RMweb

New Hornby Announcement - Class 56 56303 in DCR Livery

Derails Models

completely agree, why are the grills still sunken? and the handrails still out of that awful plastic, and the horn grills printed on still ... it is a shame that the Hornby 56 is still let down by silly errors that just didn't need to be there, but yet with every release they are never fixed (Yes I know that will mean investment and higher production costs etc) and at a higher RRP that is climbing higher with every release they do.

it looks good enough, so I'll probably buy one as itll save having to get the green for a respray, and ive seen the real one enough times on various spoil trains, the Didcot flyash train also and various Railvac moves too, perfect for 2010-present period

NL

I hope the DCR logo is correct - I produced the original and Hornby never consulted me for dimensions, Pantone references, etc!
(Can I claim copyright fees for my original work? :onthequiet: )

dcr2.png

dcr.png

Edited by Holmesfeldian

I hope the DCR logo is correct - I produced the original and Hornby never consulted me for dimensions, Pantone references, etc!

dcr2.png

dcr.png

I've also gotten in touch with Hornby and given them a more accurate representation. Let's see what can be done. It's not something that most people will notice anyway.

dcr2.png

dcr.png

But that isn't how it appears on the 56303, the R is marginally smaller than the DC so that a white line appears around the R, and inside the opening of the R https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class56/e4a133ec8

Paul

"I've also gotten in touch with Hornby and given them a more accurate representation. Let's see what can be done. It's not something that most people will notice anyway"

These have been manufactured, painted, boxed, finished, and sent out to dealers. Hornby couldn't give a monkeys chuff about getting details right at the design stage, I would go and purchase one and eat it if they attempted any corrections now  :jester: 

Edited by blueeighties

But that isn't how it appears on the 56303, the R is marginally smaller than the DC so that a white line appears around the R, and inside the opening of the R https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class56/e4a133ec8

Paul

Not quite Paul, nothing is smaller or larger, in typography terms "stroke" has been added (inside) to all letters to give a contrasting border to the "R" on the dark green. You can't see it on the DC 'cos it's either the same colour or a near match.

On the application to the grey loco(s) this is more apparent as I think they've used a different colour set.

Knew I'd seen this. This picture of Paul's shows the stroke applied to the D&C only, for a clearer definition against a light background colour. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class56/h3bee3be0

The reasons for Hornby's resulting model are one of two possibilities.

1) Balls up with the application of the DCR graphic

2) The model isn't quite as dimensionally accurate as we'd possibly thought!

As I said, I think I could live with this minor issue alone, it's the beam slots and rad-fan grilles that put me off the RRP.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

Hornby haven't done many retailers limited editions for some time. I can only think of Kernow doing a handful recently from the last few years

I was always under the illusion that if Hornby (or Bachmann) did a commission that the dealer or who ever wanted done had to put a substantial non refundable deposit down before any work was started so the risk to the manufacturer was minimised. I was told this by a model shop I used to frequent and they wanted to commission a wagon to be sold through their shop.

I never understood why a commission run is 504 or some other odd number, why not make it a straight 500?

I don't think any of the info sent to Hornby will make any difference as the model is on a boat heading to the UK due August.

Not unless it's being air-freighted in. Whilst it may be too late to advise them, a lot of models do get air-freighted in

I was always under the illusion that if Hornby (or Bachmann) did a commission that the dealer or who ever wanted done had to put a substantial non refundable deposit down before any work was started so the risk to the manufacturer was minimised. I was told this by a model shop I used to frequent and they wanted to commission a wagon to be sold through their shop.

I never understood why a commission run is 504 or some other odd number, why not make it a straight 500?

Because the commissioning organisation pays for the livery samples etc as well as the 500 production models. (CJL)

• Like 1

As someone who has commissioned 2 separate specially commissioned wagons from Bachmann on behalf of the Midland Railway Society I can advise that it is because you get 4 wagons in a box and 18 boxes in a carton of 72.

So 7 cartons gets you (if you’re lucky!) 504 wagons.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As seemingly the only person to order 56303 (if this thread is anything to go by!), mine has arrived.

Loco looks good to me, with the paint finish and printed detail up to the decent standard that Hornby achieve. The only thing I'll say is that the Green might perhaps be just a touch too dark?

There's the usual bag of pipes, screw link couplings and coupling guards. Only critisism here is that the air pipes are unpainted and have flash on them, which seems a bit stingy on a £130 model. The last 56 I picked up had cleaned up and painted pipes.

After being chipped up and run in, it'll have the detailing added and be weathered up. No issues with the running of the model, but I note that compared to the DCC Sound Colas example I have, it's fitted with an 8-pin socket rather than a 21-pin one.

Anyway here's a few pictures (taken on the phone), including the best picture I have of the real loco.

post-7258-0-41996600-1536261828_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-01096200-1536261837_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-91340100-1536261840_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-49189000-1536261849_thumb.jpg

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
  • Like 5

Yeah, the flyash trains out of Didcot is probably the most notable DCR working. Everytime I went up there to photograph it, 56303 was working except for one occasion when 56311 was being used.

A trawl of Flickr brings up mainly light loco movements, though it has been used on the Class 707 unit deliveries and associated barrier wagon moves, as well as hauling On Track Plant or wagon moves.

While a nice loco, it's use is somewhat limited unfortunatley.

Andy.

Yeah, the flyash trains out of Didcot is probably the most notable DCR working. Everytime I went up there to photograph it, 56303 was working except for one occasion when 56311 was being used.

A trawl of Flickr brings up mainly light loco movements, though it has been used on the Class 707 unit deliveries and associated barrier wagon moves, as well as hauling On Track Plant or wagon moves.

While a nice loco, it's use is somewhat limited unfortunatley.

Andy.

Did it do the barrington spoil trains ? That would open up a whole host of imagined or “ near truth “ workings

Looking through pictures taken this year, it does appear 56303 has worked some of the Barrington trains.

I suppose one advantage of a loco like this, is that you can tag anything behind it and say it's hired in, or on a short term flow and the like.

Andy.

Looking through pictures taken this year, it does appear 56303 has worked some of the Barrington trains.

I suppose one advantage of a loco like this, is that you can tag anything behind it and say it's hired in, or on a short term flow and the like.

Andy.

Agreed. I haven't understood the moaning about this - very few modellers would be able to have such a versatile single loco. I don't get out much these days but have photographed it at Both Derby and here in Holgate sidings double heading (it may not have been working??) with 56311 https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=56303

Paul

Agreed. I haven't understood the moaning about this - very few modellers would be able to have such a versatile single loco. I don't get out much these days but have photographed it at Both Derby and here in Holgate sidings double heading (it may not have been working??) with 56311 https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=56303

Paul

Versatile loco ? My BR blue class 47,not this thing....can’t run it on parcels, aggregate, oil, passenger.....etc etc.....

Checkmate...:)

• RMweb Premium

Its probably all to do with the tooling setup in the factories which are geared round multiples of X. Just a in computing* this sometimes results in 'odd sounding' numbers.

In other words if they can produce X models per shift then multiply that by Y shifts = 504

*e.g. 16 rather than 15, 128 rather than 125, 256 rather than 250, 1024 rather than 1000, etc

Its probably all to do with the tooling setup in the factories which are geared round multiples of X. Just a in computing* this sometimes results in 'odd sounding' numbers.

In other words if they can produce X models per shift then multiply that by Y shifts = 504

M

*e.g. 16 rather than 15, 128 rather than 125, 256 rather than 250, 1024 rather than 1000, etc

As someone who has commissioned 2 separate specially commissioned wagons from Bachmann on behalf of the Midland Railway Society I can advise that it is because you get 4 wagons in a box and 18 boxes in a carton of 72.

So 7 cartons gets you (if you’re lucky!) 504 wagons.