RMweb

Golden Age Models 00 Gresley Coaches

• RMweb Premium

I bought 8 of these coaches from Rails of Sheffield two weeks ago. Parcelforce moved them around the country for a few extra days but they finally arrived.

I'm really pleased with their appearance and quality but I am having difficulty keeping them on the track. I found that the bogies were screwed up fairly tight and loosening them helped a few of them.

I have been rolling them by hand only so far as their couplings, which resemble Kadee but are a little larger and higher than any Kadee coupling my locos have.

I'm surprised at the distance between coaches when coupled together so if anyone can suggest or show how to get them more like the way Bachmann or Hornby coaches can be improved with Keen or similar mods I'd be grateful.

I emailed Golden Age but received no reply. I understand they are in some difficulty but I'm still disappointed. I have not contacted Rails as when buying them, though pleasant to deal with, I think the sales staff have no knowledge of these coaches.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of these? There is very little out there that I can find.

These are collector products primarily in my opinion, most go into cabinets for their fine appearance to be admired. There's a relatively brief thread titled Golden Age in the Smaller Suppliers section of 'Products and Trade' which you can read through. Very little there regarding any actual operation of the product by owners.

If you want to make them run reliably and close coupled, then you are on your own in working out the how, unless by happy chance there is another operating owner who posts here. Personal suggestion, body mounted Kadees would make a good job of the coupling, provided your curves are 30"+ radius; and I really wouldn;t expect such coaches to run very well on anything smaller.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tips, I'll browse through. I'm sure you're right regarding collectors but I was hoping one or two folk on here might be running them.

I'm fairly sure I'll go ahead and alter them to take Kadees, it would take strong springs to use Keen type! That said a few weeks ago we coupled up 100 wagons, mostly 4 wheel but some parcel bogie vans and all on Kadees and the only fault was one NEM type pulled out of it's NEM socket!

I also will consider new wheels as the flanges seem very fine on these, don't know yet if the bogies can be persuaded to allow a change. The curves are down to maybe 20" in places and everything else works fine, but you're probably right!

Syd

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I maybe wrong but I don't think Kadees  would be strong enough in use to pull metal constructed coaches as I've tried these with kit built Comet ones without success. Perhaps the brass hook and bar type favoured by Tony Wright and others might be the better option on the GA models. Trial and error will get you something that works to your satisfaction.

• RMweb Premium

I maybe wrong but I don't think Kadees  would be strong enough in use to pull metal constructed coaches as I've tried these with kit built Comet ones without success. Perhaps the brass hook and bar type favoured by Tony Wright and others might be the better option on the GA models. Trial and error will get you something that works to your satisfaction.

I don't think even all 8 Golden Age coaches would weigh as much as 100 wagons, Kadees do seem to be very strong. Meantime you've reminded me I have a green diesel somewhere that was detailed and weathered for me and it has that wire and hook on one end.

Never a shortage of things to do when you have this hobby!