Electrofrog Y point

Hi all,

probably a really daft question - and potentially been answered I'm sure - here but I'm a complete electricals dud. If I am planning a small 'tuning fork' layout using a Peco electrofrog Y point, do I need to do any fancy wiring? Or can I just plug it in and play?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Electrofrog points should have two Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) fitted to the ends of the points Vee rails.  Only the Peco 3 way Electrofrog point and ideally the double and single slip need frog polarity switching. But all others can be used straight from the box.  The only exception to not fitting IRJs is where the track leading away from a Electrofrog point is to a dead end siding and the sidings rails have no power feed wires connected to them. 

If you wish to improve conductivity through the point, fit a point or point motor operated change-over switch.    The 'C' or Common tag of the switch goes to the frog and the bus or rails above connect to the switches remaining two tags. Which way around these two connect is impossible to say, as it depends on which way around the switch is fitted. But if once wired and should you get a short circuit, swap around the two feed wires leaving the frog feed wire alone.

Edited by Brian

Electrofrog points should have two Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) fitted to the ends of the points Vee rails.  Only the Peco 3 way Electrofrog point and ideally the double and single slip need frog polarity switching. But all others can be used straight from the box.  The only exception to not fitting IRJs is where the track leading away from a Electrofrog point is to a dead end siding and the sidings rails have no power feed wires connected to them. 

If you wish to improve conductivity through the point, fit a point or point motor operated change-over switch.    The 'C' or Common tag of the switch goes to the frog and the bus or rails above connect to the switches remaining two tags. Which way around these two connect is impossible to say, as it depends on which way around the switch is fitted. But if once wired and should you get a short circuit, swap around the two feed wires leaving the frog feed wire alone.

Thank you, Brian. Much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

probably a really daft question - and potentially been answered I'm sure - here but I'm a complete electricals dud. If I am planning a small 'tuning fork' layout using a Peco electrofrog Y point, do I need to do any fancy wiring? Or can I just plug it in and play?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Code 75 or code 100 rail Chris?

The contacts on the blades are much better with code 100...with code 75 the contacts aren't so good

Phil