• RMweb Gold

It's pretty good isn't it the bathing sand? And really good value. Have to agree you've done a cracking job on the build of those wagons. The etches look like neat and tidy. I don't mind kit building, but I have a hang up over bending etches it they are appear complicated, hence why I've still got 3 NGS RMC hoppers on the workbench, which have been "in build" for about 3 years.....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stuey said:

It's pretty good isn't it the bathing sand? And really good value. Have to agree you've done a cracking job on the build of those wagons. The etches look like neat and tidy. I don't mind kit building, but I have a hang up over bending etches it they are appear complicated, hence why I've still got 3 NGS RMC hoppers on the workbench, which have been "in build" for about 3 years.....

Hi Stuey,

Many thanks for mailing the 'bathing sand'. My honest opinion is that some of the product is too small and dusty. I am wondering how the product will appear once glued-will it look 'muddy'? I believe on balance the product has a larger grain size than sand, sand looked wrong when I tested it in the wagons, colour and texture. If I could remove the dust from the product I would have to say for fresh ballast it is very close to perfect.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

If I could remove the dust from the product I would have to say for fresh ballast it is very close to perfect.

A case of finding the right sized sieve? Or if the grains are too small for that, how about some gauze?

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

I have ballasted a short piece of track, not yet glued down. The track is British Finescale. From left to right we have- bathing sand neat from the pack, centre- graded bathing sand (I used some tights as a screen to remove finer particles, to the right  (and too large) but shown as a comparison is the Dapol product. While I would be happy to use the bathing sand around the depot area for the running lines I would use the graded bathing sand, do you agree, please let me know.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1802 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

The Dapol product just looks wrong now.

I have to say, I like the middle.

The left is probably closer to reality, but sometimes that is lost at scale. The slightly oversize middle, to the naked eye at 'viewing distance' is probably the best trade-off for level of detail.

I have to say, I really like the colour!

• Agree 2

Hi Everyone,

Here's the glued and dried version- I still prefer the middle ballast, that's the bathing sand but graded to remove the finest particles. I also attach a wider view, normal viewing distance?

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1803 (2).JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

Hi Duncan, a none ballast related question.

Am I right in thinking you used two Ratio Midland Signal box kits to make the 'larger' junction signal box?

Hi Ed,

both the station and junction signal boxes are based upon the Ratio Midland Signal box kits. The station is a reduced standard kit while the junction box is made from two kits suitably changed to reflect the prototype. I did also buy an brass etched kit but it was too dificult to change and why bother when the Ratio kit is so good. 

Both boxes are lit and the junction box has internal detail, I regret not putting internal detail in the station box too!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Ed,

both the station and junction signal boxes are based upon the Ratio Midland Signal box kits. The station is a reduced standard kit while the junction box is made from two kits suitably changed to reflect the prototype. I did also buy an brass etched kit but it was too dificult to change and why bother when the Ratio kit is so good. 

Both boxes are lit and the junction box has internal detail, I regret not putting internal detail in the station box too!

Cheers

Duncan

I thought this were the case, the Ratio kit is indeed very nice - lots of fiddly detail!

As a novice, am I right to try and cut the roof and walls with a (new) scalpel type knife, or is there a better way?

I have the interior pack, now that does look very fiddly indeed. I think I'll be using another F-word whilst attempting to put that together!

Hi Ed,

Or a fine razor saw, these have a strong spine and keep the blade perfectly straight I think the brand is Kona.  For the fiddly detail glue one part at a time walk away and leave to dry before the next part, paint pieces first (where appropriate) then there's no need for f words.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

Thanks for all the 'Likes' for my previous post. I was a little dissatisfied with the photos when I compared with prototype photos. So I set about adding  (trying to add) some dried cement powder 'texture' to the wagons. I used a mixture of talc and weathering powder, then (very gently- so to avoid blowing away the powder) air brushed satin varnish over the top to secure. You can decide if you can see a difference in the photos but I assure you they look a whole lot better 'in the flesh'

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

what a lovely rake, I'm looking forward to receiving a rake of cemflos from Revolution in due course and those pictures certainly whet the apetite for what can be done in terms of weathering. Mines won't stay clean for long that's for sure.

Lovely work.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

what a lovely rake, I'm looking forward to receiving a rake of cemflos from Revolution in due course and those pictures certainly whet the apetite for what can be done in terms of weathering. Mines won't stay clean for long that's for sure.

Lovely work.

I hope we don't have to wait too long, however, with the impending emergency from this new virus and the global disruption I think we may be waiting rather longer than anticipated, but this really is of no importance when we consider all the people's and families' lives that will inevitably be lost. I hope you and me both are still here at the other end of this.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 3

Hi

While I've had the air brush out I finally got around to weathering the Shirebrook Tool Van. I have started to customise one of my Sturgeons too with the addition of some plastikard and plastic sections to represent, well not quite sure, I'm just working from a photograph. Still much to do though.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sturgeons and a Minitrix Brake Van

Evening fellow modellers. I do worry that these updates could appear trivial in these worrying times. I have had to set up a mini office in my living room so I can work from home, but many are not only still having to go to work but their jobs are placing them on the front line, such as our health workers and their families, so due respect and thanks to them.

After I finished work today I managed to photograph the progress I made on my sturgeon wagons and a damaged Minitrix brake van. I have loaded the sturgeons and modified them in accordance with some photographs I have, neither are finished yet. Please reply with questions about the loads if you want more details.

The brake van was damaged, you can see some microstrip repairs I have made, the van will be repainted in due course.

Keep well stay safe

Duncan

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Thanks Liam_uk the video is interesting, but also sad. At least the line through Shirebrook remains open, which is good for the local community.

Cheers

Duncan

I lived in the area around the time of the old photos (92-93), at that time the passenger service hadn't reopened.  A work colleagues' Dad worked at Shirebrook Depot and I DIDN'T get round to arranging a visit before I moved away.  Regrets, yes I've had a few......... 

• Like 2

Thanks Northmoor for your reflections. I worked very temporarily out of Shirebrook depot in 1980. Since then I visited only once but that was after the depot had closed, just to take some photographs helping me to build the model.

The model does show the station 'open' I know this is incorrect for the period modelled. I used modellers' license so we could run passenger trains in addition to the freight traffic for the viewing public at exhibitions.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2