Paypal use the "Gift Option"

Hi People, I thought I would just point out a thing on Payapl, just incase people do not know, If you buy something off the classifieds and people take Paypal, be kind and send the money via the gift option, this will save 3.5% of the cost going on fees.

If you cannot find it, it is in the "send money" option, then click the "Personal tab" then the gift option appears.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

Hi People, I thought I would just point out a thing on Payapl, just incase people do not know, If you buy something off the classifieds and people take Paypal, be kind and send the money via the gift option, this will save 3.5% of the cost going on fees.

If you cannot find it, it is in the "send money" option, then click the "Personal tab" then the gift option appears.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Craig.

A nice idea, but if things go wrong I'm pretty sure I'm correct in thinking that you can't claim the money back in the event of fraud/non-delivery etc.

Brian

Ah, but don't you lose all the protection that paying by Paypal brings?

A case of all up-side for the seller and all down-side for the buyer :(

[Ed] must speed up my typing...

but most of us Modellers are honest people "hopefully"

So you hope so - perhaps a read through the O gauge Class 14 thread might change your mind ... also experience shows sadly all is never quite what it seems.

Brian and Kenton - you are quite correct, and unfortunately we're fairly regularly party to evidence to suggest that Muddy's trust is misplaced.

... it is opportune to remind all buyers that they do not have any form of protection or ability to recover money if they use the gift option. Only use when you know you can 100% trust the seller.

I accept that some latitude may be appropriate when you really know someone's colours. If you don't then please show due caution. I've had to intervene in several cases where people haven't received goods or they're not as advertised and to pressure for refunds even so far as demanding tracking numbers for goods or refunds. I can obviously be more punitive than eBay in terms of membership or reputation than the likes of eBay but I am obviously not involved in the transaction so cannot dip into the seller's money like Paypal can. Besides they get paid for offering the service.

If anyone chooses to work outside the rules then it can limit the realistic chances of me achieving a resolution. Please be warned.

For the above reasons, it's not forum policy to endorse its use, quite apart from any possible infringement of Paypal/ebay's own rules that it might involve. Although much maligned, they are after all simply charging a fee for using a commercial service, and they are in return providing convenience and a degree of protection. Because that protection is often not needed, it does tend to make people forget that it's there ;)

Cheers.

I know what you are saying with the protection, but most of us Modellers are honest people "hopefully"

Its not just the sellers who are dishonest a very good and honest friend of mine who sells weathered loco's on e-bay from "NORTHERN" England has just been ripped off by some toerag from Halesowen in the West Midlands who received goods left positive feedback,sent an e-mail saying how good the item was and then one month later claims it has not arrived. The joke of all this is that Paypal have taken the money off of my friends account and made him the guilty party in all this. Frankly this low life has now been given the green light to rip off some other decent person simply by the fact that Paypals interest seems to be just making a fast buck.I dare say our learned friend "Horsetan" might suggest the small claims court for some redress,but any advice he could offer would be gratefully received and passed on to my friend via his Grandaughter "EMMY".

The Gift option on Paypal may save the Seller of goods fees but I believe the fees are then paid for buy the buyer of goods trying to send the money. It looks a great option for sellers but buyers beware!!

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

I dare say our learned friend "Horsetan" might suggest the small claims court for some redress,but any advice he could offer would be gratefully received and passed on to my friend via his Grandaughter "EMMY".

Hi,

Not Horsetan I'm afraid but I've used the Small Claims procedure for a car related claim, back in the days when you actually "went to court" (actually just a room, no wigs etc etc.). Now you can do it all online:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Not only could you go for the thieving little scroat (a legal technical term), but possibly Paypal also. The latter are far less likely to defend the claim because even if they won it would cost them more than was being claimed (worth knowing in general - companies often roll over and pay up for small amounts "as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liability" cos' it's just not worth defending the claim.

If you go for the scroat, always remember that if they have nothing you can't claim it back (e.g. no job, living off benefits etc. etc.). But if they have their own house etc. (easy to check - you have their name and address and a call to the Land Registry office in that area will confirm who owns the property. I believe they may charge for this - a fiver I think - but if you get a friendly officer and explain the situation they may tell you as a freebie, since all you need to do is confirm that Mr Scroat owns the place). Why is this useful? Because if he still won't pay up after losing the court case you can start getting evil and get a legal Charge placed on the property. Then he can't sell it....

Or you could sell the debt to one of those nice debt collection agencies, who rack up charges like there's no tommorrow. Look for one owned by an ex.Para. named Vinnie who owns a big doggie :)

p.s. Not legally qualified etc. etc.

HTH Brian

There's a good website here, that includes discussion boards on Legal subjects (and also Wills and Probate). Worth reading just for the entertainment factor alone, and often contributed to by the "Learned Friends" who know what to do...

http://www.fool.co.uk/specials/2003/specials030325.htm?ref=folders

Hi,

Not Horsetan I'm afraid but I've used the Small Claims procedure for a car related claim, back in the days when you actually "went to court" (actually just a room, no wigs etc etc.). Now you can do it all online:

https://www.moneycla...smco2/index.jsp

Not only could you go for the thieving little scroat (a legal technical term), but possibly Paypal also. The latter are far less likely to defend the claim because even if they won it would cost them more than was being claimed (worth knowing in general - companies often roll over and pay up for small amounts "as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liability" cos' it's just not worth defending the claim.

My partner is legally trained and can confirm that's pretty much accurate. It costs £30 to issue a claim in the county court (can be more for larger amounts) but that gets claimed back from the other side if you win. In this case Paypal is laible too, and I would recomend suing both the buyer AND Paypal (you can specify multiple defendants in the same case). Paypal has acted wrongly by ignoring the evidence, and in effect colluding with the seller to obtain money by deception. They cannot hide behind any nebulous claims of "nothing to do with us" or some spureous terms in the contract, as English law always trumps these (your statutory rights cannot be waived when signing or agreeing to a contract).

Before taking such steps, I would suggest pursuing all steps with Paypal - they may have a very legitimate defense that the matter is still in dispute and you have not first provided them with all available evidence. I thinnk Paypal's first line of resolving these matters is to put the money back into the buyer's account and then wait for the seller to provide evidence of delivery and contact with the seller to determine if the supplied goods were not faulty or returned by the buyer. I believe the ebay transaction is governed by the internet/distance selling regulations where the onus is very much changed in favour of the buyer.

My partner is legally trained and can confirm that's pretty much accurate. It costs £30 to issue a claim in the county court (can be more for larger amounts) but that gets claimed back from the other side if you win. In this case Paypal is laible too, and I would recomend suing both the buyer AND Paypal (you can specify multiple defendants in the same case). Paypal has acted wrongly by ignoring the evidence, and in effect colluding with the seller to obtain money by deception. They cannot hide behind any nebulous claims of "nothing to do with us" or some spureous terms in the contract, as English law always trumps these (your statutory rights cannot be waived when signing or agreeing to a contract).

Whilst I agree that you can go through the Small Claims Court, which you can do online quite simply, once the initial costs have gone through, if they do not pay, and you wish to take it further then you have to pay more up front.

Although this is added to the claim together with interest, if they don't pay, there is very little you can do about it without spending more money.

My wife is a childminder and we tried to recover unpaid fees using this method, but, gave up after realising they did not care about court orders and visits from Bailiffs, it just was not viable to keep putting good money after bad

Archived