Neilson 0-4-0ST in EM gauge

That is amazing. If you'd have showed that without showing the build I would never have thought that it started out as the old Hornby Smokey Joe. I think I'm going to be on the lookout for a bodyshell for one of these now.

Ah, but you now know a man who may be able to help you there, don't you. :drag:

Edited by 5050

• 3 weeks later...

Also I modified the Branchlines piston rod/small end casting to make a more reliable sliding fit on the single slidebar:

I have got a Branchlines chassis for my attempt at building one of these. I can't work out how the crosshead is supposed to be kept in place on the single slide bar. The crosshead has a kind of slot at the back, which is about the size of the slide bar, but there's no means of keeping it up against the bar. Can you tell and show how you have done this, please?

I have got a Branchlines chassis for my attempt at building one of these. I can't work out how the crosshead is supposed to be kept in place on the single slide bar. The crosshead has a kind of slot at the back, which is about the size of the slide bar, but there's no means of keeping it up against the bar. Can you tell and show how you have done this, please?

I think Branchlines intend for that tab on the connecting rod to somehow fold over but I didn't like the look of it so I cut off all that gubbins, including the bit of crosshead at the top of the piston rod, and took a short length of square section brass tube, squashed it slightly in the vice, then filed it back to a reasonable shape and soldered it to the top of the small end. The slidebar runs inside it. Best not looked at too closely but I think it will be reliable.

Edited by Barclay

• 1 month later...

I'm still on with my pugbash and it's at the point where I need to fit some springs. The Branchlines chassis kit for some inexplicable reason had them below the frames, so I cut them off but now need some to put above the running plate. Can I ask where your springs were sourced from?

Apparently some of these had springs below the footplate but as you say most appear to have them on top. Mine were cast brass from Gibson. Possibly a little big but they look OK. Looking at the catalogue I think they must be 4M652 GER locomotive springs as there aren't any others that I can see. 2 packs required as you only get a pair. 

Look forward to seeing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...