The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tour de France 2018-19

EddieB

The intermediate sprint points usually go to the first 15 riders who cross that particular line on the course. If your team member is in the lead of the points race (Green Jersey), but there is a breakaway of 15 riders which he has failed to get into, if any of your team are in the break they will try to win the sprint to prevent rivals for the jersey from getting those points. 

Three week stage race cycling is a very complex sport, with so many subtleties of team tactics for all the different competitions going on at once. It takes years of watching in order to understand most of what is happening. I have been watching as much as possible since 1986 and I can't say that I can figure it all out even now. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll see what I can do with some of those questions David.

Scoring of special stages is defined as part of the race.  As far as I know there is not a set rule that says for example, this climb is so steep or so long and so the points are as follows.  The points and the number of riders who can gain them is defined in advance, so every rider knows the score - so to speak.  On climbs generally the longer and steeper the more points that will be available for the first one across.  The more points available for the first rider then means the more riders who can be awarded points on a descending scale for 2nd., 3rd., etc..  In some cases I think I have seen points available for up to 15 riders (maybe more) on others it is just the first three.  The points all go towards awarding the special jerseys - green for sprinting, polka dot for king of the mountains.  In addition some special stages will have time bonuses.  

Sprints - the sprint finish flag is the end of the sprint section, the beginning is wherever the riders in contention decide it starts.  In some cases of a one man break away it could be argued it starts many kilometres from the sprint end.  Where there is a group of sprinters it may mean the sprint starts only a 100m or so from the flag - but will be preluded by a lot of tactics to get a rider in the optimum spot for that final sprint.

The pelleton is rather roughly defined as the biggest group of riders.  When it comes to deciding the timing of any rider completing the stage, if the wheel of one rider overlaps with a part of the bike of the rider in front, he is awarded the same time as the rider in front.  I get the impression at times that overlap might be a bit loosely interpreted, but then my viewpoint (or rather the camera viewpoint) is generally not straight across the finish line.  What this means is that with a bunch finish, all of the riders in the bunch will get the same time.  This is as well as the pelleton getting their own time for everyone in that group.  The rule applies anywhere in the line-up when the cyclist finishes.

• Like 1