about it.

It wasn't necessary in the days of the crinoline, which allowed women to obtain relief in public with some discretion. The rise of the department store, with its facilities for ladies, and the decline of the crinoline, are intimately linked. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks to Miss T, I'm fairly well up on crinolines*, but this video takes my knowledge to new depths.

* Miss T favours an asymmetrical 1860s design**

** Quite an extensive and interesting 'dressing up box' has evolved at Edwardian Towers.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks to Miss T, I'm fairly well up on crinolines*, but this video takes my knowledge to new depths.

* Miss T favours an asymmetrical 1860s design**

** Quite an extensive and interesting 'dressing up box' has evolved at Edwardian Towers.

When my elder daughter was about 10, she did a school project on the Victorians. My parents happened to be staying at the time. You can imagine the general amusement when she asked my mother "Nan, what was it like to wear a crinoline?".

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Oh, I don't know...

Gosh. I'm not sure how to react to that. It could vary from the demure and sociably elegant to the downright risqué and X rated.

Anyhow, over in sunny Peterborough (and boy has it been sunny!) we have a new Superintendent of Works.

Dsc07845.jpg.95c9145874ffff726a6e6b879691ac5f.jpg

That is one superintendent of whom I would not wish to fall foul!   Was he/she a sergeant major in a former life?

Jim

• Funny 1

She is just a huge softy. Timid as a mouse. That evil look is all bark no bite. Her name is Pepsi. Her sister is Skye. Pepsi always hangs around me everywhere I go, hence her supervisory role in the railway room. Skye is a real tomboy and always off in the next doors garden somewhere up to no good.

Dsc06863.jpg.e609edc37c63af1e447e299e56c9dddc.jpg

Dsc06941.jpg.8cff4326f592fb1572cdfe3c2868c00a.jpg

Fun.jpg.87da9552bc19d6043dae25c00038cb5f.jpg

Permission.jpg.d47bc8ce801f2b166e641314c40787b8.jpg

• Like 14

Cats seem to be the masters of disapproving black looks, even if their faces are basically orange.

030009e3.jpg.2a57007fc02816ce475751fab9e5cf14.jpg

This is my friend's cat Charlie, who despite the fact that he's somewhere around seventeen, is rarely still long enough to be photographed. Even then, he's clearly not impressed.

• Like 5

Red cat at dawn, mousey be warned.

Looking good for his age.

Today's progress so far. 3mm cork sheet laid under the platform tracks and I am now switching to DCC Concepts 3mm foam sheet for the station throat. Good heavens this stuff is a delight to work with - so much easier to cut than cork.

Dsc07852.thumb.jpg.0cf0ba080324b5675d48ea911d7c5264.jpg

Dsc07854.thumb.jpg.eb85208d79276c32653637c2b7fe9506.jpg

Dsc07855.thumb.jpg.f04dd60ffe7c343cb6ab4112a44b62f7.jpg

However I have a question to ask for those who've attempted this before. I don't want to have any sheeting under the goods yard, the carriage sidings or the loco shed area so that these tracks will be a scale 9" below the running lines and platform roads. The loco shed kickback is approached by a longish road so that is easy to support down the short grade. The issue is having the turnouts that give access to the goods yard and carriage sidings on an incline which is obviously not ideal. Would you recommend sloping a turnout (even though its only 3mm over its length of 8 3/4" - so 1 in 74) or do you recommend keeping the turnouts at the level of the main line and only dropping the sidings themselves. In the final picture I've outlined in red the area where the dropped tracks are.

I could also drop the point on the left where the yellow arrow is so that only 2 points are on a gradient - the single lead into the goods yard and the one into the carriage sidings.

Dsc07856.thumb.jpg.7232bb28d19812640fc642820cda07ab.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Would you recommend sloping a turnout (even though its only 3mm over its length of 8 3/4" - so 1 in 74) or do you recommend keeping the turnouts at the level of the main line and only dropping the sidings themselves.

Keep the pointwork level. End of story.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Progress of a sort. Although you would be forgiven for thinking it was an explosion in the permanent way stores. Oh, and some soup tins. The red box indicates where I've shifted a crossover 90mm towards the stop blocks so I can have a 1 in 30 drop from the running line to the goods yard. The goods loop capacity test of a couple of days ago indicated I could lose a wagon length here without adverse impact. I'll add another of these 90mm drops at the entrance to the carriage sidings.

I had quite forgotten how therapeutic track laying is. The hours simply fly by. I regret more than ever now sitting on my rear end for a year and pontificating over making a start on this.

Dsc07892.jpg.578523f2609e25234fac80fd39448d23.jpg

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Progress of a sort. Although you would be forgiven for thinking it was an explosion in the permanent way stores. Oh, and some soup tins. The red box indicates where I've shifted a crossover 90mm towards the stop blocks so I can have a 1 in 30 drop from the running line to the goods yard. The goods loop capacity test of a couple of days ago indicated I could lose a wagon length here without adverse impact. I'll add another of these 90mm drops at the entrance to the carriage sidings.

I had quite forgotten how therapeutic track laying is. The hours simply fly by. I regret more than ever now sitting on my rear end for a year and pontificating over making a start on this.

Dsc07892.jpg.578523f2609e25234fac80fd39448d23.jpg

Do you mean that the track descends by 3mm in the length of the red box? That implies that there is a sharp angle at the beginning and end of the gradient. I understand why you want the sidings lower than the main line but I think this will lead to unreliable (or. to be more emphatic, reliably poor) operation.

• Like 1