Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

WD0-6-0

I've been a forum member for 4 years at least now and I've not posted much,and have had a couple of failed attempts at layout building none of which have made it onto the forum. While I haven't posted much I have still been modelling, lots of it probably worth posting about (if not up to the same quality of some of you on here)

I've decided it's time to start a thread worth maintaining* and I hope by doing so it'll force me to see a layout project through!

So I decided it was time to build a layout, I've always fancied building something dockside, I love the interaction between rail and marine industries and I work, for Pendennis Super Yachts, on Falmouth Docks (which had an extensive internal railway system until relatively recently and I believe the last operational industrial steam loco in the uk) and while I'd love to model Falmouth I don't have a massive space to do it! What I do have is a basic L shaped frame left from a previous abandoned project, the baseboard are 10 inches deep and each leg of the L is about 2m give or take a few 10s of mk1.

I'm no trackplan expert and unfortunately there is little left of the track on the PSY side of Falmouth Docks to study layout so I have laid out a rough plan on the boards to what I think could provide an operatinaly interesting layout and would love some feedback as to how to make what's probably overcomplicated spaghetti, much more realistic. I quite like what's there but would definitely welcome feedback. Most of the baseoards are not fixed to the frame and will be replaced as it's low quality MDF and lots of it is bowed. The track likewise is not fixed, it's merely lots of old track that I had in stock laid out to give an impression, lots of that will also be bought specially for this layout. (The corner were the track "levitates" will of course be filled with baseboard)

Being dockside I'm aware the curves are quite sharp and will be unsuitable for my larger locos but I don't envisage running larger than an 0-6-0 tank regularly and occasionally something like an 0-6-0 tender loco. The sidings are planned to be large enough to accommodate 7-9 4 wheeled wagons and a loco (loco size dependant) still with room to shunt.

The track as laid out is what I imagine to be scenic, where the boards go bare i imagine as fiddle yard hidden behind a warehouse perhaps.

post-18430-0-75364500-1532536436_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-83505200-1532536518_thumb.jpg

If the curves to the outer most siding can be made shallow enough I'd quite like to run some bogie parcels stock but that's a bonus not a requirement.

The layout will be OO set in the BR steam period but not regionally tied and not especially based on anywhere real, it's more a place for me to enjoy my weathered wagons and smaller locos.

I'm also thinking of extending at the bottom of the frame height to represent the water but that'll be later.

*my past threads were not worth maintaining, when I first joined the forum I was in my early teens and perhaps not old enough to be let loose with a keyboard, I'm now 19 and would like to build a proper, serious layout.

Right, apologies that this first post is so long but now I think I've got my ideas down, thanks for reading if you've made it this far without being bored by my ramblings and I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 3

Ok, to make the proposed plan a little easier to interpret I have drawn out (an admittedly low quailty) plan and a simpler alternativepost-18430-0-64321200-1532606565_thumb.jpgpost-18430-0-30017800-1532606595_thumb.jpg

A key to the drawings

1-a building or large hut

2-a loading platform for goods vans/parcels stock

3-road and dock entrance

4-alley with abandoned buildings/houses

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1

I'm also looking at changing the layout name for one I suspect North Quay is already taken but I needed a title to open the thread with. I don't want anything too region specific but wouldn't mind if it was Falmouth inspired

Personally I like the first plan with the diamond crossing - that just screams “DOCK!” to me for some reason!

You could have a quay with a couple of cranes and a tramp steamer to the right of the double siding above the crossing. That way van traffic or opens could be shunted into those sidings for loading/unloading. It might be an idea to incorporate a crossover at the end of those sidings to allow them to be operated as a run around loop.

I’d also have the uppermost of your fiddle yard entrance tracks running into a dockside building and the lower one acting as the link to the rest of the dock system. Your third siding with the kickback could be backed by warehouses and act as a headshunt. The kickback could be an engine shed or another entrance to a dockside building.

Looks like a lot of potential and being based nowhere in particular allows you to run all sorts of traffic. Likewise the name ‘North Quay’ is sufficiently vague to suit this.

Going to follow this with interest!

• Like 1

Hi Tortuga

Thanks for looking! I'm glad you like the layout with the crossing, that's my favourite too and was a little worried people would think it overcomplicated but I'm glad it makes you think Dock!

I already had in mind to model the quayside and a little water at the bottom of frame level but I like your idea of a tramper and I hadn't even given a crane anything but I agree it would fit well!

I agree about the run around, I think those sidings do need one to release any locos on that side though most locos will be run storage siding side of any stock.

The layout is actually meant to be viewed from inside the L although the photos I've posted so far do seem to contradict that, I like the idea of one line running into a warehouse a lot but might have to swap to the other line. I've got a couple of ideas for the kickback, it's main purpose is as a headshunt but I think I'll include a minimalistic loco servicing point too, perhaps a small coal heap and standpipe next to a small office building?

I may still change the name but it's beginning to grow on me

Thanks

Rhys

WD0-6-0; minimalist servicing point would look good; small heap of coal with shovel and a couple of buckets, standpipe and hose with associated puddle and, perhaps, a small wooden structure (shed or office sound too grand!) to keep a few tools and cans of oil in... As a headshunt, it would only serve the left hand siding on your first diagram...

‘Tramp steamer’ seems to be a catch all term for any merchant ship without a schedule - the international ones I was thinking of were apparently 355’ long and 48’ wide (1420mm by 192mm in OO), so a smaller coastal one might be better or, because the main bridge was roughly central, model half of one!

Oddly enough, I imagined you’d intended to view the layout inside the L shape. As for looking complex, I always associate docks with having complex trackwork for some reason. I’ll be honest; my knowledge of dock railways is very limited, but what always springs to mind are the older ‘general carrier’ docks rather than ones for specific traffic. Therefore, I always imagine that the lines running about the quaysides have been added into existing infrastructure to meet the changing sizes of vessels or amounts/types of goods.

Hope that makes sense!

I would not worry too much about whether the name North Quay has been used by someone else, the were probably North Quays in many places.

Another common example is Baltic Wharf, which can be found wherever there was a wharf that received timber from, er, the Baltic!

As a kid I visited a few dockside locations with track still in place, but sadly the traffic was gone. I was always fascinated by how the tracks would seemingly disappear in all directions heading between buildings, and into buildings. You might try to hide the end of some tracks as though they go further.

Have a look at the superb EM layout Canada Street which features exchange sidings that are vague enough to allow a wide variety of stock to run,

cheers

• Like 1

Very true Rivercider, I must admit the name is growing on me, I think North Quay will remain North Quay.

I've found a Dapol dockside crane kit that I didn't even know I had so I'm going to build that up tonight, I've also got 3 short radius points today so I can make a start on the track work as soon as the frame and baseboard are complete. I'm not a fan of MDF but as the layout will be kept in doors and what I've got is in good condition I will use that. This is the first layout I'm building on my own so I'm not expecting greatness anyway it's more a practice piece (That's not to say I don't want it to be nice of course!)

I like the idea of making it seem like tracks go off in multiple directions, I might see how I can adjust my track plan to include that.

I might have enough space to model the whole ship but that'll be a long job and probably finished last!

Thanks for your input everyone!

Edited by WD0-6-0

There's no scenery in place, the baseboard aren't even cut properly let alone fixed and half the track is missing yet I still see an impression of what I'm going for in this image.

The crane is waiting for a deliberately thin grey top coat (leaving plenty of red primer showing through) and the wheels need fitting along with rails to run on.

post-18430-0-27550100-1533154381_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good so far WD 0-6-0, I've started building a quayside layout myself do I'll be following this with interest. Have you thought about how you will make your inset track?

Steve.

Looks good so far WD 0-6-0, I've started building a quayside layout myself do I'll be following this with interest. Have you thought about how you will make your inset track?

Steve.

I used filler in a very basic practice diorama a few months ago but that was actually more to represent ash than concrete. I have seen some excellent and convincing concrete made out of card but it's softer and I've also seen a lot that just look like card and I'm not sure my efforts will be that convincing. Lastly I've thought about clay but that's kind of an adaption on the filler idea. I'm going to do some trials and see what I think and you all think but unfortunately that'll have to wait as this month the car needs a new windscreen...

Looking good WD0-6-0. You've got a nice space there and have developed a very interesting design. I think the trackplan is refreshingly different and offers lots of operating potential. I've always liked L-shaped layouts and the thought of one has always appealed to me!

Sounds like you've really got the bit between your teeth so keep up the good work!

PS - my sympathy regarding he car windscreen but remember real life often gets in the way of progress. However it'll give a chance to fully develop your ideas and plans and make sure that you get things right. There is no need to rush andhe railway will always be there, as a release from annoyances such as needing to pay for repairs to the car!

Edited by south_tyne

Thanks South Tyne for your interest, I do hope I don't disappoint you all!

You're all inspiring me to keep it going! I'm away this weekend but I have a few hours on Tuesday to work on it before I go back to work, I hope to get the crane finished and tackle the boards though I won't finish them.

I've had a lot of positive comments about the track plan which has really surprised me, I did expect a little revision to make it more realistic but I'm delighted it's received so much positivity. I am going to tweak it slightly to incorporate the idea of the tracks going further but that won't be much change.

The sudden and unexpected expense has slowed things down but it won't stop me now!

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

Hello WD. Looks good so far. Like the track plan, it looks like it will give enough operational variety. A dockside has good scope for making a lot of old buildings / warehouses. Best of luck with both the car and the layout.

Hi agaun Rhys,

Yes I will be following your progress, however fast (or slow!). Just take your time and enjoy it :)

Not surprised that the trackplan has recieved such positive comments, it is excellent and great that it is a little different, particularly the use of the diamond crossing. As I said before, I love the L-shaped format too. Personally I would drop the loco servicing facilities and just use that as an extra siding location to increase operational scope but that is a very personal thing.

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

I do like the minimalist loco point, I'm thinking pile of ash and pile of coal, maybe a standpipe but nothing more however the changes I'm thinking of actually go through that area so it might have to go. (I'm away at the moment otherwise I would share a plan of my idea)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about building but I agree that it will be lots of run down warehouses. I've always fancied an excuse to use the scenecraft abandoned houses so they might appear somewhere. I have some of my Grandads old buildings, unfortunately that's all that's left of his layout, but if any of them fit I'll use them too.

Thanks everyone

Rhys

I used filler in a very basic practice diorama a few months ago but that was actually more to represent ash than concrete. I have seen some excellent and convincing concrete made out of card but it's softer and I've also seen a lot that just look like card and I'm not sure my efforts will be that convincing. Lastly I've thought about clay but that's kind of an adaption on the filler idea. I'm going to do some trials and see what I think and you all think but unfortunately that'll have to wait as this month the car needs a new windscreen...

Hope you get your car sorted out soon. I'm not sure what techniques to use, I've done small sections using DAS clay, and that is good for ash ballast, but never a whole layout. I was thinking about card.

Steve.

Well the good news is the car is fixed but the damage to this months modelling budget has been done but fortunately there's plenty to be done that doesn't involve spending any money at all.

I present to you a few more pictures of things posed on the boards, a slightly more complete crane and a few more wagons that will appear on the layout.

I think the USA needs a dusting of dirt now though.

post-18430-0-25839900-1533641768_thumb.jpgpost-18430-0-87718200-1533641800_thumb.jpgpost-18430-0-03299600-1533641831_thumb.jpg

I also found this building, I'm not sure if it could be modified to be suitable or not, at the very least it would require some restoration!

post-18430-0-92530600-1533641855_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

Here is the slightly altered track plan (minus one missing curve) as you can see the old headshunt/loco coaling point is gone, replaced by a track that leads to "other parts of the dock complex" (in reality nowhere)

post-18430-0-66058000-1533667752_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-82360500-1533667790_thumb.jpg

I may look into perhaps placing a water pipe for the locos elsewhere, perhaps beside one of the buildings but for now it's all gone.

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

Hi WD0-6-0

The Middleton Press book Branch lines to Falmouth, Helston and St Ives has got track plans of the dockyard down the ages plus a number of photos if you are seeking inspiration for the layout.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for dropping in, I've got that book somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. I've been searching for it since starting the layout.it is an excellent book!

Thanks

Rhys

• 4 weeks later...

Only just found this thread, but am really interested to see this develop. Building a dockside layout is high on my list of 'layouts-I'd-like-to-build' and I've been collecting pointwork and crane kits ready for just such a thing. There was also a North Quay at Great Yarmouth, and I can highly recommend having a look at some of the photos of that system for inspiration. The trains there actually ran down the public streets and appeared out of gaps between buildings etc. Marvellous stuff!

• Like 2